HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 9:05 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Newport Village is a block or two down the hill from this station. It's not really an issue.
Also, that huge empty lot right beside the station is just screaming for redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 9:30 PM

The line would have only gotten closer to Newport Village if Guildford Way was the preferred route, but that was (unfortunately) nixed a long time ago.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Man the comments on the News 1130 article. Some people REALLY have it against public transit...
Hehe Im a little pissed at public transit right now, im taking a course at one of the post secondary schools and they added $120 to the tuition for a UPass that I dont want and will never use(maybe once a month).

Anyways back on topic.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 10:44 PM

Don't blame the transit agency, blame your fellow students for voting the UPass in. They do require at least 50% or was it 75% of the vote to pass.

I'm a driver and a transit user. That means I'm subsidizing myself. lol.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 11:02 PM

Funny, because the UPass is part of the reason Translink is in such a huge financial hole.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 11:23 PM

You really think so?

Let's say at SFU, 25% of students before took transit, $81/mo (all zones using the FastTrax sticker). Now 100% of the student population is required to buy a U-Pass @ $28/mo. That's 40% more revenue for Translink. The only thing is that transit ridership may have doubled to 50%, although really Translink only needs to increase transit service maybe 10-20% to accommodate that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:05 AM

Isn't it all spelled out in Crilly's reports? Average revenue per rider has dropped since the introduction of the UPass, and continues to drop as it gets expanded.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:57 AM

Ah, didn't see that. So number of new riders have exceeded additional revenue.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 5:01 AM

Well as a SFU student, I wouldn't mind paying more for more university services and to invest in the system.

I recall that Human Transit had mentioned once that schools in general are rather problematic to serve for any transit agency given the short but intense demands that they place on the system, which often causes buses serving these schools to become delayed and all with knock-on effects that could last for up to an hour or more.

Unfortunately, I've mentioned this before but no one really takes a serious look at it from my perspective... Everyone is more like... "ehh, it's their problem". No wonder why the system just feels like it's about to crumble. =S (sigh)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Ah, didn't see that. So number of new riders have exceeded additional revenue.
The price of original U-Pass was determined so that there is no net gain or loss in revenue if the service and ridership remains the same. So the cost of increased service due to the increase of ridership will have to be subsidized. If I remember correctly from the commissioner report, the cost recovery associated with service expansion due to U-pass was something like 14%?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Man the comments on the News 1130 article. Some people REALLY have it against public transit...
You have to lear nnot to read those comments...

A funny one i found was one where i guy was comlainging about the at grade section because he thinks it will have to stop at intersections andtheir wil be pedestrina accidents He / She did not even bother to look at the documents and see that it will be a 100% separated at grade stretch akin to the Canada Line at YVR. (they also didn't bother to connect the fact that it is being built as skytrain, which automatically means 100% segregation)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:37 AM
A.H.-Ha!

For most of the times, reading comments on news articles are just like spending 1 minute on 4chan: "It'll make your brain melt!"

That aside, I am glad to see something actually starting in preparation for the big dig.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 12:41 AM

As some of you may know, the Mohawk gas station at the intersection of Clarke Rd. and Como Lake Ave. has just been completely demolished earlier today to make way for the Evergreen Line guideway. Good to see that some concrete progress is underway.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:13 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianroam95 View Post
As some of you may know, the Mohawk gas station at the intersection of Clarke Rd. and Como Lake Ave. has just been completely demolished earlier today to make way for the Evergreen Line guideway. Good to see that some concrete progress is underway.
we needs a photo or queetz won`t believe it

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianroam95 View Post
They sure made quick work of that! Though they will still need to remove the underground fuel storage tanks, piping, and perform soil remediation on the site, however.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 4:48 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I think I need to ride on this line before I'll believe it exists, pictures or not.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
And then nearly the entire skytrain car empties at Broadway, everyone trudges up to Commercial, and crushes onto the expo line to get downtown. I surely hope that there are plans to INCREASE capacity on the EXPO line into downtown after Evergreen opens.
There is a plan. Part of the Evergreen Line budget includes capacity upgrades at Broadway-Commercial. A second northbound platform will be added on the Expo Line so that trains can be boarded from both sides at the same time (I think this will be a first in Canada, but correct me if I'm wrong). The station will also have new connections from the Evergreen Line to the Expo Line to handle the increased passenger loads, including new escalators, new bridge over Broadway (to connect direct to the new platform). And more short-turn trains will run from Broadway to Waterfront.

More capacity is being added to the B-line stops to handle increase in passengers transferring to the B-line.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:43 PM

This gets em very excited! Broadway is going to feel like a true hub! Right now Waterfront is the only station that feels like a true hub to me in vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
There is a plan. Part of the Evergreen Line budget includes capacity upgrades at Broadway-Commercial. A second northbound platform will be added on the Expo Line so that trains can be boarded from both sides at the same time (I think this will be a first in Canada, but correct me if I'm wrong).
The Sheppard/Yonge station in Toronto has a Spanish solution that is not in regular use.

You could claim that Stadium Station has one as well.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 2:11 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
You could claim that Stadium Station has one as well.
No, the third platform for Stadium is exclusive for a separate set of tracks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure