HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
But why bypass the population center of Kenora? Also, what's the need for this? There's already so much invested in the TCH as it currently lies, I can't imagine what the point of this new northern route is.
There is no need, think he was just having fun. Is there really a need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for a highway to service a few thousand people.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
are they heated though
as someone thst built an extensive network of rural it u need to heat ur cabinates or they break down
The specs in the 2015 tender reference a battery heater system that look like an electric pad underneath each battery.

It looks like the battery UPS is to provide full signal service for 2 hours and then a further 2 hours of 4 way flashing red service. All at an ambient temp of -30 degrees Celsius

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:04 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
There is no need, think he was just having fun. Is there really a need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for a highway to service a few thousand people.
Ontario backed out of building the (more modest) road to Red Lake that Manitoba started north of the Whiteshell, allegedly because they didn’t want to encourage ties between that region and Manitoba.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:08 PM

^Which road is that?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Ontario backed out of building the (more modest) road to Red Lake that Manitoba started north of the Whiteshell, allegedly because they didn’t want to encourage ties between that region and Manitoba.
Seems like a bit of a waste for Ontario to build anything that far north. there is nothing up there.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Would that be #315 that runs past Bird Lake in Nopiming PP that dead ends in ON at Werner Lake?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:57 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Seems like a bit of a waste for Ontario to build anything that far north. there is nothing up there.
It was partly out of safety and economic concerns about those communities being cut off during forest fire season.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Would that be #315 that runs past Bird Lake in Nopiming PP that dead ends in ON at Werner Lake?
I was thinking that. But its not really a loop up to Red Lake. Seems it would just join the current red lake road.

Would make more sense if it split off somewhere between Beresford and Bissett to give Red Lake another access point from the NE, to create a loop. Not that it really matters.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:50 PM

More of a comment....i havent seen one single piece of snow clearing equipment do any kind of street work this entire winter on my street.

But they decided to scrape our neighborhood last Friday. They couldn't have waited until after the weekend???

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
More of a comment....i havent seen one single piece of snow clearing equipment do any kind of street work this entire winter on my street.

But they decided to scrape our neighborhood last Friday. They couldn't have waited until after the weekend???

I think the reason why they came was because of the warm weather. they wanted to get rid of as much packed snow to prevent damming at drains. This latest snow fall should melt rather easily.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post

Sidewalks were cleaned in front our house twice this winter, once in December after a couple snowfalls and then about a week later even though it hadnt snowed since the first cleaning. Nothing since.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 2:35 PM

They cleaned our sidewalks quite a few times especially early on. Seemed like a waste to me.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly, just having fun. Even though I have always lived in Winnipeg I don't have that bad economic habit that everyone seems to have around here of trying to do or even imagine something by the "cheapest possible way that's tolerable". I'm a pie in the sky optimist that likes to splurge once in awhile to do something nice and proper

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:25 PM

Not Winnipeg specifically, but close enough:

Roundabout coming to major Manitoba highway intersection

Quote:
A roundabout will be built at the intersection of Highway 2 and Highway 3 just south of Oak Bluff.

The province said Thursday it will be the first roundabout to be built on a provincial highway network.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4099060/r...-intersection/

Seems like a good idea to me. Even if this intersection is busy enough to warrant an interchange, it would be so far down the list of priorities that it probably wouldn't happen during our lifetimes. So this is a reasonable compromise.

I've seen roundabouts like this while driving on roads and highways in Europe in exactly the same situations, i.e., where they're on the periphery of towns and cities where an interchange isn't obviously necessary but a regular intersection would be insufficient.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:28 PM

It seems those highways are redundant. Why would there be two access points to Hwy 100 in such a short stretch. Close one leg of that intersection and build the interchange at 100. Would solve a lot of this I would've thought.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It seems those highways are redundant. Why would there be two access points to Hwy 100 in such a short stretch. Close one leg of that intersection and build the interchange at 100. Would solve a lot of this I would've thought.
That would make sense too, although this announcement probably tells you about the odds of that interchange getting built anytime soon...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:48 PM

While thinking outside the sideways box (aka diamond) is nice to see I wonder how this proposed roundabout is going to handle LCV (semi's with 2x53' trailers).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That would make sense too, although this announcement probably tells you about the odds of that interchange getting built anytime soon...
That's why you guys should elect a government that will actually convert TCH (main route) and 75 into proper controlled-access freeways. I'm pretty sure I said this before. Canadian highways are generally in a sorry state.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:54 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That's why you guys should elect a government that will actually convert TCH (main route) and 75 into proper controlled-access freeways. I'm pretty sure I said this before. Canadian highways are generally in a sorry state.
No one campaigns on it. The NDP came close with the whole upgrading to 'interstate standards' BS a while back, but that was just a grandiose announcement that didn't really do anything. Plus they're way too busy increasing spending on administration and creating new government agencies to care about the highways. The PCs are well... the PCs. They won't touch infrastructure too much until they can get the budget under control which might be never, so we are screwed either way.

If I were running for premier that would be such a low hanging political fruit that I can't see why it hasn't yet been done.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
No one campaigns on it. The NDP came close with the whole upgrading to 'interstate standards' BS a while back, but that was just a grandiose announcement that didn't really do anything. Plus they're way too busy increasing spending on administration and creating new government agencies to care about the highways. The PCs are well... the PCs. They won't touch infrastructure too much until they can get the budget under control which might be never, so we are screwed either way.

If I were running for premier that would be such a low hanging political fruit that I can't see why it hasn't yet been done.
Perhaps it really takes a premier whose close friend (or family member) died from a T-bone collision at one of those light-controlled intersections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan