HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:12 AM

This has probably been asked before but is there a train yard as part of the project? If so where and will it have the capacity to accommodate additional trains for an extension of the M-Line westward?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
This has probably been asked before but is there a train yard as part of the project? If so where and will it have the capacity to accommodate additional trains for an extension of the M-Line westward?
I believe that they're putting in a yard between Ioco Station and Coquitlam Central.

Maybe it's nothing, but I drove by the old Bombardier factory in New West a little while ago and noticed that all the old clothing manufacturer (mac and jac) signs had been taken down, and equipment was being removed. Maybe Bombardier is coming back?

(Added by red-paladin: It would only make sense to use that building and reconnect the tracks, but who knows.)

Last edited by GeeCee; Apr 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:04 AM

Don't make me drool Bombardier coming back, we can only hope. We will need them through 2026 (Evergreen Line, second 28-car order and also MarK I replacements in early-mid 2020's).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
all the trees along north road at lougheed mall have been cut down - i don't know if its evergreen related or part of the malls plans for towers
Maybe they were just blocking someone's view?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:25 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I believe that they're putting in a yard between Ioco Station and Coquitlam Central.

Maybe it's nothing, but I drove by the old Bombardier factory in New West a little while ago and noticed that all the old clothing manufacturer (mac and jac) signs had been taken down, and equipment was being removed. Maybe Bombardier is coming back?

(Added by red-paladin: It would only make sense to use that building and reconnect the tracks, but who knows.)
Sorry, I hit the wrong button when I was sleep-posting last night! Please forgive me!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:41 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Bombardier has nothing to do with the signs and equipment being removed from their old "factory". So yes, it is nothing.

As far as I know, Bombardier's involvement with the Evergreen Line would be fairly small, they are just one of the sub-contractors for the "EL Partners" group (the dominant company is some French engineering firm). Assuming EL Partners win the bid, Bombardier's role would simply be something to do with trackworks or signalling rather than the hard infrastructure or major engineering. So their role for Evergreen Line is minor compared to their role as one of the dominant companies that bid for Canada Line.

With regards to ordering new Skytrain cars which Bombardier is the default supplier, that would encompass the entire Skytrain network, not just Evergreen Line. Its really wishful thinking at this point that Bombardier would revive that old "factory". That project to make it a manufacturing facility for Skytrain cars is dead and gone, and the legacy that we're stuck with it is the fact that the earliest the Northeast Sector would get rapid transit is 2016 instead of 2002...

Last edited by queetz@home; Apr 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:45 PM

Does anyone know who will be supplying the Rolling stock for the Evergreen Line

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:49 PM

It more of less has to be Bombardier

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:56 PM

The result of the RFEOI haven't posted.. but it got multiple inqueries before the deadline. It is possible that Bombardier made both inqueries though...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Don't make me drool Bombardier coming back, we can only hope. We will need them through 2026 (Evergreen Line, second 28-car order and also MarK I replacements in early-mid 2020's).
We can also contract them for the MkI rehab. After the old MkI replacement, there will also be a rehab for '94-'95 MkIs and their replacement in mid 2020's/early-mid 2030s.. and then the rehab of old MkIIs in early 2030s and their replacement in early 2040s. Not to mention the possible expansion of 150~200 vehicles before 2041, and new vehicle requirement for the possible Broadway line.....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:06 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It more of less has to be Bombardier
False.

See: E-mail response from Bombardier staff
Quote:
In response to your questions, please find the following answers.

The SkyTrain uses side contact. The SkyTrain has both third rail and fourth rail for power collection. The fourth rail is used for current return as opposed to using running rail as return. The fourth rail is used to avoid current corrosion. The power collector assembly on the bogie makes contact with the third and fourth rail at the same time. ART can also be designed to use only third rail. AirTrain JFK in New York uses only third rail.

ART is NOT proprietary. Another manufacturer can make a train that could run on SkyTrain tracks. It is correct that we faced strong competition from Rotem and Kawasaki for the KL expansion project. They offered trains that could run on the existing KL infrastructure. KL also has the same fourth rail arrangement as SkyTrain.

Thank your for your interest in our product.

Kathryn Nickerson

Bombardier Transportation
SYSTEMS
Communications
Kathryn Nickerson
P.O. Box 220, Stn. A
Kingston, ON Canada K7M 6R2
Tel: +1 613 384-3103 ext. 4217
Fax: +1 613 634-5321

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:55 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Maybe they were just blocking someone's view?
its for the widening of NORTH ROAD

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
False.
Thanks for the douchey response, that's why I said it more or less has to be bombardier, not it absolutely has to be bombardier...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
all the trees along north road at lougheed mall have been cut down - i don't know if its evergreen related or part of the malls plans for towers
Since the tracks are to be elevated in the middle of North Road (between the southbound and northbound lanes) perhaps the southbound lanes of North Road have to be 'shoved over' (shifted westwards) to make room for the Skytrain median?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
We can also contract them for the MkI rehab. After the old MkI replacement, there will also be a rehab for '94-'95 MkIs and their replacement in mid 2020's/early-mid 2030s.. and then the rehab of old MkIIs in early 2030s and their replacement in early 2040s. Not to mention the possible expansion of 150~200 vehicles before 2041, and new vehicle requirement for the possible Broadway line.....
also .... Translink could buy the Scarborough RT cars dirt-cheap after 2015 and refurb them too. I doubt the SRT cars have the same mileage as the original MK I cars even though they are the same vintage.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:47 PM

^I'm gonna assume you've never ridden the Scarborough RT before. Those trains are in terrible shape. I don't think rehabbing them would be economical.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:

If I'm remembering correctly, that building was built by the Clark (NDP) government as a deal sweetener for Bombardier to do some assembly of the MK II cars in BC. The hope was that Bombardier would be building a lot of new ALRT systems in Asia, so after the MK II car order was finished for Translink, BC would then get some of the assembly work before Bombardier shipped more ALRT cars overseas to their new Asian clients.

You'll notice the sticker on some MK II cars says "Built in BC" even though the cars were mostly built in the Bombardier plant in in Thunder Bay, Ontario and only the final assembly & finishing was done in BC.

As soon as the Translink order was completed, Bombardier vacated & the BC Gov't was left with an empty building.

I've been saying for years that the building would be an ideal space for rehabbing the MK I cars to give them a few more decades of service.

Alternatively, the building could be knocked over & have the land re-used as more storage space for trains.

The bridge over Southridge Dr is still there, as is the connector tracks from Edmonds OMC, so access to this site is relatively easy.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...02747&t=k&z=19

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
^I'm gonna assume you've never ridden the Scarborough RT before. Those trains are in terrible shape. I don't think rehabbing them would be economical.
if we get them as 'scrap value' the cost for rehabbing them would still be cheaper than buying new MK III cars.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 12:27 AM

Just use them for spare parts so we can put more of ours in active service.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
its for the widening of NORTH ROAD
ah - i wondered - most of them are pretty much gone now from the station platform u can get a clear view of church's chicken

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure