HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Today, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Why would Seattle based Amazon come to Chicago to be closer to Seattle based Starbucks?

I’m guessing the Amazon folks are getting tired of Starbucks coffee...
There is no city in America where Amazon could locate that is not saturated by Starbucks. It matters not at all in their decision-making process.

Old Posted Today, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnies23 View Post
As if I needed anymore of a reason to be anyone but Pritzker in the primary or the general.
The current Governor is claiming he will lower your income taxes to 3% if you give him one more shot. It's just as unrealistic and pandering as Pritzker. The difference is that with home rule, Chicago manages its own housing policy, but Governors sign income tax legislation.

Old Posted Today, 6:08 PM

Yeah that's the problem though, Chicago manages its own housing policy and is totally overrun by people looking to use government for a handout. Just look at our pension program. Give them the option to vote themselves cheap housing for life (of course for longer than that as children inherit mom's cheap rent controlled apartment and sub let it out for huge profits) and they will do so. Rent control is the absolute last thing Chicago needs.

Also, no, rent control does not work for NYC or SF. Do you see rents falling there? Rent Control only works for the lucky f'ers who get their hands on the limited supply of those apartments. Everyone else pays for their lifestyles.

Old Posted Today, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Also, no, rent control does not work for NYC or SF. Do you see rents falling there? Rent Control only works for the lucky f'ers who get their hands on the limited supply of those apartments. Everyone else pays for their lifestyles.
I haven't seen anyone in these comments supporting rent control. My point was that this is simply a form of pandering just as Rauner is doing on income taxes. The difference is that the Governor has power over the income taxes, while the city controls it's own policy on rent control.

Pritzker is promising something bad that he can't actually deliver/sign while Rauner is promising something bad that he could actually deliver/sign.

Old Posted Today, 6:53 PM

Apple just announced it will build a second corporate headquarters as it brings back $250 billion in overseas profits and pays $38 billion in corporate income taxes. It will select a location later this year and create 20k jobs over the next 5 years.
Well if we don’t get amazon maybe we can land Apple

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...117-story.html

Old Posted Today, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
I haven't seen anyone in these comments supporting rent control. My point was that this is simply a form of pandering just as Rauner is doing on income taxes. The difference is that the Governor has power over the income taxes, while the city controls it's own policy on rent control.

Pritzker is promising something bad that he can't actually deliver/sign while Rauner is promising something bad that he could actually deliver/sign.
The state of Illinois passed a law a couple decades back that prohibits all rent control. And for good reason as rent control is a train wreck for higher rents as seen in NYC and SF. I’m a happy renter and even I oppose this.

http://chicagoeviction.com/2017/03/l...ontrol-coming/
Yes, I realize the source, but I wanted to show a law already exists.

Old Posted Today, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
The current Governor is claiming he will lower your income taxes to 3% if you give him one more shot. It's just as unrealistic and pandering as Pritzker.

Now if he were talking about replacing the income tax with a (fully deductible) payroll tax then we'd have something to talk about.

Old Posted Today, 8:10 PM

Rent control is one of those awful ideas that just won’t die despite overwhelming evidence of its awfulness.

That said, it doesn’t look like these guys are aiming for traditional rent control, but likely some rent stabilization measures that prevent rapid increases in rent. Still a terrible idea that might actually lead to overall higher rents, but not as bad - especially if such a measure would reduce opposition to new development in gentrifying areas.

Old Posted Today, 8:11 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnies23 View Post
Apple just announced it will build a second corporate headquarters as it brings back $250 billion in overseas profits and pays $38 billion in corporate income taxes. It will select a location later this year and create 20k jobs over the next 5 years.
Well if we don’t get amazon maybe we can land Apple

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...117-story.html
I don't know what's happening anymore!

Next thing you know the US government is looking for a second capital!

Old Posted Today, 8:35 PM

The old McDonald's campus would be a great fit for Apple's suburban-mindedness. Plenty of room for another 10,000 spot parking lot.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Apple actually go for an urban campus.

Old Posted Today, 8:55 PM
Professional Midwesterner

* posts deleted *

please keep all discussion about presidential politics out of this thread.

we already have a dedicated place for all of that stupid crap on this forum: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...php?forumid=14

Last edited by Steely Dan; Today at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Today, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Now if he were talking about replacing the income tax with a (fully deductible) payroll tax then we'd have something to talk about.
This is the move to watch. Maryland, New York and California are all working on different loopholes to avoid the SALT deduction cap.

Some states looking for ways around federal tax law

Old Posted Today, 10:01 PM

Just went by the new Moody Bible addition on Wells, and wow is that thing bad. Like a suburban warehouse that was put up quickly...

Old Posted Today, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
The old McDonald's campus would be a great fit for Apple's suburban-mindedness. Plenty of room for another 10,000 spot parking lot.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Apple actually go for an urban campus.
That approach is more a product of history and how companies operate in the valley—not necessarily some sort of intrinsic company approach. Even with their new headquarters, they still operate facilities a couple minutes away in San Jose and to a lesser extent in San Francisco.

I think the kind of approach google has taken would be more likely. Large suburban campus in the valley as the hub, but more urban satellite offices where needed.(Even if Apple has fewer, but larger, of these offices)

Old Posted Today, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
That approach is more a product of history and how companies operate in the valley—not necessarily some sort of intrinsic company approach. Even with their new headquarters, they still operate facilities a couple minutes away in San Jose and to a lesser extent in San Francisco.

I think the kind of approach google has taken would be more likely. Large suburban campus in the valley as the hub, but more urban satellite offices where needed.(Even if Apple has fewer, but larger, of these offices)
I'm hoping you're right, but you can also look at their campus in Austin which is also very suburban. I'm thinking they're going more for a suburban type of thing, and I'd be surprised if they didn't go for that - but wouldn't be upset if they wanted something with more urbanity.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development