HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:16 PM

People have been saying Portland is going to be a vibrant location for years and years but in typical Phoenix fashion it takes for ever. Glad to see it finally coming to fruition.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:39 PM

This will be a welcome development to Roosevelt Row, as someone mentioned, I like the emphasis on bringing artists. A little late though, I think many people/artists are still zinged by being kicked out and the loss of virtually every business on both 5th and 6th streets. This time last year both streets had an obvious vibrancy. I'd rather the diversity of retail (bookstore, artist supply shop, dance studio, etc.) remain as it had before than those empty homes be filled with $$$ bistros and cocktails lounges for people in Broadstone whose pockets are lined.

Rant over.

Also, is anyone else confused that one article states 8-stories planned for the west side and the other states 19. One of these is #fakenews.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:07 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
This will be a welcome development to Roosevelt Row, as someone mentioned, I like the emphasis on bringing artists. A little late though, I think many people/artists are still zinged by being kicked out and the loss of virtually every business on both 5th and 6th streets. This time last year both streets had an obvious vibrancy. I'd rather the diversity of retail (bookstore, artist supply shop, dance studio, etc.) remain as it had before than those empty homes be filled with $$$ bistros and cocktails lounges for people in Broadstone whose pockets are lined.

Rant over.

Also, is anyone else confused that one article states 8-stories planned for the west side and the other states 19. One of these is #fakenews.
This development is the most unlikely I've seen in years--it's almost like 2007 all over again. People just don't build highrises for their first project. We saw plenty of that a decade ago.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
This development is the most unlikely I've seen in years--it's almost like 2007 all over again. People just don't build highrises for their first project. We saw plenty of that a decade ago.
It does make you wonder if the current business cycle is about to come to an abrupt end -- like it did 10 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:31 PM

Not an abrupt end yet but a massive slowdown of residential construction. I thought it would have started to show in summer 18. We'll see.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
There was an initial request for up to 19 story's but the more recent news doesn't mention it, could have just been a zoning thing for future or resale value?

Beside that I still see our current economic trajectory to be much more stable and consistent that in 2008 the biggest thing to worry is overvalued stocks but the underlying economy is still strong.

It would be pretty shitty to have another recession since we basically are just now getting back to 2007 levels after 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:42 PM
Skyriser

This came out yesterday. Overvalued stocks puts it lightly.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ed-in-10-years

I am not looking forward to 2018. The only saving grace about this economic runup is all the money in the hands of more discerning private investors rather than, eg, people's home equity in 2007 and stocks in 2000.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 11:28 PM
METRO: Encanto

Last night the Encanto VPC (in a joint meeting with the Midtown TOD Steering Committee) heard a presentation from the new owners of Park Central. It was really disappointing, lipstick on a pig in my estimation. First, they don't own the entire complex, not even the entire parking lot. They have no plans for any new buildings, it will continue to be office with a few restaurants. It will still be presenting a sea of parking lot and cars to Central Ave. A spiffy new sign on Central and some sort of walkway/bikeway entrance from Central and brave talk about attracting high tech innovative employers. The presenter was pretty inept, kept referring to 3rd Ave as 3rd Street and referred to the area as "uptown Phoenix" which pissed off the Midtown TOD folks.

When asked about HQ2 Christine Mackay from the City chimed in that if Phoenix actually got it, the plans for Park Central wouldn't change, that it was adequate for a Phase I and that it was a linear proposal linked by light rail.

The only thing positive that I got out of it was a that the popup library was setting up in the basement of the old Goldwaters store and it would open the first of January.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:50 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Last night the Encanto VPC (in a joint meeting with the Midtown TOD Steering Committee) heard a presentation from the new owners of Park Central. It was really disappointing, lipstick on a pig in my estimation. First, they don't own the entire complex, not even the entire parking lot. They have no plans for any new buildings, it will continue to be office with a few restaurants. It will still be presenting a sea of parking lot and cars to Central Ave. A spiffy new sign on Central and some sort of walkway/bikeway entrance from Central and brave talk about attracting high tech innovative employers. The presenter was pretty inept, kept referring to 3rd Ave as 3rd Street and referred to the area as "uptown Phoenix" which pissed off the Midtown TOD folks.

When asked about HQ2 Christine Mackay from the City chimed in that if Phoenix actually got it, the plans for Park Central wouldn't change, that it was adequate for a Phase I and that it was a linear proposal linked by light rail.

The only thing positive that I got out of it was a that the popup library was setting up in the basement of the old Goldwaters store and it would open the first of January.
You've confirmed what I was thinking. This sounds a lot like the renovation of Uptown Plaza -- a new look that sort of returns to the shopping center's origins and some new tenants (with some old ones departing) but very little in the way of developing prime land more intensively. The patchwork ownership is definitely a complicating factor.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 3:33 AM

I told you guys it was just a face lift and wouldn't provide anything in the way of development. It will remain a giant medical billing and call center.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I drive past the 17 at around 1130 every night. It seems like the source is somewhere near the Tent City Area. There’s always smoke or a haze coming from there and it gets pretty thick around the I17 SW bend. It’s literally made me nauseous just driving through there before, which is very concerning. Smells like a mix between burnt rubber & fertilizer. Further, it’s concerning that guests in downtown are smelling that. Not a very welcoming smell to Phoenix lol.
Could be the Maricopa Animal Shelter or whatever it's called. I believe they incinerate animals at night.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 5:06 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It was really disappointing, lipstick on a pig in my estimation. First, they don't own the entire complex, not even the entire parking lot. They have no plans for any new buildings, it will continue to be office with a few restaurants.
I'm really not sure what they could build there that would be in demand. Office? No way. Hotel? Who wants to stay there? They are way too late to market for the current boom for rental residential. Maybe a condo product...

Quote:
The presenter was pretty inept, kept referring to 3rd Ave as 3rd Street and referred to the area as "uptown Phoenix" which pissed off the Midtown TOD folks.
This kinda makes me happy. Uptown and Midtown were always ambiguous years ago. Now, they're distinct neighborhoods.

Quote:
This kinda makes me sad. While I have not seen the proposal, Phoenix submitted one site for HQ2. That it was just one site almost made it seem with Arizona's real estate wheelings and dealings that some secret hand was in the bag when other cities were having a field day with sites.

A linear connection is not what Amazon seemed to be looking for in their proposal, especially because Park Central has no immediately potential tenancy for that fabled Phase 1's 500,000 sqft of office.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Ash trees to be exact. Great news!
Don't want to turn this into a tree thread but across the street from Renaissance Square (in front of the Dunkin' Donuts), they made 3 cuts into the sidewalk and planted 3 more Ash trees!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Don't want to turn this into a tree thread but across the street from Renaissance Square (in front of the Dunkin' Donuts), they made 3 cuts into the sidewalk and planted 3 more Ash trees!
Good more Trees the better especially in the middle of downtown, well heck anywhere in this city, if you are that concerned about the desert environment don't live in the city.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
You've confirmed what I was thinking. This sounds a lot like the renovation of Uptown Plaza -- a new look that sort of returns to the shopping center's origins and some new tenants (with some old ones departing) but very little in the way of developing prime land more intensively. The patchwork ownership is definitely a complicating factor.
Yep, a huge WIN for the area.

Some of you are complaining about Richard + Bauer renovating the butthole of Midtown? Give me a break.

https://www.richard-bauer.com/work/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:58 PM

I guess if you consider a cosmetic facelift of a place that houses nothing but medical billing offices and call centers plus a few 9-5 restaurants a "win" then there's no point in trying to discuss it with you.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:41 PM

I say a face lift is better than nothing. If, in time, someone wants to buy that area for something more, then GREAT. For now, a lift is better than status quo!!!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:43 PM

And.... more trees is always a great thing. Ashes rock!!! They canopy well, add shade, and have color in the fall!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I say a face lift is better than nothing. If, in time, someone wants to buy that area for something more, then GREAT. For now, a lift is better than status quo!!!
I agree. One thing at a time!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:58 PM

Walked by Cityscape earlier, I guess Charming Charlie is closing. They're having a 30-50% sale with a sign saying "everything must go." Hate to see retail go, but it's a prime corner, I hope another store fills the space quickly.

Subway at Luhrs has also closed, referring customers to their Monroe/Central location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest