HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 3:37 PM

The Port of Iqaluit should move forward as well as expanding Nanasivik Base to more than a refueling stop. Iqaluit might be better off with a deep water port built in Kammurit and a road across to Iqaluit. The ice has been a problem in Frobisher Bay the last few years.

Nice to see the Hangar finally getting built (even if First Air is hurting financially). Rankin is getting busier all the time. I just wished they would do something so that aircraft could get in when the weather is crappier. I've been weathered in there to many times.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Always a pleasure to read about happenings in the Territories.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:15 AM
ARTchitecture

This could be transformative news for Iqaluit, if it gets built. Would likely see the first railway in the territory built, if not the first all weather road over 100 km in length... would see lots of economic action in any case

Iqaluit port a “key component” for diamond mine project, Peregrine says
Iqaluit would be "important supply point" for Chidliak project
NUNATSIAQ NEWS

Quote:
The announcement that Ottawa is willing to kick in money to build a new port facility in Iqaluit comes as welcome news for Peregrine Diamonds Ltd., whose Chidliak project lies 120 kilometres northeast of Iqaluit.

Such a deep-sea port and small craft harbour in Iqaluit in Nunavut’s capital would be “a key component of the infrastructure required to construct and operate a diamond mine at Chidliak,” Peregrine said in a July 31 news release.

On July 30 Nunavut MP Leona Aglukkaq, said the federal government would commit $63.7 million for the $84.9-million project to build the maritime infrastructure for Iqaluit.

On its nearby Chidliak property, Peregrine has discovered 71 kimberlites, eight of which have the potential to become economically viable.

The company, which estimates there’s 8.57 million carats of diamonds in those kimberlites, now wants to increase that resource base for Chidliak project.

Source: http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/storie...ays_peregrine/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:55 PM

The port would of helped out with the last sea lift of the season. They were not able to offload the last of the building supplies as the ice came in. The small craft harbour will be welcome as well. You see boats strewn across the beach all summer.

Build a road to Kimurut as the water just off the island is open all year round.

A rail line was originally planned for the Mary River Mine but was dropped due to cost.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 6:41 PM

This project finally gets done. Inuit Broadcast Centre Iqaluit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...ntre-1.3348751

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 9:09 PM
ARTchitecture

Great new news about the Port of Iqaluit. Looks like this thing finally has legs again for the first time in a decade!

Iqaluit port could open by 2020, government officials say
Project set to include deep water port, improvements to city's breakwater, says Nunavut government
CBC News | Jan 25, 2016

Quote:
The former Conservative government promised $63.7 million for a port in Iqaluit in July, but when they lost the federal election, the fate of the project became unclear.

Now Jim Stevens, assistant deputy minister for Nunavut's department of Economic Development and Transportation, says federal funding for the project is in place and it's going to move forward.

"Since the federal announcement by the previous government we have had two or three exchanges vie email and correspondence confirming that the federal commitment of their funding portion is intact," said Stevens.

He says the project is set to include a deep water port, with one fixed birth and a secondary off-loading wharf.

Improvements to the city's breakwater, to allow dock space and 24 hour access to open water, are also planned.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...ward-1.3417733

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 9:33 PM

I am supposed to be back up in the summer and can get a better read on this. However this has been ongoing for years. Maybe, just Maybe JT will get it moving. I still think the deep water port should be out near Kimurut. The Strait is open almost year round. and they can build a road from there to Iqaluit.

The bay has had ice blow in the last few years which slowed shipping.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 9:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Is there a chance that the Arctic Navy Base could be combined with this project? I mean, why not have our arctic naval base right in the capital of one of our territories? It makes sense, plus it would drastically increase this ports year-round shipping capabilities since the new ice breakers would call it home. I dunno, I'm really just spitballing but it seems like that should have been the primary consideration when the whole process started.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:56 PM

It would make sense but the Bay is frozen quite a long time and is susceptible to ice blowing up the bay and clogging it. For some reason they want the deep navy facility in Nanisivik. There is a training facility in Resolute. But Resolute has had years the bay did not open.

With a military length runway in Iqaluit it would be easy to supply the ships. I still say Kimmurut would be a better deep water port.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Is there a chance that the Arctic Navy Base could be combined with this project? I mean, why not have our arctic naval base right in the capital of one of our territories? It makes sense, plus it would drastically increase this ports year-round shipping capabilities since the new ice breakers would call it home. I dunno, I'm really just spitballing but it seems like that should have been the primary consideration when the whole process started.
IIRC the NT government was in favour of this, or at least wanted the funds spent there, but the RCN wants Nanisivik as they consider Iqaluit to be too far from the mouth of the Northwest Passage. In any event Nanisivik was to be more of a refueling station than a base similar to Halifax or Esquimalt. Though the original concept would have had it manned year-round and included an RCAF station, I don't think any ships were to be permanently based there, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
IIRC the NT government was in favour of this, or at least wanted the funds spent there, but the RCN wants Nanisivik as they consider Iqaluit to be too far from the mouth of the Northwest Passage. In any event Nanisivik was to be more of a refueling station than a base similar to Halifax or Esquimalt. Though the original concept would have had it manned year-round and included an RCAF station, I don't think any ships were to be permanently based there, but I could be wrong.
None of the planned ships for the north has the ice breaking capacity needed for long term deployment there. this would be seasonal. Resolute has had C130s but the only airport capable to handle any other aircraft is Iqaluit.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 4:11 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:33 PM
ARTchitecture

Looks pretty darn good!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 4:01 PM

More on the deep water port. and a possible highway access.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...hvgb-1.3436190

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 8:04 PM
ARTchitecture

That's pretty amazing news! I wonder how often a ferry would be? Probably once a week or so?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 8:16 PM

its around 1200-1300 kms so you could maybe do 2 a week.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 11:22 PM
Closed account

That could be a tourism boon for the eastern Arctic as well.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
They would have to add some more roads. But I could see doing the cross Canada drive.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Would be cool if they could emulate the Hurtigruten type of ferry for tourists/freight that is quite popular on the Norwegian coast; it'd certainly be a pretty unique trip.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:14 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Quote:
3) MRI machine room

Included in the design of the new hospital is a room that can accommodate an MRI machine. That does not mean the new building will actually have an MRI machine when it opens. The territorial government did a cost-benefit analysis in 2012 and decided it was cheaper to send patients south for those tests than to buy and operate an MRI machine in the territory.

However, the government says it expects that sometime in the 30-year life of the new hospital it will get an MRI machine.
Seriously? An MRI machine costs $3-5 million at most. I think it is fair to say that the NWT can afford to get an MRI within the decade, or at least have a rich philanthropist donate a few million dollars to the hospital.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada