HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 5:38 PM
tilted & shifted

Futurist Buildings in Your City

Share photos and descriptions of futurist buildings in your city.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 8:22 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

source.

One of the first futuristic buildings in the world. Beat that sukkaahh. Jaykay but it really is a great futuristic building. Even now, not many towers have such a graceful and futuristic design.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:51 AM
low life in a tall place

Damn, that Space Needle shot is something else.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:52 AM
Crisp and Squishy

by fangbiansile/Urban Zombie

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 1:29 PM
low life in a tall place

I was gonna post the Pearl Tower myself, but that that photo (I absolutely adore that one, UZ) I better lay low.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 6:57 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Ah yes, the Oriental Pearl. Another futuristic tower. It's probably one of the other few good looking towers. The Guangzhou TV Tower is pretty futuristic but it doesn't actually remind me of something from the Jetsons or what humans imagined the future to be like. The Seattle Public Library #1 is pretty futuristic too. Eleven story atrium, high ceilings, spiral floors, open spaces, red floor, reading room. It all mismatches yet matches.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 8:34 PM
low life in a tall place

Would it be completely way off to call the Oriental Pearl somewhat brutalist as well? It certainly comes off that way when looked upon in real life, especially when standing at the base of the tower.

It's a weird building, had it stood anywhere in Europe it would be a complete eye sore and hated by everyone-- but it has become something like Asia's own Eiffel Tower , symbolising the same things that its 100 year older brother did for Europe back in the day. Not only symbolically perhaps as it kinda follows the same design elements as the Eiffel - the "legs" stretching out from the first etage (pearl), another etage further up (second pearl) and a small one at the top (small pearl) and so on.
As a Asian, Chinese and Shanghainese tower, I absolutely love it in its own weird way. It is a tower that just has to be experienced with your own eyes. There's nothing like walking in the narrow art deco alleys of Shanghai's Huangpu distict with the Pearl Tower lurking behind and between every other rooftop. It's downright beautiful in that sense.

I would like to here an opinion of this tower from someone who has visited Shanghai but not lived there. Plinko?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 8:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

i love the pearl tower but it looks like it could use a good cleaning.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 1:59 PM

Tulsa has one of the largest collections of "futurist" architecture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurist_architecture on the ORU campus. Though many of the locals think its ugly, I really like the uniqueness of the architectue and the experience of seeing so much of it all in one place. I think because it is associated with ORU and as with many styles it went through its "fad" phase when new, then got to be seen as old and ugly, but now I think that if people would see it through fresh eyes they would appreciate it more. But old habits die hard lol.

I am excited that the National Trust for Historic Preservation, decided to have Tulsa as the host for its National Convention this year. I hope that along with the usual Art-Deco worship fest they include the Futurist architecture around town, especially the ORU campus. If anything just to show Tulsans that that type of architecture is appreciated as well and should not be reviled or torn down.

http://www.preservationnation.org/re.../training/npc/

Here are some samples of whats on the ORU campus... mostly taken from flickr unless otherwise noted.

by a.saliqa

by mulmatsherm

from wikipedia

by mulmatsherm

by akio105

by mulmatsherm

Though not sure if it fits the "futurist" moniker, the Cityplex was part of the ORU campus and parts of it, especially the lower levels and the interior fit right in with the rest of the campus theme.

by vandrian

by Okie1962

Cityplex interior lobby... definitely "futurist". This is an old pic, they recently tore all this out and remodeled. Some may have thought it looked "tacky", but I try to appreciate all styles from all time periods and think it was a shame to tear that all out. Now its just basic, white columns and marble floors...boooring.

Couple interior shots of some ORU buildings...

by DerekTGreen

almost forgot this one...

by akio105

Here is a condo building near the River. Some call it the Jetsons Building and also think its ugly. But I like it lol.

by mikeybear

And just to round things out. I think the Tulsas new Cesar Pelli building, the BOK Arena, fits as a contemporary verison in the "futurist" category.

by oilerfan

by dsjeffries

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture