HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Do you mean backwards? That's the view from the west. Here it is from the east if it helps.

[IMG]Toronto Skyline Timeline by steveve, on Flickr[/IMG]
Yes that is what I meant. Cool thanks!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Very cool. 2027 view from the east really resembles Chicago from the lake to me.

The CBD resembles the Sears Tower peak (minus the CN Tower), the area around Aura resembles the Trump Tower/Chicago River area and the area with The One reminds me of the Hancock Peak.

No City vs City insinuation here - just an observation from an outsider.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:04 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ I agree, it does resemble Chicago from the lake (& that's a (very) good thing).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:59 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Very well done steveve!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 11:13 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^ I agree, it does resemble Chicago from the lake (& that's a (very) good thing).
That's not the view from the lake. The future for the lake view is a supertall glass wall.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:37 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Toronto's view from the east 2027 resembles Chicagos view from the lake 2017... IMO.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 1:30 AM
gettin' rich!

The concentration of towers in Southcore, Gerrard/Yonge and Yorkville is overwhelming.

415 Yonge is not in the rendering?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The concentration of towers in Southcore, Gerrard/Yonge and Yorkville is overwhelming.
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I kinda found it underwhelming.
Maybe because I've spent a lot of time in New York and am subconsciously comparing the density and bulk of downtown and midtown with these images.

Sure, there's a lot of tall buildings in Toronto, but I can't but help feel it's also lacking some oomph too.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:11 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Maybe because I've spent a lot of time in New York and am subconsciously comparing the density and bulk of downtown and midtown with these images.

Sure, there's a lot of tall buildings in Toronto, but I can't but help feel it's also lacking some oomph too.
Maybe because so few of the buildings outside of the financial district are office buildings and therefore are smaller in girth.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:36 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Toronto is a village, it needs more density and a good east-west subway line in the core. The coming DRL needs to stretch all the way West to Dufferin.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:34 PM

First off, glad to see my drawings made it over here. Thank you @TorontoDrew for posting them, very much appreciated, and feel free to continue to doing so! (I'm rarely on SSP anymore, nothing personal, just way too much happening over on UT as is).

To those unaware, the original thread where these graphics are regularly posted is here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/posts/1295373/
High resolution versions are all located here: http://flickr.com/stevevephotostream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Very cool. 2027 view from the east really resembles Chicago from the lake to me.
The CBD resembles the Sears Tower peak (minus the CN Tower), the area around Aura resembles the Trump Tower/Chicago River area and the area with The One reminds me of the Hancock Peak.
Quote:

Personally, I see more indirect parallels to the Manhattan skyline (although Manhattan is on another level). Scale-wise we're definitely more Chicago though.
Yorkville/The One cluster is our 57th Street.
Aura/YSL is our Hudson Yards/Empire State peak.
CN Tower/CBD is our Lower Manhattan/1WTC peak.

Funny because I drew this exact comparison in December:
*Height is relatively accurate, but New York is compressed on the horizontal axis approx 25% (distance) and also taken out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

415 Yonge is not in the rendering?
Here's the updated 2028 view with 415 Yonge + others:

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:11 PM

That's a good comparison with New York, and reconfirms my feeling towards how Toronto compares. Apart from the absolute height of the towers in New York being higher, particularly given the number of towers over 400m, but the numbers in the 200-300 (ish) range is much further spread and bulkier in New York. I would love to see that much density and height in Toronto's skyline.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:26 PM

cool Toronto renderings, but they are not accurate. You forgot to add the construction crane to the L tower in the 2007, 2017 and presumably the 2027 rendering.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:05 PM
I am the law!

That's what I said

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
First off, glad to see my drawings made it over here. Thank you @TorontoDrew for posting them, very much appreciated, and feel free to continue to doing so! (I'm rarely on SSP anymore, nothing personal, just way too much happening over on UT as is).

To those unaware, the original thread where these graphics are regularly posted is here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/posts/1295373/
High resolution versions are all located here: http://flickr.com/stevevephotostream

Personally, I see more indirect parallels to the Manhattan skyline (although Manhattan is on another level). Scale-wise we're definitely more Chicago though.
Yorkville/The One cluster is our 57th Street.
Aura/YSL is our Hudson Yards/Empire State peak.
CN Tower/CBD is our Lower Manhattan/1WTC peak.

Funny because I drew this exact comparison in December:
*Height is relatively accurate, but New York is compressed on the horizontal axis approx 25% (distance) and also taken out of context.

Here's the updated 2028 view with 415 Yonge + others:

these are awesome. Well done!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:20 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Loving this thread right now - my kind of stuff !

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:02 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

+1

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:06 AM

Quote:

It totally lacks oomph.
Even compared to Chicago that has a smaller built up area. NYC and Chicago have so many impressive skyscrapers. It would take another century or more of Toronto's growth rate to catch up a bit to New York but when it comes to Chicago we are poised to surpass them in the near future. It's not far fetched to presume Toronto could have North America's second best skyline in 25 years.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:12 AM

Anybody here that has been to Chicago and Toronto would know that Chicago's high rise skyline from the lake is not deep but impressive and that Toronto s is deep but not wide. Not since the 90s have we built any real impressive towers though but as we know that is changing now.and by the time our skyline truly surpasses theirs our Golden Horseshoe population will be nipping at the heels of Chicagolands decreasing size. Fermenting our position as North America's 4th largest metropolis. Fingers crossed we get a Ghery before he dies.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:04 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Sales for M & G may start in the Spring... within a year we may have 3 supertalls rising!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada