HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Hamilton Grand in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

64 Main St East | ? m | 18 fl | Proposed

Early in 2009, Harry Stinson will be unveiling “The Hamilton Grand” condominium hotel.

The façade of the Hamilton Grand will indeed be ‘grand’, the scale is compact, comprising 80 one-bedroom suites in a 6 storey structure.

The Hamilton Grand will include a lobby bar, dining room, café, room service, parking, in-room movies, telephone, internet, and other miscellaneous guest services.

The Hamilton Grand will offer full-size suites – with full kitchen, laundry and separate bedroom - in a heritage building with 11 foot ceilings and exposed brick walls, in an ideal location, with an ambiance reminiscent of the Drake Hotel, the Windsor Arms, and New York’s Royalton.

Last edited by SteelTown; Dec 10, 2008 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:14 PM

What building is this?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

The old KFC building on John St next to the Royal Connaught. Basically the two buildings sandwiched between the Connaught and London Tap House on John St between King and Main.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:38 PM

I just saw 11 foot ceilings and exposed brick walls in a heritage building. Those characteristics and the John St. location didn't compute.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 3:15 PM

The currently exposed facade for the building is over top of the original facade. Its heritage qualities are not obvious on first blush, it dwells underneath the current facade. Of course, I'm talking about the building beside the one that housed the former KFC. That building is crap.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 3:39 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Likely KFC is torn down but the Crazy Horse might have some arch value.

That's one of my favourite Hamilton grunge alleys, I hope that remains, as a service alley.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The old KFC building on John St next to the Royal Connaught. Basically the two buildings sandwiched between the Connaught and London Tap House on John St between King and Main.
Is this the building with the Crazy Horse? Isn't the old KFC outlet the old Liason College?

I can't picture the buildings they're talking about.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:17 AM
It's Hammer Time

It's at the former Liaison College.

http://www.hamiltongrand.ca/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:49 AM
Hammer'd

As far as I know, Stinson doesn't actually own the other building (Crazy Horse). This would be the one with the crappy facade over the old one. Here's a picture of it, the building is at the right, pictured in it's original facade. I would assume the top, curved part was taken off at some point before the crappy facade was added.

"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:02 PM

I thought is was only 4 floors? They might removed the top floor as well as the arc thing.

It looks like there are 3 oriental-styled spires coming from a romanesque-styled arc, but also i can't see anything behind it.... like it's only part of the facade. Weird

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:03 PM

I'm never failed to be amazed by the buildings we had from many years ago, and this one I never knew about. And it took an out of town developer to give it new life. I always just assumed The Crazy Horse building was just some 1950's box built on the site of something torn down, which seemed to be the norm around there. Does anyone know the condition of the inside, any original features?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:22 PM

I understand the restoration will expose original brick, iron pillars, and wood plank floors, and a café will be located where the laneway is now, retaining stone walls, wood beam ceiling and arches.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Stinson has stated that Larry DiIanni has joined his development team for this project.

I know most of you guys think that DiIanni has lost all credibility. What do you think of this move?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundasguy View Post
Stinson has stated that Larry DiIanni has joined his development team for this project.

I know most of you guys think that DiIanni has lost all credibility. What do you think of this move?
I'm all for anyone that can get a high quality project done downtown. We need higher income residential units downtown and if this actually goes forward then

Last edited by block43; Dec 11, 2008 at 7:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:33 PM

Quote:

It does seem odd, but I trust Stinson's judgement, he must have his reasons.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
Does anyone know the condition of the inside, any original features?
Pretty generic. Whatever heritage features remain are covered behind drywall and vinyl flooring. The only thing to hint you to the fact that it's a heritage building is winding iron staircase at the back corner of the building, which actually extends outside of the building, over the alley a bit. If you walk to the Catharine end of the alley and look up, you'll see it. The top of the stairwell ceiling is one of those glass pyramid things that you always see in old buildings.

My thoughts about DiIanni are completely of surprise, but I echo the sentiment that he must have brought something good and fair to the table for Stinson to bring him on board.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 2:16 AM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
I know most of you guys think that Di Ianni has lost all credibility. What do you think of this move?
Di Ianni is smart, savvy and well-connected. Politically, he knows how to apply pressure and who to apply it on to get things done.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 5:17 AM
It's Hammer Time

Harry let me have a peek of the building and well I think most will love it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Harry let me have a peek of the building and well I think most will love it.
How did you get a hold of him, just wondering? I'd like to get some information from him; I tried sending him an email through an address I found on his website but it was returned to me with an error.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 2:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

If you want to contact Harry Stinson regarding the Hamilton Grand his email address is....harrystinson@mountaincable.net or call him at 905-538-4808.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton