HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:26 AM
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.

Love it! That architect needs to do some work for Dan Gilbert of Quicken Loans in Detroit. I would like very much please to see something like the Walnut Street elevation in Detroit's CBD.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:28 AM
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.

(First page rendering)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:15 PM

Hey Southern Land Company,
The corner of the lot is beginning to look like a Vietnamese jungle ...need me to run over there with a weedwacker?!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:36 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Any updates on this?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:20 PM

^^Still no CDR submission. This is getting less and less likely from happening every month.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:06 PM

^ How a site like this does not happen, or how the Harper gets an amputation, in this area is beyond me.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^Still no CDR submission. This is getting less and less likely from happening every month.
So frustrating. I walk by every so often. Doesn't seem to be too much abatement going on with the two abandoned buildings at this point either.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 2:25 PM

I think that this is more likely to happen, than say, SLS.
There are a multitude of reasons as to why this hasn't started, not all of which are necessarily bad. I think that I'd rather have this break ground in 2018 than have it be rushed now and fall into the same pitfalls that the W fell into.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Oh man, can I ask why there is a chance that this might not happen? Do you think internally they are moving away from the project for whatever reason?

You would think this is a prime spot to build... I dont get it

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieStevens View Post
Oh man, can I ask why there is a chance that this might not happen? Do you think internally they are moving away from the project for whatever reason?

You would think this is a prime spot to build... I dont get it
The longer it takes to get shovels in the ground, the less likely it is from happening.... for a multitude of reasons, like for instance, another recession. It still has a chance of happening, but the longer it takes for them to get to work, the less likely it will happen.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
The longer it takes to get shovels in the ground, the less likely it is from happening.... for a multitude of reasons, like for instance, another recession. It still has a chance of happening, but the longer it takes for them to get to work, the less likely it will happen.
and another one bites the dust .....

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
I can't recall what their financing situation is if it's been made public at all. Is this financed?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I can't recall what their financing situation is if it's been made public at all. Is this financed?
Most/many condo financing packages include having a certain amount of pre-sold units on the books with deposits taken. Since this is a mixed use building I have no idea if and how that changes the deal.
But I am very surprised that apparently there hasn't been any effort to set up a sales office.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
I think that it's important to note that this isn't necessarily always going to be true. There won't always be a recession, and as we've seen with such buildings as Chinatown Tower, they can get built eventually.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:52 PM

I didn't have much hope for SLS, but I would be pretty upset if this one doesn't come to fruition. They followed all of the rules, they dealt with the NIMBYs, the plan preserved the facades of some defunct historical buildings, and they put together a beautiful rendering that would have added to both the skyline and the streetscape in an elegant way. I believe this was Southern Land's first attempt to build in the city...and if this doesn't work out it may be their last.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I didn't have much hope for SLS, but I would be pretty upset if this one doesn't come to fruition. They followed all of the rules, they dealt with the NIMBYs, the plan preserved the facades of some defunct historical buildings, and they put together a beautiful rendering that would have added to both the skyline and the streetscape in an elegant way. I believe this was Southern Land's first attempt to build in the city...and if this doesn't work out it may be their last.
Southern Land did 3601 Market.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Southern Land did 3601 Market.
You're right, looks like they did. Still, I'll be butthurt if this one doesn't work out.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Frankly, I don't think the City hold much blame in this particular case. SLC knew what it was dealing with as far as protected structures, and honestly, it's final compromise proposal is probably what it should have lead with out of the gate. If it head, it may have broken ground by now.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:54 PM

As I've been saying from the beginning, this is a suburban developer from the south with almost no experience in any city, let alone Philadelphia. Their one project in Philly was a dud that looks nothing like the renderings.

So of course they were allowed to start tearing down buildings.

Best case scenario would be for them to sell the property to someone who can get things done.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:56 PM

Calling it now, it'll be on the next CDR submission.
I will be so mad if this doesn't get done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive