HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
As far as I'm concerned no one comes close to matching Jean Leloup.

Except for him... I'd say, for modern Québécois pop, Jonathan Painchaud isn't too bad. His lyrics are good (unlike the typically disgustingly poor rhymes of nearly all Québécois pop singers -- the French and Belgians really kick our asses in that dept) so that's enough to grant him a pass to the top category in my book. Though still not anywhere close to the Wolf.

(Back in his days in Okoumé their rhymes were noticeably above Québécois average as well, so that must've been him.)
I love him too.

It's almost 20 years old but this is one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm622tnjmjM

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:07 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Coeur de pirate is one of those artists who seems to get a lot of love from CBC Radio One.

Question re "contemporary" - Les cowboys fringants have been around for almost 20 years. Is their stuff "contemporary" of just modern pop?
Basically anything that isn't traditional folk songs is what I was after. So 80s to today for sure, probably 70s and 60s too.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Quel genre de musique recherches-tu ?

Personellement j'aime : Coeur de Pirate ( de Montreal ) & Karim Ouellet ( de Québec )

Very nice try in French but ...

Quand je cherche pour de la musique Canadienne Française sur Youtube ça me donne de la musique traditionelle. Quand j'essaie avec Wiki ça me donne des groupes qui chantent en Anglais mais qui viennent du Québec.

Est-ce que nos membres francophones ont des recommandations?

(Aussi, j'espère que mon français est bon)
I also this collaboration between Karim Ouellet and DJ band Misteur Valaire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u89P7ADff48

Cool and funky.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Basically anything that isn't traditional folk songs is what I was after. So 80s to today for sure, probably 70s and 60s too.
OK, that opens it up a lot...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Probably the most popular artist of the last decade in Quebec. I think my kids probably know every single she's ever recorded by heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciuzE9XehhM

Her music is like crack for tweens in Quebec. When she puts out an album and tours she easily outsells Justin Bieber, Katy Perry... the whole lot of them...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:21 AM

If you're going back to golden times, I'd list Harmonium, Beau Dommage and Les Séguin. And for a bridge to what came before, check out Jean-Pierre Ferland - to this day his album "Jaune" is one of the best ever to come out of Quebec, imho.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:25 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
If you're going back to golden times, I'd list Harmonium, Beau Dommage and Les Séguin. And for a bridge to what came before, check out Jean-Pierre Ferland - to this day his album "Jaune" is one of the best ever to come out of Quebec, imho.
This song standing above them all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zezSZ7Zpmhw

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Quand je cherche pour la musique Canadienne Français au Youtube ce me donne la musique traditionelle. Quand j'essais avec la Wiki ça me donne les groupe qui chant en Anglais mais vient du Québec.

Est-ce que nos membres francophones a des recommendations?

(Aussi j'espaire que toute ma français sois propres.)
Good initiative posting this in the Canada forum; It is a bilingual country after all and besides the Quebec section isn't frequently visited. Check out the 'décompte franco' section of CKOI for a pulse on what's popular now. Mind you, it's not the best selection (pretty horrible actually) but it gives you an idea. imo the best quality french-language single in Canada this summer is Arianne Moffatt's song Debout. Nice vibe and catchy as hell.

As someone else mentioned, Jean Leloup in his prime was an absolute beast of a songwriter. Very creative and unique. I think he could have made a career elsewhere had he sang in English. Other contemporary artists I personally find OK-to-good are Daniel Bélanger, Karkwa, malajube, loco locass, dumas, arianne moffatt, okoumé, serge fiori (came out of retirement with a new album so he's technically 'contemporary'). Not gonna lie though, the Quebec 'golden age' starts in the 60s and extends til the early 90s with Jean Leloup. So many gems in this period and all different sorts of style. Although Quebec's niche has always been alternative / prog rock.

My favorite prog rock album is a concept album from Harmonium released in 1975, called 'si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison'. Dixie is one of my fave compositions of all time, with absolutely masterful musical arrangements. Another great song by Harmonium, not found on this album, is 'un musicien parmi tant d'autres'. As for an obscure artist you'd never have found otherwise than through me, right now: Diane Tell. Tes Yeux is one of the best jazzy pop songs of the 80s !

As for your french, since you asked, it was pretty easy to understand but here's a corrected version to help you out and demonstrate you weren't too far off :

'De la bonne musique franco-canadienne contemporaine' Quand je cherche de la musique franco-canadienne sur Youtube ça me donne de la musique traditionnelle. Quand j’essaie wikipédia ça me donne des groupes qui chantent en Anglais, mais d'origine québécoise. (aussi, j'espère que mon français est correct)

The wording is extremely casual, but you could potentially still pass off as a native french speaker with this sort of sentence.

Last edited by leftimage; Aug 4, 2015 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

1970s arena-style rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqvtCf6DYzk

Same band doing an Edith Piaf classic as a rock ballad live at the old Forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJz_1HNqdEE

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I love him too.

It's almost 20 years old but this is one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm622tnjmjM
I was wondering which that'd be... (before clicking on it)

Mine would be, I'd say, L'amour est sans pitié, 1990, Le monde est à pleurer, Isabelle...

Je ne suis vraiment pas un gros fan de musique populaire moderne québécoise... je trouve généralement les paroles idiotes, les rythmes et mélodies médiocres, etc. Pour de la musique francophone, je vais préfèrer qqch comme Indochine, par exemple. Mais si c'est moi qui choisis ce qui joue en auto par exemple, pour du moderne, ça risque d'être américain. J'aime bien la musique classique aussi... ayant grandi là-dedans (mes parents nous ont envoyés à des écoles de musique, ma soeur et moi). Chopin et Bach si j'avais à choisir.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:35 AM

Quote:
That's not what I'd call modern but if the definition is that wide, then ok

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I was wondering which that'd be... (before clicking on it)

Mine would be, I'd say, L'amour est sans pitié, 1990, Le monde est à pleurer, Isabelle...

Je ne suis vraiment pas un gros fan de musique populaire moderne québécoise... je trouve généralement les paroles idiotes, les rythmes et mélodies médiocres, etc. Pour de la musique francophone, je vais préfèrer qqch comme Indochine, par exemple. Mais si c'est moi qui choisis ce qui joue en auto par exemple, pour du moderne, ça risque d'être américain. J'aime bien la musique classique aussi... ayant grandi là-dedans (mes parents nous ont envoyés à des écoles de musique, ma soeur et moi). Chopin et Bach si j'avais à choisir.
Pour moi ça dépend. Une partie de mon passage de l'Ontario français (sic) au Québec consistait à apprendre à ''laisser la chance'' aux produits culturels francophones, et de ne pas les considérer automatiquement mauvais ni de penser, d'autre part, que les produits anglo-américains sont tous automatiquement bons.

J'espère maintenant avoir atteint un point ou je juge les trucs en fonction de leur valeur et surtout s'ils me plaisent ou non, et non pas en fonction de leur origine (quoi qu'elle soit).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:47 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
1990 is interesting because it seems to be Canada's first decent submission for house music. Sorry folks, Kon Kan is naff.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
1990 is interesting because it seems to be Canada's first decent submission for house music. Sorry folks, Kon Kan is naff.
Maybe I am blasé about it cause I've heard it so many times. But it's true it's an awesome song. It has everything - even Mitsou on background vocals!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 4:03 AM

Quote:
That's not what I'd call modern but if the definition is that wide, then ok
Well, he said back as far as the '60s or '70s, so I wanted to oblige. Plus, I still find that era more interesting than much of what comes out of Quebec today, although perhaps just because it was current when such things were important to me.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pour moi ça dépend. Une partie de mon passage de l'Ontario français (sic) au Québec consistait à apprendre à ''laisser la chance'' aux produits culturels francophones, et de ne pas les considérer automatiquement mauvais ni de penser, d'autre part, que les produits anglo-américains sont tous automatiquement bons.

J'espère maintenant avoir atteint un point ou je juge les trucs en fonction de leur valeur et surtout s'ils me plaisent ou non, et non pas en fonction de leur origine (quoi qu'elle soit).
Je pense bien n'avoir aucun préjugé non plus... ça m'arrive d'ailleurs parfois d'être honnêtement impressionné par une nouvelle chanson d'un auteur québécois... (c'est arrivé entre autres la première fois que j'ai entendu qqch de Pierre Lapointe, il y a déjà plusieurs années, mais je ne me souviens plus de la chanson)

J'essaie, tout comme toi, de tout juger sans laisser l'origine m'influencer, vraiment juste sur la qualité (à mes propres oreilles seulement, évidemment) du produit.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 4:16 AM

edit

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Aug 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:14 AM

Quote:
As for genres: punk (not the screamy stuff though, although that might not sound as bad in French), techno, techno-pop (well some of it), and generally up-beat stuff.

Basically anything that isn't metal, rap, or twang-y country.
Some good recommendations so far, I would add Vulgaires Machins, Karkwa, Malajube, Dumas and 3 Gars Su'l Sofa. There isn't a whole lot of french-speaking electronic music I know, the closest I can think of is Misteur Valaire, apart from some samples, it's all instrumental.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 1:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Les Colocs (The Roommates). Arguably the greatest Québécois band of the 90s. I believe they were formed by a hodgepodge group of people who roomed together when they were on welfare in Montreal. They also busked on the streets I believe. Members included Quebecers from the regions, a guy from France, and a Ukrainian-Cree guy from Saskatchewan. They had a tragic outcome as one member died of AIDS and the lead singer committed suicide.

As I have a weak spot for the irreverent I loved these guys.

The last song I linked to even has a link to SSP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhaUzghVn8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjoF3GIPRc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVDT02kwD-g

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:21 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noname219 View Post
Some good recommendations so far, I would add Vulgaires Machins, Karkwa, Malajube, Dumas and 3 Gars Su'l Sofa. There isn't a whole lot of french-speaking electronic music I know, the closest I can think of is Misteur Valaire, apart from some samples, it's all instrumental.
If we are going with older stuff, Trans-X's first releases were in French as a demand by the record label. There is a bit of Canadian disco / pop that was recorded in French (Nanette Workman, Pierre Perpall.) Later in the 80s and early 90s, there is the latin freestyle with bands like Collage recording in French. Of course, there is the whole hiphop scene that arose quite early in Quebec (I'm finding recordings from the early 80s, kicking pants from France.) House music is a bit sparse. You have Jean Leloup's 1990 (house / early bigbeat) and some house grooves that use sparse French. Trance doesn't appear to be on the radar. Likewise dubstep and trap. I'm sensing there is some big room out there but I can't put my finger on any.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada