Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Potty with a view!

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:26 AM

I just started working in the Comcast building. I'm a nobody, but I was looking down at the construction site from the cafeteria on the 44th floor trying to imagine what the CITC is going to look like from that height. It's really going to be wild. This is a huge deal for Philadelphia. I'm still wondering if the Wilshire Grand in Los Angeles is going to pull a Chrysler Building and push an even taller spire out the roof at the last minute just to beat us.

I'm still not sure what I think about the "vertical campus" concept and how it will work if Comcast really wants to get into IT. You're constantly moving in the IT world and going up and down 40-50 floors can take up a lot of your time. That's one reason IT company campuses sprawl. Maybe they can build a few bridges at the 20th floor between Comcast Center, the CITC, and the third tower (that we all know will happen)

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:19 PM

I'm a bit confused based on some of the most recent construction photos. When the design for this project was originally released, a big deal was made about the offset core. The core looks like it is running along the western spine of the building in the renderings.

Credit: Comcast Corp

But based on the construction pictures above, the core looks like it's much closer to the center of the lot. It's still slightly offset to the west, but not by as much as I would have imagined. So what gives? Was there a design change? Is there going to be a plaza on the western half of the lot? (I hope not, the last thing this neighborhood needs is another plaza.)

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:28 PM

Its in the right spot.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 1:51 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
@shakman...dude, there is a running bet between us posters on whether the FMC tower or CITC would climb higher by the end of the year.
Cool. What are the wagers?

-sb

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Cool. What are the wagers?
The wager is to who gets the title "Official Sage of the Forum". The bet was on what date will CITC surpass FMC?

Bulk of the conversation can be found here.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
The wager is to who gets the title "Official Sage of the Forum". The bet was on what date will CITC surpass FMC?

Bulk of the conversation can be found here.
FMC 100%. Would put $2,000 on the line. Would put a little more if more risk averse.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:34 PM

Looks like the parking lot incline is what they are doing on the east side of the lot which makes sense. Forms are moving up.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 8:50 PM

citc core is shifted to the Western side of the lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I'm a bit confused based on some of the most recent construction photos. When the design for this project was originally released, a big deal was made about the offset core. The core looks like it is running along the western spine of the building in the renderings.

Credit: Comcast Corp

But based on the construction pictures above, the core looks like it's much closer to the center of the lot. It's still slightly offset to the west, but not by as much as I would have imagined. So what gives? Was there a design change? Is there going to be a plaza on the western half of the lot? (I hope not, the last thing this neighborhood needs is another plaza.)
The architect(Sir Norman Foster) said he shifted the core to the Western side to allow for a large column free space on each Comcast floor that would allow for a space that would foster(no pun intended) free association and collaboration between the technologists, engineers and software developers. This is in contrast to an office floor that required 25,000/35,000 sq ft of column free space filled with offices and/or work stations like Comcast #1. The column free space in Comcast #1 is distributed around the centrally placed core.

Those exterior diagonal braces that span every 3 floors are not there for decoration(in spite of what Saffron says) but to stiffen the wall and resist horizontal torque(twisting force) that could/would occur if high enough winds buffeted the building. In Comcast #1 the four exterior walls are relatively close and equidistant from the centrally placed core and create a relatively stable situation. Those diagonal braces on the exterior wall can also create a decorative element but they are there first and foremost for structural reasons and because the core is not centrally located but skewed to the Western side. The degree to which it is skewed to the West is enough to require the diagonal brace to stiffen the wall.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 9:06 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
The architect(Sir Norman Foster) said he shifted the core to the Western side to allow for a large column free space on each Comcast floor that would allow for a space that would foster(no pun intended) free association and collaboration between the technologists, engineers and software developers. This is in contrast to an office floor that required 25,000/35,000 sq ft of column free space filled with offices and/or work stations like Comcast #1. The column free space in Comcast #1 is distributed around the centrally placed core.

Those exterior diagonal braces that span every 3 floors are not there for decoration(in spite of what Saffron says) but to stiffen the wall and resist horizontal torque(twisting force) that could/would occur if high enough winds buffeted the building. In Comcast #1 the four exterior walls are relatively close and equidistant from the centrally placed core and create a relatively stable situation. Those diagonal braces on the exterior wall can also create a decorative element but they are there first and foremost for structural reasons and because the core is not centrally located but skewed to the Western side. The degree to which it is skewed to the West is enough to require the diagonal brace to stiffen the wall.
Spoken like a structural engineer. I think most of us appreciate the outer aesthetics of the building but don't realize all the disciplines that goes into designing and constructing a highrise. Sometimes it's an architect's problem or a engineer's problem, but in the end there's always a solution and cost associated with it to make it work for both. I for one, in trying to keep up the the photos and discussion is always amazed on how highrises are constructed and built. CITC to say the least is a very complicated building based on its design and height and it appears there is probably new construction technology being used for the very 1st time in our City because of this building. Thoughts?

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 11:12 PM

So I have heard off the city data Philadelphia page that the CITC will now be 1,141-1,142 feet. Is there any truth to this? This source says he is working on the project.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemustardo View Post
So I have heard off the city data Philadelphia page that the CITC will now be 1,141-1,142 feet. Is there any truth to this? This source says he is working on the project.
Hmm...that would be great if true. Is that enough extra height so that the roof would be even with or taller than Comcast I?

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 12:47 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Hmm...that would be great if true. Is that enough extra height so that the roof would be even with or taller than Comcast I?
If the lower roof went up 20 feet it would be at 931' so no. The upper roof(cooling tower) is already 996' so it would push that past 1000'

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 1:28 AM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's concern that tower in LA will leapfrog them. Or maybe it's just hogwash.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:26 AM

According to Wikipedia, on a clear day you can see 80 miles from the top of the CITC (assuming top restaurant and lobby). Atlantic City is 63.3 miles driving distance (not a straight line) from the site so you could potentially see the ocean from the top. You would miss NYC by 27 miles. But i'm sure that based on the buildings going up in NYC, on a clear day you could see CITC

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:12 PM
Chairman

Quote:
What is ground elevation of this area?

-sb

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:39 PM

Messing with sketchup I changed the height up 30 feet on the spire, roof, ect. And it does make it more even from afar with the roofs. If they end up going 50 feet taller (Which the guy said 20-50ft) then it really looks almost even, but technically the roof won't be up at 975 feet.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Messing with sketchup I changed the height up 30 feet on the spire, roof, ect. And it does make it more even from afar with the roofs. If they end up going 50 feet taller (Which the guy said 20-50ft) then it really looks almost even, but technically the roof won't be up at 975 feet.
What guy? What are we talking about? Is there a document or something to corroborate any of this? To my knowledge, this project is/was locked in stone.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 5:39 PM

A guy from city data who works on the site. He said there working on design changes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture