HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:13 PM

100 Van Ness Avenue

I like the aluminum or steel frames on the building. The photo does not show how nice the frame are because of the sun's angle. There will be a series that go to the top of the structure. It will be a very handsome building! So far I have found no fault to it at all. But I am still mystified as to why most of the new buildings have those narrow push out windows that open at the bottom. How is one to vent smoke & hot air when cooking? They both go to the ceiling & not to the floor. Another problem I see is broken windows. A window that flips out is subject to being broken by an object falling from above.

I was glad to see King talk about the new black in San Francisco in his column in the San Francisco Chronicle. I think he was being too kind when he reserved his comments till the building is clean. Yes, it does look better as the windows are cleaned, but no, I still don't like the black monolith.

1977 - thanks for the pic of the Franklin St. condo. I was surprised that the garage was the one that was torn down for this condo project. A nice area, though I would not want to live on a congested highway.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:48 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Never mind

Last edited by fflint; Feb 2, 2014 at 11:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:37 AM

I love the new skin and the way the horizontal bands break it up. It's nice to see these buildings get a refreshing facelift.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 6:05 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystonesfo View Post
I love the new skin and the way the horizontal bands break it up. It's nice to see these buildings get a refreshing facelift.
I agree with you and Jerry--I was over there again today and this building is looking hot! Photos don't do it justice yet.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:02 AM
Build Baby Build

I have a fast/slow vent over my oven so I don't have to worry about steam or smoke when cooking. The windows opening on the bottom is fairly easy to do and you get a decent amount of circulation from it. It isn't the best, but could be much worse.

1415 Mission - Getting its first pour today! Not sure why though, seems excavation isn't complete

1400 Mission - Excavation complete - concrete probably next week

Twitter people eating lunch

1321 Mission (at 9th) - Excavation underway

Last edited by fimiak; Jan 23, 2014 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 11:36 PM

Wow, fimiak, had no idea all three of those were under construction! You know this city is on fire when you can't even follow 12-15 story buildings anymore.

In other news, Socketsite just posted this a couple hours ago:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...r_in_play.html

So, what's still in play here? I'm counting:
- Honda Dealership looking to sell
- Goodwill looking to sell
- 1 Van Ness moving through planning

All three could be very large projects. For the veterans out there, realistically how far out do you think we are from seeing construction on these sites? 5 years? 10?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:17 AM
Green Berniecrat

Given that its been years since they first proposed it in 2007, I could imagine some leaning more towards 10 years, if ever. But given the revitalizing efforts in the area of late, it might be sooner rather than later. I know for a fact I'll be glad to see it go up, even if it sits in the back of the lot and not the front along Market like I'd prefer, that area needs its quite badly. Hopefully it comes up as nicely as NEMA did. I'm crossing my fingers that its 5 years or less.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:07 AM

My wishful thinking says that 1 Van Ness will start construction by the end of 2015.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 4:37 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Wow, fimiak, had no idea all three of those were under construction! You know this city is on fire when you can't even follow 12-15 story buildings anymore.

In other news, Socketsite just posted this a couple hours ago:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...r_in_play.html

So, what's still in play here? I'm counting:
- Honda Dealership looking to sell
- Goodwill looking to sell
- 1 Van Ness moving through planning

All three could be very large projects. For the veterans out there, realistically how far out do you think we are from seeing construction on these sites? 5 years? 10?
Don't forget that Walgreens is potentially up for sale by the city for a zoned 400ft tower. Also there will be a new shorter but still big project next to 100 Van Ness, 150 Van Ness another 429 units (link http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hp?p=108925319). Also the plumbers union (2 buildings +parking lot) that is up market beyond the honda dealership.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:41 AM
She needs her space

^^^Yes, lots of potential, but let's see what the land prices come out to first. I've definitely seen a dip in local rental rates, and I would know - I just moved!

I added photos to the following threads in case anyone is interested:

222 Second
299 Fremont
45 Lansing
340 Fremont
375 Fremont
350 Mission
535 Mission
Lumina/201 Folsom
TranBay Tower
TransBay Center

Now, more pictures.

SFMOMA - there are 2 luffing cranes now, you saw it here first!

All these buses on Fremont! tsk tsk won't be very enjoyable for current or new residents.

Twins, except one is taller

Signs of the times:

The number of cranes in this picture really only tells half the story of these blocks:

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:19 AM

1415 & 1400 Mission Sts.

fimiak - thanks for the info about windows/vents - I was wondering how it was at NEMA. Since there has been no strong storms this winter the building and neighborhood has not been tested yet to see what the new wind patterns will be like.

I had not noticed today that there was a pour at 1415 Mission. I head a lot of loud scraping & looked at the site earlier with my binoculars - a bucket crane was scraping dirt from the perimeter & brushing against the i-beams. I suspect that the pour is for the pad to support the construction crane.

Also noticed the grading at 1400 Mission a couple of days ago. Soon rebar will be put in.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:23 AM
She needs her space

^^^And that remains quite an exciting intersection! So is the rendering for 1400 Mission the one that's going to be built? It looked kind of conceptual, but I definitely prefer that design over the latest Architectonica crap at 1415 Mission.

Also, what's the retail going to be like in these developments? Another bla bank is opening up at the new retail bay in 50 Fremont (on the Mission side across from where the TB Tower will eventually rise/front).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:32 PM

I'm not sure at this point if the site just south of 333 Fremont is called 375 or 399, but I went by this morning and heavy excavation is in full swing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:36 PM

Simms, you are awesome, now more than ever we need a new SF rundown thread, and you would be the perfect one for the job!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Also, what's the retail going to be like in these developments? Another bla bank is opening up at the new retail bay in 50 Fremont (on the Mission side across from where the TB Tower will eventually rise/front).
This continues to worry me as a general phenomenon. Mission Bay, Rincon Hill, and Mid-Market will all need to attract choice tenants (wine bars, trendy coffee stores, dining comparable to Valencia, artisan shops) to really attract the young urbanities away from the traditional neighborhoods. King Street in SOMA really missed the mark, and even the few restaurants (Amici's, Umami Burger, Tsunami Sushi, etc) can be found in other neighborhoods.

Even look at what is leased at Twitter's Market Square. Bon Marche, which will be great for the neighborhood, but then it's just drug stores and First Republic Bank. At least they provided a few very small spaces that will be able to host small coffee stores, bakeries, and boutiques, and I'm sure those will get snapped up later on.

Mid-Market, at least, will be close to Hayes, Mission, and SoMa, so there are options even if the retail is rough. Rincon Hill and Mission Bay worry me the most, because they are not really close to established retail corridors, and from what people have said, the retail footprints are wide and large...not accessible for the type of retail people want.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:27 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
This continues to worry me as a general phenomenon. Mission Bay, Rincon Hill, and Mid-Market will all need to attract choice tenants (wine bars, trendy coffee stores, dining comparable to Valencia, artisan shops) to really attract the young urbanities away from the traditional neighborhoods. King Street in SOMA really missed the mark, and even the few restaurants (Amici's, Umami Burger, Tsunami Sushi, etc) can be found in other neighborhoods.

Even look at what is leased at Twitter's Market Square. Bon Marche, which will be great for the neighborhood, but then it's just drug stores and First Republic Bank. At least they provided a few very small spaces that will be able to host small coffee stores, bakeries, and boutiques, and I'm sure those will get snapped up later on.

Mid-Market, at least, will be close to Hayes, Mission, and SoMa, so there are options even if the retail is rough. Rincon Hill and Mission Bay worry me the most, because they are not really close to established retail corridors, and from what people have said, the retail footprints are wide and large...not accessible for the type of retail people want.
Market Sq is getting a Fitness SF, a 'food emporium' called the Market, and also a restaurant called the Cadillac Bar & Grill. Nema is getting a really modern indian restaurant by a top chef masters competitor. Alta is open across the street. I completely agree about Mission Bay and Rincon Hill, however, those neighborhoods may have high density but they allowed too many non-street level retail towers and buildings to be built.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Market Sq is getting a Fitness SF, a 'food emporium' called the Market, and also a restaurant called the Cadillac Bar & Grill. Nema is getting a really modern indian restaurant by a top chef masters competitor. Alta is open across the street. I completely agree about Mission Bay and Rincon Hill, however, those neighborhoods may have high density but they allowed too many non-street level retail towers and buildings to be built.
Excellent, I didn't know about the gym or Cadillac Bar & Grill. Modern Indian food sounds like a perfect fit for that area as well. Sounds like a phenomenal start to that area, and those restaurants, if successful, should make the retail for the rest of the buildings attractive to restauranteurs and bar owners.

Mission Bay and Rincon Hill, I think, are much more likely to disappoint than to be successful, especially after the talk about Folsom and 4th being new commercial corridors. What's in the Infinity retail space, a dentist? I actually think the Giants' Mission Rock development, if it ever gets built, may liven up Mission Bay as it seems to be very much geared toward an entertainment/bar/restaurant angle, but that still seems very far away and uncertain.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 1:14 AM

Changed Skyline - from 7th St. to 10th St.

I was at the Hall of Justice today for juror selections and got his image from the jury assembly room on the 3rd floor. The picture does not show how NEMA dominates the skyline as it does as seen in person. I was surprised.

NEMA_01-24-2014 by Apollo's Light, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 1:33 AM

JWS - interesting observation you make about services in the neighborhood. As they say, if you build it they will come. I think there are things that will happen in the next two years that will surprise all of us in the "Mid-Market" area.

The Fox Plaza used to be a little mini shopping mall when I moved in 42 years ago. We had an J Magnin (small dept. store) florist, bank, candy store, dry laundry, deli (dry goods), deli with fresh food, Raffles Restaurant (was never good unfortunately though it lasted many years), drug store, jewelry store, shoe store, gift shop and more - not all at the same time. Unfortunately it was ahead of it's time. I doubt it will every come back unless a new building is build on the corner (which is grandfathered in for a 12 story build). The big thing about the Civic Center is the opera, symphony, ballet, jazz hall, conference hall, ACT coming soon, the New Conservatory, the Orpheum and the San Francisco Conservatory of Music (which has many free concerts when the school is in session), all within 1-4 blocks of NEMA, Trinity Place, and more to come. I'm sure I've left out some venues! I think it will only get better.

And next to Alta CA (I was very disappointed on my fist visit there with the food) is Judy's Bar, a dive. I notice that the two story front of the space has been taken down & is being remodeled. Being that there are bar stools stacked on the bar I assume that it will still be Judy's. I would guess the hard core old drinking crowed will be displaced by a different demographic soon. The neighborhood is in for some exciting and startling changes!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 7:15 PM

Jerry - that boarded up bar has been called Hotspot as long as I've lived in the area (almost 3 years). Eater had some coverage last week, and it is just a remodel and will reopen as Hotspot in February supposedly. There's also some slightly more established retail in the area, like Mah-velous wine/coffee bar, and that brunch/burger spot next to it. It will be interesting to see how the available retail just west of Van Ness fills in, e.g., ground floor of 1600 Market, where Buck Tavern used to be, and where the furniture restoration/upholstery place was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations