HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:17 AM

There is a difference though. There are not a bazillion Lougheed Town Centers across this country. I can't go into 7-Eleven and pick up an Aberndeen Center.

The malls themselves are Geographic landmarks, ON MAPS. People know where they are. So it is not really the malls benefiting from the stations, it is the stations benefiting from the malls. I know where Metrotown Station is because I know where the mall is. And the malls names themselves usually originate from local area names or the names of local historical events or persons. Heck, Lansdowne is the name of the street! And Lougheed is the name of the Highway which itself is named after Nelson Seymour Lougheed.

But where would Telus Station be? Coke Station? Pepsi Doritos Ultimate Crunch station? Is that in the 'burbs? They have no meaning outside the packages you see in stores.

But Coquitlam Center Station, or Douglas College station: I know where those are without the stations even being built, and I'm sure most people would too if you asked them. But ask people where they should put the Royal Bank station, and the most common answer would probably be: "up your ass".

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

I'm going to post this article here since all these funding stuff affects Evergreen Line more than anything else....

http://www.surreyleader.com/news/143390006.html

Quote:
Metro Vancouver drivers may pay either an annual vehicle registration fee or a new regional carbon tax to shore up TransLink's finances for the short term.

The Mayors' Council on Regional Transportation wants the provincial government to enable both of those sources as possible ways to raise $30 million a year that will otherwise get added to TransLink property taxes starting in 2013.
While that is all fine and dandy, I do find this comment very disturbing....

Quote:
He denied the request for enabling legislation now is an attempt to get new sources in place before they become a political football going into next year's provincial election.

"When it comes to government policy, there are no guarantees," Fassbender said, acknowledging the NDP could take power and dismantle new TransLink taxes.

"If it's in legislation, they have one of two choices: they honour it or they change it."
I know the current BC NDP did support the 2 cent gas tax increase and seem to support the Evergreen Line in general but I do find it disturbing that Evergreen Line's funding can still be killed due to political mumbo jumbo (i.e. if not the BC NDP, what about the BC Conservatives if they somehow win?). Or will everything still be okay as long as the contracts with the Primary Contractors have been signed?

I guess the Ujal Dosanj incident still haunts me to this very day and nothing is simply final until the Evergreen Line is really up and running.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:13 PM

If new funding is not in place, they'll go with the 2 years temporary property tax - this part is already passed.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
testify

without a thought, i think i can pretty much guarantee you that the bcndp would under no circumstances kill the evergreen line.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

North Road widening tender let for Evergreen

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/evergreen_li...023-000258.pdf

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:05 AM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

edit: misread comment, nm

Last edited by Pinion; Mar 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:07 AM

No political party in their right mind would cancel the Evergreen Line, especially at this stage of pre construction (where things are physically being done now).

I feel that is a little bit of fear mongering now, the NDP canceling this project is about as high a risk as Christi Clark flip flopping on it now and canceling it.

Not that either are impossible, but highly unlikely.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
No political party in their right mind would cancel the Evergreen Line, especially at this stage of pre construction (where things are physically being done now).
You do realize that this is British Columbia, right?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:48 AM

while projects have been cancelled in the past by various government, I dont think any project this politically hot and this advanced in work has been cancelled before (and this size), especially given the federal funding contribution.

Correct me if I am wrong.

And as I said, even if there is a chance, I would say both major parties are equally likely to do something that stupid at this point in BC.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:43 AM

You're not wrong, I just don't think that you can count anything out when it comes to politics here.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:03 PM

i don't know CHRISTY DID IT and i got a postcard in the mail a couple weeks ago to make it LOUD and CLEAR that she and the liberals did it for me

did anyone else get the postcard? or just those living in the evergreen line areas?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:22 PM
loafing in lotusland

Just to clarify... Christy did what? Sorry, I'm not sure who you're responding to.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Just to clarify... Christy did what? Sorry, I'm not sure who you're responding to.
I'm guessing SpongeG got a mailout from the BCLibs with the messaging that Christy Clark was responsible for making sure that the Evergreen Line is getting built.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 7:04 PM
testify

gordo killed the millennium line when he was elected, but there's been a sea change in thinking on transit since then. and the ndp's leader is a pro-transit radical, heading a party with strong electoral prospects from maple ridge all the way to burnaby, and there's no way he'd kill it. as for clark, she's in the same electoral boat. and the project's already in the pipes. there's just no chance.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
gordo killed the millennium line when he was elected, but there's been a sea change in thinking on transit since then. and the ndp's leader is a pro-transit radical, heading a party with strong electoral prospects from maple ridge all the way to burnaby, and there's no way he'd kill it. as for clark, she's in the same electoral boat. and the project's already in the pipes. there's just no chance.
Gordo did what now? I assume you mean Evergreen?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 8:08 PM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

Quote:
I thought you were saying the NDP would kill it. My bad.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 9:23 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
while projects have been cancelled in the past by various government, I dont think any project this politically hot and this advanced in work has been cancelled before (and this size), especially given the federal funding contribution.

Correct me if I am wrong.
The jury is still out on this but one has to look at the recent "Transit City" project in Toronto with that idiotic mayor, Rob Ford, totally screwing it up. And in terms of size, it dwarfs all of Metro Vancouver's rapid transit projects past and future....so yes, it is possible.

Quote:
There is an article today about Adrian Dix getting caught for not having a Skytrain ticket.

http://www.vancouversun.com/leader+c...379/story.html

I personally shrugged it off and think nothing off it but the mere fact that he takes public transportation shows that perhaps there is hope for Evergreen Line's completion if the BC NDP does win (we'll worry about the lack of office tower construction in other threads).

I admit, I am really getting annoyed by Christy with her constant flip flopping on the transit issues and this coming from a proud BC Liberal. If transit expansion is the only thing I desire, I'd abandon them. She is causing this mess and uncertainty with the Evergreen Line even more...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2381002/

Quote:
Regional mayors say they will explore the possibility of cancelling all new transit improvements, except the Evergreen Line, if the province puts them in a position of paying for the changes through property taxes.

This article better be accurate with regards of the mayors leaving Evergreen Line alone...

On other news, it looks like (my own preferred) Evergreen Line bidder SNC Lavalin is seeing some light regarding its recent troubles with the mysterious $56 million payment. The CEO resigned as a result for his bumbling move that caused this issue in the first place, and the increase in its stock prices is giving me some relief.

http://www.stockhouse.com/Community-...as-CEO-resigns

Quote:
SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. (TSX: T.SNC, Stock Forum) rose 5.5% to $41.43 Monday after the company said its chief executive officer Pierre Duhaime resigned amid allegations regarding improper payments.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
it would have made sense, i didn't know there was a whole page afterwards haha of the last post which i thought was the last post...

anyway yes I got a mailout - i assume its only for people in this area it says in big letters CHRISTY DID IT and how great is she for giving us the evergreen line sorry not getting my vote

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 4:46 AM

all the trees along north road at lougheed mall have been cut down - i don't know if its evergreen related or part of the malls plans for towers

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 12:32 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure