HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 9:13 PM

New transit queue jump is being installed at Mumford Road and Romans Avenue (adjacent to the terminal).

https://www.halifax.ca/home/news/ins...-road-bus-lane

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:46 AM

The new extended bus lanes on Windmill Road have cut my bus ride down by at least 5 or 6 minutes during the afternoon rush hour commute. 5 or 6 minutes doesn't seem like much, but eventually all of these bus lanes will add up.

I have no idea what has to happen on Barrington St southbound in the morning to make it faster. But if they could somehow make a bus lane out of that mess, that would help immensely. I'm sure the road is too narrow in places to accommodate another lane.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor View Post
The new extended bus lanes on Windmill Road have cut my bus ride down by at least 5 or 6 minutes during the afternoon rush hour commute. 5 or 6 minutes doesn't seem like much, but eventually all of these bus lanes will add up.

I have no idea what has to happen on Barrington St southbound in the morning to make it faster. But if they could somehow make a bus lane out of that mess, that would help immensely. I'm sure the road is too narrow in places to accommodate another lane.
You'll be happy to know there is a pilot project plan to implement southbound transit lanes on Barrington Street between Glebe Street (the very first street on the right inbound) and North Street. There is also a plan to install a queue jump northbound at North Street and remove the stop at the foot of the MacDonald Bridge on-ramp which will allow buses to avoid the long queue by using the left lane.

Also I forgot to mention previously that the new transit lane on Mumford Road extends from Romans Avenue to Leppert Street which is approximately 500 metres. Just a guess but I think we will see the queue jump installed on Chebucto EB at Connaught in the near future which will allow the right lane in the wide section to become transit only.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
You'll be happy to know there is a pilot project plan to implement southbound transit lanes on Barrington Street between Glebe Street (the very first street on the right inbound) and North Street. There is also a plan to install a queue jump northbound at North Street and remove the stop at the foot of the MacDonald Bridge on-ramp which will allow buses to avoid the long queue by using the left lane.

Also I forgot to mention previously that the new transit lane on Mumford Road extends from Romans Avenue to Leppert Street which is approximately 500 metres. Just a guess but I think we will see the queue jump installed on Chebucto EB at Connaught in the near future which will allow the right lane in the wide section to become transit only.
I like it. I knew about the TPM at North/Barrington but didn't know about the pilot on Barrington south bound. The lanes at that point are absolutely wide enough for a separate bus lane.

They are removing the right-most northbound lane of Barrington between North and Niobe Gate to put in a multi-use multi-way bike path separated by a boulevard. The lanes will be widened as well, which I'm sure will be better for trucks. Might be a few commuters irked at the idea that that stretch will go from four regular lanes, to two if the south bound bus lane kicks in. Good for cyclists though, as there will be a continuous bike path from the top of Devonshire all the way downtown.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:04 PM

Sounds like HRM's war on the private vehicle is continuing apace.

While bicycles will never be a viable alternative for commuters to downtown I wonder if the powers that be truly believe that the professionals who work DT will be willing to use the bus system. I suspect they will simply refuse and start demanding better, be it light rail or something other than a diesel bus filled with students.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 11:26 PM

^The war is just beginning. IMP requires Halifax to look at all road projects from a complete streets perspective which means transit, cars, bikes, and peds get the same level of consideration. Barrington Street, Ahern Avenue, and Mumford Road are the newest streets to get this treatment.

Signage isn't up so some vehicles haven't gotten the message but here is the Mumford Road Transit Lane.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 11:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Signage isn't up so some vehicles haven't gotten the message but here is the Mumford Road Transit Lane.
I think some routes in Halifax are so clogged with buses that there probably isn't much cost in terms of throughput of cars to giving buses their own lane.

There are severe diminishing returns to having multiple lanes of mixed traffic. Adding a second lane does not double the capacity, and a third lane does not triple the capacity. It is more like 100% -> 150% -> 175%. There is also a cost to mixing traffic; the buses have to weave in and out of traffic to get to stops.

LRT would be similar. It is so common to hear that there's "no room" for street-level LRT because every vehicle lane is clogged. This view fails to account for the fact that LRT is much higher density. You might give up 2 lanes for LRT and get the equivalent of 8 or 10 extra lanes of capacity.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor View Post
I like it. I knew about the TPM at North/Barrington but didn't know about the pilot on Barrington south bound. The lanes at that point are absolutely wide enough for a separate bus lane.

They are removing the right-most northbound lane of Barrington between North and Niobe Gate to put in a multi-use multi-way bike path separated by a boulevard. The lanes will be widened as well, which I'm sure will be better for trucks. Might be a few commuters irked at the idea that that stretch will go from four regular lanes, to two if the south bound bus lane kicks in. Good for cyclists though, as there will be a continuous bike path from the top of Devonshire all the way downtown.
Sounds like a better configuration all around as the 2 lanes were really too narrow for large trucks and just barely adequate for passenger cars - plus there was no room to pass a bicycle and maintain the 1-metre rule without going into the other lane.

No net loss to car traffic either as the two lanes just bottleneck into one a little further up. This will actually make it better for cars as well as bikes.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:43 AM

If this Barrington St southbound bus lane becomes a reality, there really shouldn't be any real bottlenecks for the morning commute from Sackville to downtown. The Barrington / Cornwallis intersection is being replaced with a roundabout, and the cogswell "off ramp" to Barrington is going away.

In a couple years, there will be a few new express busses in the peak morning hours from Sackville to downtown: 182 First Lake, 183 Springfield (Up through Middle Sackvillle / Springfield lake), 185 Millwood (up through Millwood / Jackladder area), and the 189 Beaverbank. That combined with the 84 running all day should really make bussing it the quickest route from Sackville to downtown in the work day.

I still wouldn't take the bus on weekends or for special events (Mooseheads, Lacross etc) unless they really upped the frequency from downtown to Sackville during those events.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 11:02 PM

Gottingen Street (at Uniacke Street):

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 7:25 PM

Interesting. I wonder if there will be any conflicts between buses and bicycles where they will be sharing the same lane. It might be difficult for buses to maintain the 1m clearance during heavy traffic times.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 1:24 AM

Not many cyclists in any bike lane AFAIK.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 11:53 AM

I must be extremely lucky on the bus routes that I've taken in my lifetime, because it seems like they're always improving (Actually improving).

I get the bus at 6:40am at Cobequid Terminal. I drive to the terminal and park & ride. There are 3 #84s that show up between 6:40 and 6:45: two on their regular route, and one directly from the terminal that is empty.. bypassing Downsview / Glendale and just starting its route from Cobequid. This happens with the #84 a couple times in the morning rush hour.

There is an increasing # of people showing up at Cobequid for this barrage of buses, and even the empty #84 has been filling up. I've always been able to get a seat, but it's been a bit more crammed lately. I think people are realizing the benefit of getting to Cobequid at 6:40.

It might have been a coincidence, but today, an articulated bus came empty directly from Burnside. Everyone at the bus terminal was able to get on this bus, with a few seats still available (Usually we all spread out between the three buses). A few people chose to stand, but they didn't have to.

I hope Halifax transit continues to provide the articulated bus at 6:40. It seems like this route is rapidly becoming more and more popular, and it is a pain to have to stand on a bus from Sackville to downtown. (I get off the bus at the Dockyard, so the link is a worse option than the #84).

It's this type of forward thinking that will help Halifax Transit improve: Dynamically supplementing more popular routes on the fly and investing in the most popular routes in the long term. I live off the Old Sackville road, so no bus routes near me. I understand not everyone has a car, which is why they take the bus. But I would completely understand and approve them not having a bus that goes down Old Sackville road, and instead using those resources to improve the morning commute downtown. As with most people, my opinion can be biased based on my specific situation. But there is only a finite amount of money Halifax Transit can spend, so they might as well spend it where the most amount of people will benefit, and the rush-hour commutes fits that description.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 6:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

HRM regional council will hold an in camera meeting on Tuesday to discuss commuter rail updates: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...r-rail-264455/

There's no specific public news but the city will be able to use federal infrastructure funding for this project. Councillor Tim Outhit also mentions that new track might be needed in order to support both passenger and freight traffic, but that this would still be cheaper than expanding roads.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 9:15 PM

MUMFORD TERMINAL REPLACEMENT STUDY

Transportation Standing Committee Report

Halifax Transit's study into the replacement terminal for Mumford has been released. The preferred location is Site 9 (Expansion on Existing Site). The conceptual drawings show the terminal extending from Mumford & Romans into the existing parking lot in a north-south orientation (opposed to along the street as it is right now). It would have 11 bus bays plus the existing stop on Mumford Road, two heated shelters, a terminal building, and other features (see report above for full list).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:51 PM

I just saw a Quebec City (RTC) bus pass by on a flat deck trailer. Is Metro Transit buying used buses from Quebec?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:13 PM

I would assume its going overseas on a ship? Metro Transit typically buys new.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I just saw a Quebec City (RTC) bus pass by on a flat deck trailer. Is Metro Transit buying used buses from Quebec?
May have been imported through the port, on its way to QC now...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:34 AM

HALIFAX TRANSIT MEGAPOST FOR 2019/2020

It is budget time for Halifax Regional Municipality which means Halifax Transit's Annual Service Plan (2019-2020) has been released.

1) The last schedule adjustments of this fiscal year are set to come into effect on February 18th. Route 39 (Bridge-Lacewood) will have a new last run leaving Bridge Terminal at 10:57pm. Route 123 (Timberlea Express) will include stops along St. Margaret's Bay Road and it will travel along Chebucto Road. Route 194 (West Bedford Express) will now use the southern entrance to Broad Street and will travel along Dunbrack Street. The Alderney Ferry now has Easter Sunday service. Finally in a sign that the new Gottingen Street transit lane is working Route 330 (MetroX Tantallon) will be using Gottingen Street outbound starting at Cogswell.

2) The proposed Annual Service Plan includes a $0.25 fare hike. According to the information provided Halifax Transit has the lowest adult fare for mid-size Canadian cities, second lowest Revenue/Cost ratio and our monthly passes are $22 cheaper than average.

3) Transit is planning to spend $940'000 on transit priority measures this year. The only projects specifically mentioned are Main Street Phase 2 and a project on Portland Street.

4) This is year #3 of Moving Forward Together Plan which means major changes to transit in Bedford, Sackville, Burnside, Purcell's Cove and Fairmount.

Like previous years the changes are broken down into Groupings. These should occur in the order listed below. Changes are planned to occur in May and November.

Grouping A:

- Route 90 (Larry Uteck): This existing route will extend service to West Bedford via Larry Uteck Boulevard, Broad Street, Gary Martin Drive to Innovation Drive.

Grouping B:

- Routes 64 Akerley, 66 Penhorn, 80 Sackville, 82 First Lake, 83 Springfield, 84 Glendale Express, 85 Downsview Express, 86 Basinview Express, 87 Glendale and 88 Bedford Commons, 187 Sackville Link, 400 Beaverbank will be discontinued/altered.

- Corridor Route 8 Sackville: This new route will provide corridor level service between communities in Sackville and Downtown Halifax, following the same routing as the existing Route 80 Sackville.
- Route 64 Burnside: This altered route will provide service between Marketplace Drive/Wrights Cove and Highfield Terminal. It will provide service to City of Lakes and areas off of Akerley Blvd.
- Route 66 Penhorn: This existing route will have a routing adjustment to terminate at Highfield Terminal, no longer providing service to Cobequid Terminal or within Burnside Industrial Park. It will maintain existing levels of service.
- Route 82 First Lake: This altered route will provide service between Sackville Terminal and Cobequid Terminal, via First Lake Drive. No service into Millwood.
- Route 83 Springfield: This altered route will provide service between Springfield Estates and Sackville Terminal. It will expand service into new areas of Middle Sackville including Snset Ridge.
- Route 84 Glendale: The altered Route 84 Glendale will provide service between Sackville Terminal and Downtown Halifax via Windmill-MacKay-Barrington. This route will provide service throughout the service day and on weekends, and will service all bus stops along the route. This route will not provide service between Scotia Square and Summer Street.
Route 85 Millwood: This new route will provide service between Millwood subdivision and Sackville Terminal.
- Route 86 Beaver Bank: This new route will provide service between on Beaver Bank Road between Kinsac Road and Sackville Terminal.
- Route 87 Sackville - Dartmouth: This altered route will provide service between Sackville Terminal and Dartmouth Bridge Terminal via Dartmouth Road and Sackville Drive.
- Route 88 Bedford Commons: This altered route will provide service between Sackville Terminal and Bedford Commons via Old Sackville Road and Cobequid Terminal.
- Route 182 First Lake Express: This new route will follow the same routing, in the local area, as the new Route 82 First Lake, at Cobequid Terminal it will continue to Downtown Halifax.
- Route 183 Springfield Express: This new route will follow the same routing, in the local area, as the new Route 83. At Sackville Terminal it will continue to Downtown Halifax.
- Route 185 Millwood Express: This new route will follow the same routing, in the local area, as the new Route 85. At Sackville Terminal it will continue to Downtown Halifax.
- Route 186 Beaver Bank Express: This new route will follow the same routing, in the local area, as the new Route 86 Beaver Bank. At Sackville Terminal it will continue to Downtown Halifax.
- Route 196 Basinview Express: The existing Route 86 will be renumbered to Route 196 Basinview Express. This will keep the existing routing and level of service.

Grouping C:

- Routes 81 Hemlock Ravine and 89 Bedford will be discontinued.

- Route 91 Hemlock Ravine: This new route will provide service between West Bedford and Mumford Terminal, via Bedford South and Bedford Highway. It will expand service to new areas including Starboard Drive, Nine Mile Drive, Oceanview Drive, and Moirs Mill Road.
- Route 93 Bedford Highway: This new route provide service between Bedford and downtown Halifax via Bedford Highway - Lady Hammond - Devonshire.

Grouping D:

- Routes 5 Chebucto, 15 Purcells Cove, and 32 Cowie Hill Express will be discontinued.

- Route 25 Governors Brook: This new route will provide service between Governors Brook and Mumford Terminal via Williams Lake Road and Purcells Cove Road.
- Route 26 Springvale: This new route will provide service between Springvale and Mumford Terminal via Route 5's current route but will not continue onto downtown.
- Route 127 Cowie Hill Express: This new route will provide peak hour express service from Cowie Hill and surrounding areas to Downtown Halifax in the AM peak and in the opposite direction at PM peak. It will have the same level of service and follow similar routing as current Route 32 Cowie Hill Express but will travel on Chebucto instead of Quinpool.
- Route 415 Purcells Cove: This new rural route will provide service between York Redoubt and Mumford Terminal via Purcells Cove Road during the weekday peak period.

Route maps can be found at the end of the report linked above.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I would assume its going overseas on a ship? Metro Transit typically buys new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
May have been imported through the port, on its way to QC now...
Both reasonable possibilities. I was thinking it was related to Halifax Transit because I saw it in Burnside.

Thanks for the responses!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure