HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
It's such a prominent addition to the skyline. I wish we had 5 more like it going up!
Fischbob posted a night photo of the skyline here that looks awesome too.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...60#post7962460

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Love it. Makes me wonder what Moncton would have looked like built on Lutes Mountain instead of on the Petitcodiac River floodplain.
Yeah, the nice thing about Uptown Saint John being built on a steep hill is that it exaggerates the buildings, creating an illusion that they're taller than they really are. Especially the new Irving HQ which is only a little over half as tall as the Brunswick Square tower but it's on the peak of the hill and that makes it look nearly as high from a lot of angles.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:56 PM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Yeah, the nice thing about Uptown Saint John being built on a steep hill is that it exaggerates the buildings, creating an illusion that they're taller than they really are. Especially the new Irving HQ which is only a little over half as tall as the Brunswick Square tower but it's on the peak of the hill and that makes it look nearly as high from a lot of angles.

The reverse is true in some cases too, there are a few 6 to 8 storey-tall buildings on Water Street that look like they are the same height as two storey brownstones the next block up

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
If the Irving Oil World HQ is 11 stories tall, then it looks like it's now been topped out, and that construction crane will be coming down soon.

=P

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 3:54 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The tower crane is coming down this weekend. Here's a neat photo I found on the CHSJ Twitter feed:

Source

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:39 PM

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:53 PM

Update?

This is one of the most significant developments in Saint John in a long time - so I'm curious why no photo updates in the past 1.5 months? It must be nearly done by now.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 7:10 PM

Best I can do at the moment is a blurry far-away potato photo from the west side.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:40 AM

Thanks! Looks pretty prominent! Too bad it isn't slimmer and taller though. I feel like Irving was our only hope for the tallest building in Saint John since Brunswick Square.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:32 PM

Yeah, it would have been awesome to see a really tall building on that site... it's pretty much the highest point on the peninsula, which is why the building looks so tall despite being shorter than our existing tallest buildings like the Brunswick Square tower.

But I also understand why they went with a squatter design to better fit in with the older buildings around it, and to bend the rules of the heritage zone building requirements gently enough to get a permit approved in the first place.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:11 PM
ハルウララ

I think the height and width are fine. Anything taller would stick out too much...this building adds much more bulk to the skyline and that's good. A variance in the skyline is better than having one building obscenely taller than the others. This building is not table-topping the skyline nor is it sticking out too much.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I think the height and width are fine. Anything taller would stick out too much...this building adds much more bulk to the skyline and that's good. A variance in the skyline is better than having one building obscenely taller than the others. This building is not table-topping the skyline nor is it sticking out too much.
Agree completely. The trouble with the Moncton skyline is that it doesn't have the heft of the Saint John skyline. Assumption Place is a single 20 storey phallus totally dominating everything else in the downtown. I've always thought it would have been a better contribution to the urbanity of the downtown area if it had been a single 12 storey building with a larger footprint, or separate 12 and 8 storey towers.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Agree completely. The trouble with the Moncton skyline is that it doesn't have the heft of the Saint John skyline. Assumption Place is a single 20 storey phallus totally dominating everything else in the downtown. I've always thought it would have been a better contribution to the urbanity of the downtown area if it had been a single 12 storey building with a larger footprint, or separate 12 and 8 storey towers.
I think the Aliant antenna tower counts a little more as Moncton's "phallus", but I take your point.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 1:53 AM
Unregistered Loser

Here is a pic I found, taken by Jim Carroll showing the skyline with the new building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:38 AM

Wow! Great shot - should post that in the Show us Your Skylines thread

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Wow! Great shot - should post that in the Show us Your Skylines thread
No way that's a real photo... why does the moon look cartoonishly big. I'm out of town so I'd like to see a few more high-def skyline pictures when someone gets the chance! The project must be done by now?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
No way that's a real photo... why does the moon look cartoonishly big. I'm out of town so I'd like to see a few more high-def skyline pictures when someone gets the chance! The project must be done by now?
It may be real. The moon always looks bigger close to the horizon, and it may be a trick of a telephoto lens too.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
The project must be done by now?
Not completely; there's still some ongoing work on the facade and the interior has a long way yet to go.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 10:53 PM

Excavation work has begun for the parking garage between King St. East and Leinster St.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces