HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Amager Strand - Copenhagen ( locally called "Mini-Manhattan" due to the numerous rapid rising residential towers that suddenly started popping up changing the former industrial area to a very popular residential area )
This is great, but I'm fed up with these wannabe Manhattan names. They sometimes do the same here, calling la Défense "le Manhattan français" (the French Manhattan), which sounds pretty pitiful to my ears.

Also, we don't get any significant residential tower here yet, cause it's too disturbing to the egalitarian dream of our left wing. The simple fact that the richer would live the upper floors scares them to death. They're sick with social jealousy.

Otherwise, you'd see plenty popping up over here.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 1:00 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Had a great day today traveling around the southern part of the island of Zealand - I managed to visit 1 ruin, 2 castles and 3 cities..

The weather was perfect, but it's no secret that most of the small southern cities are a bit sleepy and empty in the early hours of the day when everybody are off to work or school..

Anyways as mentioned all photos in today's post were taken today

Gavnø castle ( anno 1205 ) - Gavnø island

Vordingborg - Southern Zealand

Gåsetårnet ( anno 1160 ) - last standing part of the Vordinborg castle ruins - Southern Zealand

Næstved - Southern Zealand

Vejlø - Southern Zealand

Gisselfeld Castle ( anno 1381 ) - Southern Zealand ( it was btw here writer Hans Christian Andersen wrote "The Ugly Duckling" fairytale in 1843 )

Præstø - Southern Zealand

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 7:57 AM

Amager Strand - Copenhagen

Ribe - Southern Jutland

Råbjerg Mile - Northern Jutland

Tuborg Havn District - Copenhagen

Vordingborg - Southern Zealand

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 10:02 PM
Posh

Very nice!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 6:55 AM

^

Løkken - Northern Jutland

Inner City District - Copenhagen

Værløse - Northern Zealand

Næstved Boderne ( anno 1400 ) - Næstved - Southern Zealand

Kalvebod Brygge - Copenhagen

Ribe - Southern Jutland

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:52 AM

Hi guys - I spend the weekend visiting a couple places around Zealand and I of course brought my camera..

The first area I covered to a degree that I ended up making a seperate thread for it - if you haven't already you can see it here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=223488

Shortly put it's a thread about "Strandvejen" ( "The Beach Road" ) - a 40km coastal road between Copenhagen and Helsingør home to the rich and famous..

Here's a taste:

More pictures from Strandvejen here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=223488

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:03 AM

Other than Strandvejen I also visited:

Ledreborg Castle ( anno 1740 ) - Central Zealand

Ringsted - Central Zealand

Helsingør - Northern Zealand

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Shortly put it's a thread about "Strandvejen" ( "The Beach Road" ) - a 40km coastal road between Copenhagen and Helsingør home to the rich and famous..
Beauty.

I find it great and fascinating to say the least that the rich over there don't seem so scared, since you appear to have an easy access to this area. It reminds of something south of SF you might've visited in CA too. Some place they call Carmen, some luxury sea resort... Carmel, actually. Things like this have to hide more or less here, so to say. People live in some sort of fear, sadly. As if being wealthy was a crime. Truth is the Danes don't complain too much about paying high-rate taxes, which must help being easier to the well-off like these.

I hear you guys have your own kind of fear too, but this is still excellent, once more showing Denmark as a role model of some sort to watch carefully.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I find it great and fascinating to say the least that the rich over there don't seem so scared, since you appear to have an easy access to this area. It reminds of something south of SF you might've visited in CA too. Some place they call Carmen, some luxury sea resort... Carmel, actually. Things like this have to hide more or less here, so to say. People live in some sort of fear, sadly. As if being wealthy was a crime.
With the equality focus Danes are generally more or less on the same level.. if nothing else then on a mentality level as we don't have any poor ( except by choice such as refusing aid )

So those who do earn a lot are generally not too different from the rest and the general attitude towards the risk of burgleries ( that is quite high after the Baltics, Romania and Bulgaria enter the EU ) is that things are insured, so while it sucks if it happens it's just things that can be replaced..

In terms of personal safety the nation is quite safe - we typically par with japan - so while there have been cases of home invasion ( again thanks to new EU member state citizens ) they are very rare and taken very serious by the police.

As for Carmel I have been there a couples times - and will pass by again later this summer ( not sure if we will spend any time there, but we will be spending time in near by Monterey )
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Truth is the Danes don't complain too much about paying high-rate taxes, which must help being easier to the well-off like these
As long as the money goes to services we all enjoy then it's hard to find a reason to complain..

Wages are fair, taxation is fair and all in all it's all fair, se we are content

As for photos looking through the thread I can see that I have mainly been posting Old Towns, castles and Copenhagen's dense residential districts.. reality is that Denmark is very suburban - Copenhagen itself has a lower population density than Los Angeles. and it's not fair for me not to show that too when trying to cover the kingdom.

Like our North American friends most Danes live in detatched single family houses in endless suburbs - they drive to and from work, they shop at malls and they loved BBQing and drinking in the gardens..

So I will try to be better at covering more surburban areas ( even if I find them quite boring hence don't have as many photos ) to better present the land and life of us Danes..

Hirtshals - Northern Jutland

Ringsted - Zealand

Old Town - Copenhagen

Bulbjerg - western Jutland

Skagen - Northern Jutland

Nørrebro District - Copenhagen

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:05 AM
Master and Commander

A good thing I bookmark this thread for more juicy updates.
There needs to be some sort of list to show the pros and cons of Denmark life and laws. I'm sure the majority must be good enough to be considered adopting in other countries, mainly Canada and USA.

1 more week until I visit DK at last!!! I will be visiting Aalborg, that east coast area with that lighthouse buried in the sand, Frederikshavn/Skagen and then go to Sweden for a bit before looping back to Kobenhavn. Maybe a daytrip to Roskilde. I am going to be staying in Aalborg near the JFK square, and in CPH I am staying near the convention/Fields mall. Any thoughts to what I must not miss while at these places??

Other questions, are there any Korean's in Denmark? I would be interested in checking out some Korean eateries if any exists. DK seems homogeneous with mostly pure danes, the folks over there must be quite tall.
Next one, drinking and affordability of booze, I noticed a 7-11 there, is that a common sight? How about the dollar stores if DK has any like Tiger or Euro store.
Is it worth renting a bike at those stations or just buy daypasses for the metro.
Is the little mermaid really worth seeing? I plan on doing a boat tour so maybe see it from the water..
Best sights/cathedrals to get high observation view of the city for pano and skyline photos.
What else, walk in dine at Noma..?? Probably impossible now.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 8:25 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post
There needs to be some sort of list to show the pros and cons of Denmark life and laws. I'm sure the majority must be good enough to be considered adopting in other countries, mainly Canada and USA.

1 more week until I visit DK at last!!! I will be visiting Aalborg, that east coast area with that lighthouse buried in the sand, Frederikshavn/Skagen and then go to Sweden for a bit before looping back to Kobenhavn. Maybe a daytrip to Roskilde. I am going to be staying in Aalborg near the JFK square, and in CPH I am staying near the convention/Fields mall. Any thoughts to what I must not miss while at these places??

Other questions, are there any Korean's in Denmark? I would be interested in checking out some Korean eateries if any exists. DK seems homogeneous with mostly pure danes, the folks over there must be quite tall.
Next one, drinking and affordability of booze, I noticed a 7-11 there, is that a common sight? How about the dollar stores if DK has any like Tiger or Euro store.
Is it worth renting a bike at those stations or just buy daypasses for the metro.
Is the little mermaid really worth seeing? I plan on doing a boat tour so maybe see it from the water..
Best sights/cathedrals to get high observation view of the city for pano and skyline photos.

The best Korean food is at the Street Food hall on Papirøen near Chistianshavn. There is also a place in inner Vesterbro but it's mediocre.

Everyone is disappointed that the mermaid is so small, but... a giant one would be ridiculous kitsch! She's a small, sad thing in the story, and the statue reflects that.

For views, Rundetårn in the centre is great as well as Vor Frelsers Kirke in Christianshavn.

7-11s are everywhere and beer seems to be one thing that avoids the usual mess of surcharges.

Renting a bike would really add to your experience; you'd see more of the city, I think.

Edit: if you're staying by Field's, note that it's a new and isolated development. Your hotel room will probably be great, but use the metro to get into town. It runs 24 hours/day and stops right outside the mall. You can take bikes on the metro outside of rush hour.

Last edited by kool maudit; Jun 15, 2016 at 8:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 7:10 AM

Quote:
My biggest beef with living here is NIMBYism and our EU membership that is undermining our wage system and reducing our sovereignity..

Quote:
First of all I wish you are very good trip - and if you have any questions by all means ask!

If you have time and in Copenhagen I would recommend not just staying in the historic center, but perhaps try visiting some of the resiential districts such as Østerbro and Nørrebro..

When in Ålborg a visit to Jomfru Ane Gade is almost a must - it's the longest "party street" in the nation - bascially a street ful of bars and clubs..
Denmark doesn't really have the concept of last call, clubs and pubs typically stay open until the customer count is too low for it to make economical sense, so bring a watch, so you don't end up spending all night there

You speak of perhaps visiting Roskilde, if vikings have your interest they have a pretty good Viking museum there..
An alternative to Roskilde could be Helsingør - I personally like it's oldtown/city center more than Roskilde and you also get the Kronborg castle that is a quite large castle protecting the Øresund Straight ( where Shakespear set his Hamlet play )

Back to Copenhagen a walk along the "Søerne" ( Lakes ) can be a relaxing and perhaps interesting walk - the lakes used to be a part of the old defenses, but are today a recreational area.. in the early evening Dronning Louise's bridge is very popular with the young people to sit and chill and enjoy a cold beer or such..

You are already staying in Ørestaden - if you want to see other modern Danish architecture visiting Island's Brygge and Kalvebod Brygge is IMO very worth it ( and close to where you are staying ) - you really can't go wrong with walking the habour - alternatively you can take a habour cruise ( many company's offers tours - most depart from Nyhavn ) or alternatively take a trip in the habour-bus ( ferry ) that tours around the largest parts of the habour

Speaking of PT - all PT around the nation uses the same NFC card system called Rejsekortet - they are usually personal, but you can pick one up at machines at trainstation stations for tourists - alternatively they are various tourist options with free public transport for various number of days..

If using Regional or InterCity train booking a seat in advance is highly recommended!

Don't fear using buses - they are clean, equipped with monitors that shows next stop, route and zones and such, they have free wifi and cover virtually everywhere..
You just enter in the front, state the number of Zones you need a ticket for and pay with coins if you don't have other alternatives such as a tourist pass or Rejsekort ( they typically don't take notes ).
Downsides are that they can get quite packed doing rushhour..

Remember you can make unlimited transfers between all types of PT in the time period and zones the ticket covers.

As for safety Denmark is a very safe place - Danes get loud when drunk, but unprovoked violence is extremely rare - so time of day or location should not be an issue and certainly don't keep you from experiencing stuff you'd like to - plus this time of year the days are very long ( typically bright from 5 to 23 )
Most import tip I can give is to never jaywalk - neither cars nor bikes expect people jaywalking and they are very militant about their rights, so do obay traffic lights even if you aren't used to it ( it's btw a 1000 DKK fine to cross a red light on foot so.. ) - we have cases each year with tourists who get hurt ( or even killed )..
If you do find yourself driving here, remember bikes and pedestrians always have priority ( unless traffic lights says something different ) and bikes especially can come out of no where at high speed, so make sure to really check your mirrors when making turns!

Quote:
Danes are the second tallest people on Earth after the Dutch - on paper the average is 182 cm ( my height exactly ) but I usually feel short amongst young people.. though typically tall amongst the old

As for homogeneous Denmark is historically a melting pot of people..

Originally the Jutes, Anglo, Cimber, Geats and a few minor groups inhabitet the islands - then came the Danes from Sweden and since many people from Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Baltics, Russia, Sweden, Greenland and Norway have settled here..
In the 60 and 70s the need for workers became so high we once more opened up the borders and a lot of Turks and Pakistani moved here, we have also gotten a lot of other immigrants ( we where the most accepting nation when it came to asylum seekers for decades until Sweden ovetook us ) and today around 9% of the poplation are from Africa and Asia and it's rising rapidly with each year breaking the immigration record of the year before..
As a Copenhagen for example is ~25% immigrants ( something that really shows if you for example visit the ourter parts of Nørrebrod or the suburban districts of Ishøj or Albertslund )

So while the majority of people are etchnic Danes it's overall just a few % different than nations such as Sweden, France or the US..

As for Koreas a lot of Koreans were adopted after the Korean war - many also migrated here, so while other Asian styles dominate the restaurant market ( especially Middle Eastern, Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese ) there are Korean restaurants around..

Many Chinese restaurants typically offer a mix of styles with Sushi, Mongolian BBQ, Veitnamese and Korean etc - though these types of restaurants are typically more adapted to local taste than authenticity..

This article ( that Google should be able to translate ) tries out some authentic Korean places in Copenhagen that might be worth trying: http://politiken.dk/mad/madnyt/ECE48...s-som-i-korea/

Quote:
I know Kool Maudit have already asnwered, but yeah 7-11's are everywhere - they are overpriced compared to supermarket and independant Kiosks, but they are everywhere and open 24-7

The cheapest alcohol is found in supermarkets - there's a few 24-7 supermarkets in inner Copenhagen - the rest is typically open from 7-8 to 20-23

The Bilka hypermarket located in the Fields Mall in Ørestanden is a good place if looking for good alcohol deals while staying in Copenhagen - but you will find, beer, wine and most kinds of alcohol in all supermarkets no matter how small..

Quote:
Depends.. the city bike system in Copenhagen is very cheap and offers good electrical bikes with GPS/information screen - the downside is you need to register ( with the old system you just inserted a coin and were off ) and when biking you get to see more than from underground or a bus..
Most hotels will likely also offer bikes cheaply or free of charge..

On the other hand Copenhagen is very walkable and there is PT everywhere, so if you can get a good priced tourist PT pass then that might be enough..

Quote:
The Little Mermaid is a crappy little boring statue!
No Dane understands what tourists sees in the thing - it's a tourist trap if ever I saw one!
The area it is located in ( Langelinie Habour ) is nice though, but forget about the statue itself.. ( the habour tour is a good choice and as long as you don't take the tour just for the statue )

Quote:
Vor Frelsers Kirke definetly - the spiral outer walkway on the tower is both fun and offers great views..

Alternatively "Rundetårn" ( the Round Tower ) in the old town..

Or Rådhustårnet ( City Hall tower ) two tours daily on weekdays at 11 and 14 and at 12 on saturdays

There's also the restaurant on top of Radisson Blu Royal Hotel and the Skybar at Radisson Blu Scandianvia

Quote:
Sorry, you need to make a resevation months in advance

There are other Michelin star restaurants where you might have better luck:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copen...ed-restaurants

Hmm what else.. well Danes very rarely use cash since we have the Dankort system ( a debit card system ) so unless your various cards have high fees don't worry too much about cash - you can use Visa cards everywhere - Mastercard most places and other types in supermarkets and such

Alternatively there are ATMs around a plenty - though make sure they are DKK as many banks now offer ATM's with Euro's for Danes about to travel ( you can btw pay with Euro's and Swedish Crowns in Supermarkets, fastfood restaurants and 7-11's in Copenhagen just don't expect the best exchange rate when doing so

Oh and never pay any beggers - first of all begging is illegal here since with our social system no one needs it ( seriously! ) second because it's mainly a Roma scam where Bulgarian and Romanian Roma are driven up here and they take turns prentending to be ill and in need of money ( look up "Gypsy mansions" if you want to see how organized the scam is ) so never pay anyone anything! ( and never be shy about informing the police at number 114 if they bug you even the slightest - the police are happy for information about the Roma scammers ) - if it's an emergency ( police, fire or ambulance ) the number is 112
For the same Roma reason look after belongings when in crowded areas - this may sound cruel and racist, but if they look Roma be extremely sceptical - especially as a tourist! ( I personally don't have any negative experiences, but it's common on the news that tourists have been tricked or scammed, so better safe than sorry )

Healthcare is only free for residents and citizens so make sure you have a good health insurance just in case - police and fire services are always free of charge to all..

As for prices, remember tax ( called "Moms here ) is included in the listing price and you will NEVER have to tip as wages here are good for all sectors! ( so don't feel bad about not tipping - the only cases some Danes tip is if paying with cash in a taxi or restaurant ( all taxis and resturants all take cards btw ) one typically rounds up nearest note - but one is by no means obligated!

Also remember that as a tourist you can get the sales tax refunded on purchases above 300 DKK in stores that offers it ( typically tourist stores ) read more here:

http://premiertaxfree.com/tax-free-worldwide
http://www.globalblue.com/destinatio...rk/copenhagen/

Last edited by FREKI; Jun 16, 2016 at 7:31 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:03 PM
Master and Commander

omg, Mange Tak Freki!

I will have to print this so to keep some of these items in mind once I am there as I'm sure I will forget alot of things due to the spur of the moment situations.
I do plan to rely on grocery shopping to help keep my eating out costs down, Noma would be the exception as that is a once in a lifetime experience but my chances are pretty slim anyways to get in as I got put on a waiting list 3 months ago and no updates, so maybe some ppl might cancell on the day I plan to go.

More questions and responses to come later as I really read your comments.
Overall a great resource on this forum for not only pictures but also live info from those who live in these countries! Forget the travel books now on..

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 6:03 AM

Inner City District - Copenhagen

Hareskoven forest - Northern Zealand

Skodsborg - Northern Zealand

Næstved - Southern Zealand

Old Town - Copenhagen

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 8:13 AM

Holbæk - Zealand

Ørestad District - Copenhagen

Mandemarke - Møn

Old Town - Copenhagen

Østerbro District - Copenhagen

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 9:28 PM
Master and Commander

Beauty as always!
That is my hotel AC Bella SKy up there in the Orestad area! It looks pimp!
Do you have any pictures of Aalborg??
And how has the weather been this week? I land there tomorrow and I am bringing a ton of rain gear just incase as this place could be like Scotland or Ireland..

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 1:19 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Incredible. Copenhagen has a gorgeous historic core and also some of the best modern highrises I've ever seen. Complete with tons of biking. It certainly looks like one of the best functioning cities in the world.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 5:32 AM

^

Quote:
Beauty as always!
That is my hotel AC Bella SKy up there in the Orestad area! It looks pimp!
Good choice - the Skybar there should also be quite good!

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of Aalborg??
Sorry no, I haven't been there since my days in the military..

Quote:
And how has the weather been this week? I land there tomorrow and I am bringing a ton of rain gear just incase as this place could be like Scotland or Ireland..
There are currently several large pressure systems circling around us - they have been forcing cool moisture down over Germany where it has been heated and then forced up over us where it once again are cooled resulting in a lot of humidity and thunderstorms..

It's a quite unusual situation that seems to continue this week.. so you are right in expecting rain sadly - the small positive part about it is the crazy pressure systems also brings the sun with it, so expect you will likely get to see it all.. with shorts bursts of heavy rain ( typically in the evening and night ) with heavy clounds and sunny periods.. might even get some foggy mornings..

( the weather here is typically very mild and doesn't change much, so it can be sunny for days or rainy for days, with the current situation it fluctuates much more than usual, for better or worse )

Temps in the daytime should range between 18 and 25C with high humidity, so that could be worse

I wish you a great trip and as always be very free to asks questions here, I shall do my best to answer them

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 7:29 AM

Ørestad District - Copenhagen

Tversted - Northern Jutland ( free public shelters like this is a common sight in many woods as a alternative to tenting )

Downtown - Copenhagen

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 4:07 PM

@Bokimon - I hope you are having a nice vacation here

Rubjerg - Northern Jutland

Vordingborg Castle Ruins ( wall and moat ) - Southern Zealand

Skodsborg - Northern Zealand

Østerbro District - Copenhagen

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos