HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Haven't gotten over to the new Pier 6 since I've been back, but I will...

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories..._06_25_bk.html
Danger zone! Getting to the new Pier 6 is no joyride

By Gary Buiso

Quote:
When it comes to Brooklyn Bridge Park’s new Pier 6 playground, getting there is none of the fun.

The new mega-play area at the foot of Atlantic Avenue has been earning rave reviews for its water playground, swing area and even its “Slide Mountain” — but users say that walking or biking to the new amenity is a perilous journey fraught with danger at treacherous intersections and highway entrance ramps.

“It’s chaotic — especially with kids,” said Megan Moncrief, a nanny who was dodging cars on Monday afternoon at the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Columbia Street, one block from the waterside Xanadu.

The area’s venerable civic group has quickly jumped on the call for the city to do something.

Judy Stanton, the executive director of the Brooklyn Heights Association said she attended the Pier 6 ribbon-cutting earlier this month, and had a glorious time — up until it was time to go home.

“I walked back and thought, ‘Uh oh, this is scary!’” she recalled of her jaunt along Atlantic Avenue. “They will need to make it safer, and that is the Department of Transportation’s job.”

Three approaches to the park have proved most vexing: Atlantic Avenue, Columbia Street and Pier 7.

• Approaching the pier along Atlantic Avenue is particularly formidable, as pedestrians must cross exit ramps to the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway, encountering eastbound vehicles on Atlantic turning left to get on the highway, along with right-turning cars and trucks.

And at the northern terminus of Columbia Street, a right-on-red signal that allows cars to turn east onto Atlantic is virtually ignored, as vehicles roll through what has now become a major crossing nexus.

With cars and trucks coming from every direction, park-users are befuddled.

“There are no yield signs anywhere,” said confused mom Kathryn Kempton. “It’s time to reassess the traffic pattern.”

• Taking Columbia Street is no walk in the park either.

On the west side, pedestrians must gingerly navigate a narrow two-way bike path without any protective barrier, a tight squeeze for a childless fun-seeker — and an impossible proposition for a parent with a stroller.

And cyclists aren’t immune to the poor planning either.

Hannah Miles said she was biking on her way from Red Hook to DUMBO, when she abruptly reached the end of the lane and headed into oncoming traffic on Furman Street, narrowly missing a car, but falling off her ride.

“The lane shouldn’t just stop like that,” she said. “I was expecting the bike lane to continue, and then I didn’t expect a car to come from Furman Street because there was a big ‘Do not enter’ sign there. It almost hit me!”

• And it’s no better to use the sidewalk that hugs Pier 7, whose entrance is on the south side of Atlantic Avenue, directly across from the playground. That’s because about a 100 trucks rumble in and out of the area each day from the Phoenix Beverage depot on the pier.

“At several places crossing over to the park entrance, children and adults are literally walking in between trucks and buses to hurriedly get to the park,” according to Judi Francis, the president of the Brooklyn Bridge Park Defense Fund, a group that opposes development inside the park.

“This is the fault of state planners for not listening to community suggestion for how to make it safer before it opened,” she added. “It’s irresponsible.”

At one point, there had been talk of a pedestrian tunnel underneath the BQE, providing a safe passage to Pier 6, but Francis said, the idea was summarily ignored.

Brooklyn Bridge Park planners declined to comment, saying only that they are working on a solution.

In anticipation of the pier’s opening, the Department of Transportation did install a pedestrian signal across the BQE on-ramp on the north side of Atlantic Avenue west of Hicks Street. But not all crossings have traffic lights, and the existing lights offer precious little time to cross, according to one area mom too frazzled to give her name.

“Yeah, I was a little worried,” she said. “Let’s just say we ran across as fast as we could.”

Making matters worse, drivers are already dealing with a dangerous situation, as state transportation data reveals that the entrance and exit ramps between Columbia and Hicks have an astonishing 10 to 14 times the national average for accidents.

“The drivers aren’t used to the pedestrians,” noted park-user Ellen Martin.

By all accounts, it’s worth the hassle to get to the $55-million pier play area, with its cornucopia of child-themed attractions, including swings, jungle-gyms and water play zones.

And even more crowds are expected later this summer, as park developers say they will be adding a dog run, volleyball courts, a plant marsh and a restaurant.

— with Ben Kochman

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 8:00 PM
New Yorker for life

From the recently opened Pier 6...

CaptainKidder

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 2:21 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/p...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Park enters a new cycle

By RICH CALDER
August 19, 2010

Quote:
Brooklyn Bridge Park is about to make a key connection.

Within the next week, a new bicycle and pedestrian pathway will connect the open bookends of park space at Pier 1 and Pier 6 -- almost entirely on the site of the planned 1.3-mile waterfront park in Brooklyn, officials said.

It will stretch roughly 15 blocks from Atlantic Avenue to Old Fulton Street.

A four-block stretch of the new path recently surfaced, running north from Pier 6 around the One Brooklyn Bridge Park condo complex before turning onto a barricaded two-way lane on Furman Street, from Joralemon Street until Montague Street

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 9:57 PM
Brooklyn, New York

I cannot wait for the rest of pier 1 to open which is suppose to happen in the next week or so. They have covered the asphalt with gravel which is super awesome.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 2:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmack View Post
I cannot wait for the rest of pier 1 to open which is suppose to happen in the next week or so. They have covered the asphalt with gravel which is super awesome.
Haven't been over to the park in a while, been busy elsewhere. But it's time I got back down there to see what's going on.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:25 AM

that first pic is my new desktop background..what beautiful city New York is, cant wait to visit later this year

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 11:41 AM

nice park this place looks much better than it used to be

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 3:05 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...marks_head.php

Brooklynites Don't Want a Roof Over This Landmark's Head

Friday, August 6, 2010, by Joey

Quote:
Big changes are afoot in Dumbo's Empire-Fulton Ferry Park. The tiny waterfront patch of green with incredible views is getting swallowed up by Brooklyn Bridge Park, and adding a fancy antique carousel in a barn designed by Jean Nouvel.

But what about the old stuff? What about the Tobacco Warehouse, the roofless 19th-century brick landmark that has probably hosted at least one of your friends' weddings? It might not remain exposed to the elements much longer, and that has some locals stressed out. Maybe they could use a smoke!

The rumor, according to the Brooklyn Heights Blog, is that the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation is preparing to court developers interested in renovating the warehouse and turning it into an arts venue. When you think Dumbo developers, you think Two Trees, and there's also a rumor that the neighborhood overlords will propose putting a glass roof on the structure and making it the new St. Ann's Warehouse, which is getting displaced by Two Trees's controversial Dock Street condo building. Concerned neighborhood groups have already released a list of demands, including that the warehouse remain roofless so it can be preserved as a "stabilized ruin." For now everything is just talk, but we'll see if the roof, the roof, the roof situation gets dire.
http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archives/21007

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 8:43 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article.../0/REAL_ESTATE

Manhattan architects have designs on Dumbo
Design firm working with Jean Nouvel on a waterfront pavilion plans to move across the bridge by next month.
It's all about the view, say partners. And a few other factors.

By Amanda Fung
October 11, 2010

Quote:
...In the “small world” department, Front is working with the renowned French architect Jean Nouvel on the design of the Brooklyn waterfront pavilion that will enclose Jane's Carousel, which David and Jane Walentas bought for $384,000 in 1984. They have since restored the 88-year-old merry go-round. The Walentas' Two Trees Management Co. is Front's new landlord.

The pavilion is expected to be completed by the summer of 2011, when Jane's Carousel will open to the public at its new home in Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 8:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 2:51 PM
New Yorker for life

ny1.com

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:48 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ They make it sound like it is busy with construction but I have been in area a lot ever since they opened the expansion to pier 1 and the bike lane connecting both pier 1 and pier 6 and I have never seen any sort of construction. I know they need funding for most of the rest of the park but for the rest of the park there has been no visible construction. I only say this because I look forward to the opening of this park and want it to be open soon.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't know what's funnier. The parks dept. making an even bigger mistake, or the people who are "shocked" that the thing gets hot. (I'm sorry, but that quote from the kid screaming is hilarious).
Sounds just about right. A bunch of idiots built a bunch of frying pans in some parks, another bunch of idiots allowed their kids to play on them during hot weather, and now the two groups of idiots are squabbling and wasting city money as kids get serious burns.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:14 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Just one more thing for the people to whine about, and one more decision by some city officials who didn't think things through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I have been in area a lot ever since they opened the expansion to pier 1 and the bike lane connecting both pier 1 and pier 6 and I have never seen any sort of construction. I know they need funding for most of the rest of the park but for the rest of the park there has been no visible construction.
Think you've already answered yourself on that one.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 4:05 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/1..._warehouse.php

Brooklyn Great Pyramid Proposed on Top of Tobacco Warehouse

Wednesday, November 17, 2010, by Joey Arak

Quote:
Think New York has had its fill of pyramid schemes lately? Think again! Prospect Heights-based theater/dance/acrobat troupe LAVA wants to be the group selected to take over Dumbo's Tobacco Warehouse, and the newly unveiled plan includes building a pyramid inside the roof-less waterfront 19th century landmark. But LAVA has a competitor, and that's St. Ann's Warehouse, the theater group/performance space about to lose its Dumbo home due to the construction of Two Trees's Dock Street condo building. St. Ann's own plan was just revealed as well, and the controversy surrounding the Tobacco Warehouse is so stressful, we could really go for a Camel Williamsburg.

The Tobacco Warehouse is being absorbed into Brooklyn Bridge Park, and the brick building's future has been one of the park's hot topics.

Currently used as occasional event space, the Tobacco Warehouse has been eyed for a conversion to a year-round arts venue, which has neighborhood activists mad for several reasons.

Some shudder at the additional crowds and the prospect of the crumbling old ruin getting a roof put over its head. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corporation's selection process has been rushed and non-transparent.

There was a public meeting on Monday where complaints about these issues nearly took center stage. We say "nearly" because the two major proposals, from LAVA and St. Ann's, were revealed, and holy smokes, look at these things! Both plans call for leaving parts of the building uncovered, but otherwise they're pretty different, not to mention that one has a friggin' pyramid. (The renderings in the above gallery were yanked from the community presentation PDF.) It's expected that St. Ann's will win conditional designation, maybe as soon as today, much to the chagrin of former Partridge Family star Susan Dey, who showed up to campaign on LAVA's behalf. David Cassidy could not be reached for comment.

The Tobacco Warehouse's renovation and conversion is expected to be finished by spring of 2013, but given the continued controversy—like why the Request for Proposals was "only" sent out to 1,400 organizations—not to mention Brooklyn Bride Park's loose interpretation of deadlines, that may need to be pushed back a bit.

Here's the St. Ann's plan.

Will preservationists have a problem with this view?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 5:20 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

^^^ What the heck?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 1:34 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ Too be honest, no matter how much I love this project, that looks incredibly stupid. Also, so the lack of construction is the lack of funding and thats it? NY1 was just trying to make it look busy? Gotcha

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
^^^ Too be honest, no matter how much I love this project, that looks incredibly stupid. Also, so the lack of construction is the lack of funding and thats it? NY1 was just trying to make it look busy? Gotcha
I believe you're smarter than that.

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...ot-my-backyard
Pyramids? Dumbo Says Not In My Backyard

By Laura Kusisto
November 17, 2010

Quote:
As architectural gems go, pyramids are great. So are historical open-air warehouses. What's less clear is whether the two really belong together.

The battle between Prospect Heights-based dance troop LAVA and performance group St. Ann's regarding who will take over Dumbo's hallowed, hollowed-out Tobacco Warehouse has grown heated, according to Curbed. Both

Inside the empty warehouse today.groups want to keep the space uncovered, but the similarities pretty much end there.

St. Ann's proposes spiffing up the 19th century warehouse into a performance space with all the exposed brick and tasteful modern seating your traditionalist heart could desire. LAVA's design is pretty vague, except that they want a golden pyramid in the courtyard. But then they've got the Partridge Family's Susan Dey on their side, so it's pretty much a draw.

The decision could be made as early as today, but with a story involving pharaohs, NIMBYs and David Cassidy, we can only hope this fight has a mummy's lifespan.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 7:35 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

If this proposal goes through (God I hope it doesn't) then complete it by building an obelisk and a sphynx.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development