HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Warren View Post
I Bank Tower to Get A Facelift

Memphis Daily News

The best thing they could do is remove that ugly sign from the top of it.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Warren View Post
The City Should push for Freds to relocate it's Headquarters Downtwn

That is good news about them trying to get a Hard Rock Hotel it will get us a little bit closer to hosting big events like an NBA All-Star Game. But they should push for Fred's Dollar Store inc. to move Downtown. I could see them building something near 10 stories like their current HQ that's hidden in the Industrial Area. We could have something like the Krogers Building in Cincinnati.

Krogers Building in Cincinnati
I toured the Fred's building a few years back with a friend that worked there. That taller building is about 40% full. Fred's does not believe in spending any money at all. Once you walk into their HQ it's a time-warp back to the mid 1960s. They won't move... no chance at all.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 4:20 PM

Blues Hall of Fame breaks ground today

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 7:09 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I had to go out east today so I ran by the new International Paper tower currently under construction. It's a bit further away from the other towers that what I originally thought it would be. I haven't been out there in at least 5 or so months so this is the first time I've seen it under construction other than when they were doing foundation work.

Last edited by arkitekte; May 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I had to go out eat today so I ran by the new International Paper tower currently under construction. It's a bit further away from the other towers that what I originally thought it would be. I haven't been out there in at least 5 or so months so this is the first time I've seen it under construction other than when they were doing foundation work.
I've seen the new building as well, and it looks to be coming together nicely despite it being the furthest away from the rest of the buildings in that complex. I guess that was to be expected considering the former Cozymel's site is supposed to be redeveloped in the future, although no final plans have been released yet.

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooper_rebel View Post
The best thing they could do is remove that ugly sign from the top of it.
No way. The iconic Independent Bank signage has helped light up the East Memphis skyline in the evening. It looks amazing when driving through Shelby Farms next to the illuminated Clark Tower, both rising from the dense-looking foliage. It also represents a Memphis-based bank with fast rising fortunes.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 12:51 AM

i agree that the sign should stay, not because it is the most beautiful sinage in memphis or the nation, but for the reasons given, especially that it is a home-grown bank, and it is fast blooming in investments and assessments. if the present growth keeps up, you'll probably see a redesign of a new sign and how it is framed, lighted, and sized.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 12:53 AM

In a general Memphis info note, the airport has picked up some flights in the past week

Frontier is adding four weekly flights to DC

American is adding a additional daily flight to Dallas and Chicago and United is adding a daily flight to Denver.

In a bit of bad news, Southwest missed out on the two gates at Love that American had to give up. They went to Virgin America. That was how Southwest was to add Dallas directs from Memphis.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 9:12 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Speaking of the airport, here's an article from the MBJ.

Memphis airport's new budget reflects reality without Delta hub
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...s-reality.html

Quote:
Despite big bumps in rents, Memphis International Airport will cut total costs for its airlines by $3.9 million in fiscal year 2015.

The Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority is expected to vote Thursday on a $124.4 million operations and maintenance budget that includes a 68 percent increase in terminal rates and an 11 percent decrease in landing fees.

The increase in rates, from $86.31 per square foot last year to $144.78 this year, is a result of Delta Air Lines Inc. reducing its rented space after stripping Memphis of its "hub" status, according to a release today by the MSCAA.
Quote:
“This budget is another step toward reinventing the Memphis International Airport, as we transition from being a Delta hub to an origin and destination airport,” said Scott Brockman, president and CEO of MSCAA. “I am extremely proud of our team’s efforts to meet the challenges of this process, reduce overall costs and mitigate increases for our airline partners.”

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:57 AM

I went to the public meeting that was held this evening regarding the proposed new hotel at Graceland, and here were some of the details that were discussed:

- The total cost of the project is estimated to be around $70 million (all privately funded with no public money)
- The hotel will be 6 stories tall, with all 450 rooms spread across three wings (see post #2494)
- The design is similar to the mansion itself with gabled roofs, brickwork, and fencing
- Plans include a restaurant, sports lounge, meeting space, and a performance theater
- Elvis-themed suites will occupy the top floor of each wing
- The new hotel will replace the Heartbreak Hotel, which will close and be demolished upon completion

Site work is expected to start in June with an official groundbreaking slated for August during Elvis Week. If everything goes as planned, the people behind the project hope to have a grand opening of the Guest House at Graceland in August of next year.

I'll update this thread a bit later on with some links, but it's a good project, and just about everyone in the room had no objections.

EDIT: Here's the link to WHBQ's story:
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/25...#axzz31qPQByna

WREG story:
http://wreg.com/2014/05/15/whitehave...t-hotel-plans/

WMC-TV story:
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/...e-at-graceland

Last edited by James Owen; May 16, 2014 at 4:11 AM. Reason: Added links

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:52 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^Thanks for posting. Here are the images in case anyone wants to get to them quicker (Same link as James posted).

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 6:36 AM
Future God

That hotel is straight outta 1984!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 1:17 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
That hotel is straight outta 1984!
Memphis is stuck in 1984. This should finally lead to some redevelopment of Elvis Presley Blvd, at least in theory it should. It could do the exact opposite of redeveloping EPBlvd by including features that could be off site all in one. We'll see. I think that design is horrible though. Looks like a nursing home to me.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Memphis is stuck in 1984. This should finally lead to some redevelopment of Elvis Presley Blvd, at least in theory it should. It could do the exact opposite of redeveloping EPBlvd by including features that could be off site all in one. We'll see. I think that design is horrible though. Looks like a nursing home to me.
What are you talking about? That hotel looks amazing! It's retro, kept to the originality of Elvis' Graceland mansion and it's all Elvis-themed. That's what the fans want! It's much nicer than the new Dreammore resort at Dollywood which is only 300 rooms and getting a lot of tention.

The Guest House at Graceland looks a lot like one of those new Disney themed resorts in Kissimee, Florida. I'm actually glad that they went this way and not a tower convention hotel. This fits the residential style neighborhood much better and will still bring conventions to the area.

Sounds like everyone there approved it. Should be approved by city council within days so there shouldn't be any hold ups on construction since it's all privately funded by Graceland..

Last edited by Huntsvillenative; May 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 10:10 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
What are you talking about? That hotel looks amazing! It's retro, kept to the originality of Elvis' Graceland mansion and it's all Elvis-themed. That's what the fans want! It's much nicer than the new Dreammore resort at Dollywood which is only 300 rooms and getting a lot of tention.
Other than who lived there, Graceland isn't anything to brag about architecturally, IMO. It's the fact that this looks like an over sized Graceland all of the way down to the fake chimneys on each side of the main section of the tower that makes it ugly. The setback of the main tower that doesn't share the same scale as the base which looks like a drop off at the country club or nursing home isn't very appealing either. They're trying to recreate an older feel, but if they're trying to ball on a budget that might come out looking extremely cheesy.

I also don't understand the constant comparisons of a proposal at Graceland which should attempt to be slightly urban to something at Dollywood.

Quote:
The Guest House at Graceland looks a lot like one of those new Disney themed resorts in Kissimee, Florida. I'm actually glad that they went this way and not a tower convention hotel. This fits the residential style neighborhood much better and will still bring conventions to the area.

Sounds like everyone there approved it. Should be approved by city council within days so there shouldn't be any hold ups on construction since it's all privately funded by Graceland..
The fact that this looks like something from a Disney resort is one reason why I think it's ugly. There's a lot that could have been done to avoid looking like a typical cheaply built hotel tower while still complementing the surrounding residential area.

The fact that it is all privately funded by Graceland would assure that the City doesn't have any say in it's layout, design, etc. That's what Graceland wanted to make sure exactly what they wanted was done. City officials know they don't have a voice in the matter, therefore, it's either all agree or risk not having a new development take place that you can brag about. Don't think that everyone sat down there overjoyed over that design.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 10:53 PM

Graceland

People going to this hotel are going to want the full consumer experience so the reinforced Graceland features are necessary. The more like Disneyland features the better. This is totally a "feelings" experience. With regard to the actual embellishments, I am sure they will be softened up and appear more as accents but it is pretty clear they wanted to get this out ASAP. The tree shadows don't even line up properly.

Alternatives:

1. It could have 3 rungs of barbed wire and a security gate with flood lights.

2. It could stay as is.

Ya development!

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Other than who lived there, Graceland isn't anything to brag about architecturally, IMO. It's the fact that this looks like an over sized Graceland all of the way down to the fake chimneys on each side of the main section of the tower that makes it ugly. The setback of the main tower that doesn't share the same scale as the base which looks like a drop off at the country club or nursing home isn't very appealing either. They're trying to recreate an older feel, but if they're trying to ball on a budget that might come out looking extremely cheesy.
Well, to be fair, the people behind this project, Hnedak Bobo, have done other hotels in the past including the Westin across the street from FedExForum as well as the Gaylord resorts in Florida and Texas, so we should not expect a less than high quality job to be done with that big of a price tag. It's also why I brought up the Veranda and Terrace hotels in Tunica on the soon-to-close Harrah's property when the Graceland project was first announced, as there are similarities that can be made between the two.

Quote:
I also don't understand the constant comparisons of a proposal at Graceland which should attempt to be slightly urban to something at Dollywood.
The part of town in question is more suburban than it is urban, but I get what you are saying. There was talk during the meeting last night of a new community overlay zone being proposed that would require uniform standards for all new buildings being constructed along Elvis Presley Blvd, but there's not too much I know about it at the moment other than the ongoing streetscape improvements in the works.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:

The fact that this looks like something from a Disney resort is one reason why I think it's ugly. There's a lot that could have been done to avoid looking like a typical cheaply built hotel tower while still complementing the surrounding residential area.

The fact that it is all privately funded by Graceland would assure that the City doesn't have any say in it's layout, design, etc. That's what Graceland wanted to make sure exactly what they wanted was done. City officials know they don't have a voice in the matter, therefore, it's either all agree or risk not having a new development take place that you can brag about. Don't think that everyone sat down there overjoyed over that design.
It's supposed to look like a bigger version of Graceland. The whole entire hotel will be all Elvis/Graceland-themed. It's not for business leaders or convention goers who aren't Elvis fans. It's for the fans who wanna take in the ultimate Elvis experience. Like I said, it's no different than a Disney resort or the new Dollywood's Dreammore. Actually bigger! And there's nothing "cheezy" about it.

The reason it's only 6 stories is due to its location. EPE probably felt that if it were any taller then residents wouldn't have liked it and possibly tried to delay or block it. This way, they now can go through with construction plans and have it opened in time for Elvis week 2015.

Look at it this way, it's a massive upgrade to the horrible looking and much smaller Heartbreak Hotel that they have now.

This is EPE's money being spent so the city crooks have no say in how it looks nor should they. Having it look more like a larger version of the home that will cater to those who visit Graceland, instead of just another typical tall tower conventional hotel, will be more appealing this way and bring more business to that part of town that never goes there now. That hotel will open closed doors that Whitehaven has never seen opened before. It's already being reported that a possibl upscale movie theater is headed to the nearby area now, and outside investors are interested in developing in that area.

And because it's in a TDZ (Tourist destination zone) the city will get money back on tax incentives for future developments that are publicly and/or privately funded.

Bottom line, this hotel is for ELVIS FANS not Memphis residents. If the fans like it, and I'm sure they will (especially the younger fans), then that's all that EPE cares about, which they should. It's not EPE's responsibility fix or clean up a part of town that the city for years neglected. Hell, as it is, most Memphians don't even care about Elvis nor go to Graceland. But they still want the money it generates.

Now I know why Elvis recorded the song 'Stranger In My Own Home Town'.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
People going to this hotel are going to want the full consumer experience so the reinforced Graceland features are necessary. The more like Disneyland features the better. This is totally a "feelings" experience. With regard to the actual embellishments, I am sure they will be softened up and appear more as accents but it is pretty clear they wanted to get this out ASAP. The tree shadows don't even line up properly.

Alternatives:

1. It could have 3 rungs of barbed wire and a security gate with flood lights.

2. It could stay as is.

Ya development!
On the site layout map, it says there will be a privacy fence separating the residential and hotel property. So it could be anything from a big 8 ft tall wall or covered fence which would give both properties their privacy.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:56 PM

There are some really big things about to happen in Memphis. Yet, some Memphians find fault and complain about them. First up, the Pyramid-Bass Pro Shop attraction opening in November. At first, it wasn't all that appealing. But since they unveiled the full scale of the project through renderings of what the interior will look like and what all it will feature, including the observation decks, it is gonna be one of the biggest, if not THE biggest attraction in Memphis! It's gonna have an aquarium, a fish-themed bowling alley, restaurants, retail shops and a hotel.

Then there's the new Guest House at Graceland resort opening next summer, part of a multi-year expansion redevelopment project. That, along with the Pyramid attraction, will bring in a lot more tourism and revenue to the city that it is desperately seeking now. Possibly doubling tourism.

Then there's the push for a Hard Rock Hotel downtown on Beale and the relocation of the new Hard Rock Cafe and the long awaited Memphis Music Hall Of Fame museum. Aside from that is the development of the multi-million dollar Blues Hall Of Fame.

Next up, the redevelopment of the Memphis fairgrounds with retail, restaurants, a hotel, and a world class sports complex. Also a 5,000 seat arena to replace the Mid-South Coliseum.

So Memphians, instead of looking for the bad, try to appreciate and enjoy the good that's soon to come.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations