HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I did not claim that health care in NS is sweetness and light. There are very real problems that stem from a variety of sources (the disconnect between EHS and the rest of the system being a major one, the unresponsive bureaucracy of NSHA being another). The hysteria is related to your commentary on media coverage. They know health care horror stories are easy to find and get a huge reaction. They fuel the hysteria that leads to a large segment of the public believing that govt should spend nothing on anything - ferries, sports,economic development, whatever - and devote every last dime to health care. Throwing more money at a broken system will not solve our problems without a systemic overhaul plan.
There is never a quantifiable number, but one could argue funding towards this to get more kids active in sport and healthier can actually save tax dollars on health care in the future......but who wants to stick their neck out politically on that

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 7:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
The Rick Howe Show - 12pm Monday, April 1, 2019

A plan to establish a CFL franchise in Atlantic Canada took a big step forward Saturday when Schooners Sports and Entertainment announced it had struck a tentative deal with a key property owner in the Halifax area. We talk about it with Atlantic Schooners founding partner Anthony Leblanc.
It sounds like a good proposal to the extent that we've gotten details about it. The concept of funding a community stadium and getting "bonus" seating and a CFL team should appeal to the city and the province. Even without the CFL there's a pretty strong case to be made that the city has lost out on events and tourism due to the lack of a stadium.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:19 PM

We don't need a stadium to get children active in sports. We just need open air space and free pool time. Kids don't need expensive equipment to participate. And why isn't gym compulsory at high school ?
Run the little buggers until they drop.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
And why isn't gym compulsory at high school ?
Most high schoolers would rather be smoking weed and playing Fortnite. A fine society we are creating.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Up hill both ways!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Most high schoolers would rather be smoking weed and playing Fortnite. A fine society we are creating.
Future LPC voters

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 2:39 AM

Last year of grammar school we had gym every Friday and an outisde run of more than 2 miles and the last part was a steep 300 yard uphill run to the street. I was always 2nd because the same kid beat me in the last 100 yards. Short distance I was rubbish.
Citadel High should have the kids run down to the waterfront and then back up Sackville Street. Probably need an ambulance or two by the time they got up to Barrington.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:53 PM

They could schedule the runs to coincide well with the requisite daily beatings to maintain discipline...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
They could schedule the runs to coincide well with the requisite daily beatings to maintain discipline...
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!
You can't have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat!

Meanwhile, back at the stadium thread...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:56 PM

nm

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:49 PM

The highest resolution image of the stadium yet:

https://twitter.com/architecture49/s...33853800648704

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 9:30 PM

Not another one of these... Halifax should follow in the footsteps of Regina or Winnipeg, not Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Not another one of these... Halifax should follow in the footsteps of Regina or Winnipeg, not Hamilton.
Who is going to pay for it?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:11 PM

Hotel Tax Levy

I've been putting a lot of thought into this idea of a Hotel Tax Levy and I think the owners of Schooners Sports and Entertainment are on to something here:

Not sure if everyone has seen the year end results from Nova Scotia Tourism but according to their Performance Summary, there were 1.42 million "Non-Residential" Room Nights sold in Halifax, and 2.28 million "Non-Residential" Rooms sold in the province. Stats did not include stays in December 2018.

The key metric here is "Non-Residential" stays and this could be a substantial revenue driver to help fund the stadium without having Nova Scotia tax payers involved at all.

Simple math suggests a $5 tax levy could generate $11,400,000 dollars annually, which would be more than enough to cover the ask from the group - who I believe are looking somewhere in the 7-8 Million dollar range.

Maybe I'm a little optimistic but I think this is something the group should keep pushing for to address concerns that taxpayers dollars will be used to contribute towards the build.

https://tourismns.ca/research/visito...sm-performance

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigio View Post
I've been putting a lot of thought into this idea of a Hotel Tax Levy and I think the owners of Schooners Sports and Entertainment are on to something here:

Not sure if everyone has seen the year end results from Nova Scotia Tourism but according to their Performance Summary, there were 1.42 million "Non-Residential" Room Nights sold in Halifax, and 2.28 million "Non-Residential" Rooms sold in the province. Stats did not include stays in December 2018.

The key metric here is "Non-Residential" stays and this could be a substantial revenue driver to help fund the stadium without having Nova Scotia tax payers involved at all.

Simple math suggests a $5 tax levy could generate $11,400,000 dollars annually, which would be more than enough to cover the ask from the group - who I believe are looking somewhere in the 7-8 Million dollar range.

Maybe I'm a little optimistic but I think this is something the group should keep pushing for to address concerns that taxpayers dollars will be used to contribute towards the build.

https://tourismns.ca/research/visito...sm-performance
There is already a hotel tax on room nights in HRM which would represent the majority of the room-nights sold in the province.

I don't think someone staying the night in Sydney, Amherst or Yarmouth would care to be subsidizing a stadium in HRM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 7:41 PM
arf

^It depends on why they are on the area, but I agree. Levy the fee on users of the stadium, not users of other things within HRM.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
There is already a hotel tax on room nights in HRM which would represent the majority of the room-nights sold in the province.

I don't think someone staying the night in Sydney, Amherst or Yarmouth would care to be subsidizing a stadium in HRM.
Yeah, but I don't think someone staying the night in Halifax would care to be subsidizing a stadium in HRM. Somebody might need to bite the bullet and fund this thing, and out-of-province tourists are a good target.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:55 PM

Last edited by q12; Apr 5, 2019 at 2:56 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Yeah, but I don't think someone staying the night in Halifax would care to be subsidizing a stadium in HRM. Somebody might need to bite the bullet and fund this thing, and out-of-province tourists are a good target.
My thought exactly. The general consensus is that no provincial taxpayer dollars should go toward the build of a stadium. The only other source of tax revenue would come from tourism.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment