HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 7:28 AM
BANNED

yeah USA always sucks.....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 8:13 AM

wat?? i would have actually said usa did better than canada(excuse the blesphemy). maybe it was just the location; i watched canada at kits beach and usa at english bay.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 8:18 AM

Then it's possible that if i had watched Canada, i would have given it an even lower rating. I didn't like USA, the song choice was terrible.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 8:30 AM
Vancouver Moderator

^ i think you're just spoiled by Hong Kong fireworks =P

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 8:37 AM

USA they sure did bad...
I watched the sky light-up from Gastown when Canada showed its stuff last Wednesday it was quite awesome.
Well next China, it gets so crazy every year, that I only go to the last show!
anyone care to share photos!
Cheers and thanks

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 8:02 PM

china is suppossed to go all out this year for the olympics preview or something

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
china is suppossed to go all out this year for the olympics preview or something
They tested their entire fireworks sequence about eight times, each time costing more than a million dollars.

Their opening/closing ceremonies, like Athens, are expected to cost about $100-million. In comparison, Vancouver's will be $40-million....which is also what Torino, Salt Lake, and Sydney spent.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 2:40 AM
In Love With YVRthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravman View Post
yeah USA always sucks.....
Funny, since this was their inaugural year. . .

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:14 AM

For newbies, the United States did pretty well

News1130 Photo

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The United States has wrapped up its first time ever taking part in the Celebration of Light fireworks festival. The weather held up, the crowd seemed tame and the tens of thousands lining English Bay seemed to be pleased with the show. The USA's first foray into the Celebration of Light got mostly rave reviews.

Sometimes where they lacked in finesse, the US made up for it in the way they always do. The bigger the better. China is next up on Wednesday, with the finale on Saturday.

To make your opinion known, you can rate the performance by texting. Scores will be tallied and one country will be given the "BC Hydro Power Smart People’s Choice" award. For more information on how to send your rating click here.

The Vancouver police are starting to notice a change in behaviour in fireworks crowds, a change for the better! Constable Tim Fanning says the number of arrests is way down.

"We had a lot more weapons seized in the past, a lot more fights. We've only had two reported fights, four arrests, 200 liquor seizure pour outs, so that's dramatically down from years gone by."

He says the smaller crowd could be blamed on the Pemberton music festival, but he also feels the fireworks night is turning into more of a family affair.

http://www.news1130.com/news/topstor...727_025116_436

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
lineup outside Waterfront Station after the fireworks:

Those photos are brutal. I couldn't ever imagine anyone having the patience for anything like that!

Some people took in the fireworks Wednesday night casually by having early evening cocktails at the Westin Bayshore, then taking the neighbouring Harbour Cruise dinner boat to English Bay and returning by staying overnight at the Bayshore.

Even on Saturday night, some people held a dinner party along Beach Ave. and then watched the fireworks from the open grassland of Sunset Beach.

Very relaxing, very entertaining and hassle free.

The Godzilla music Wednesday night kinda sucked as opposed to Saturday night's musical theme. Nevertheless, both visual shows were exemplary from different locales.

BTW, Cypress Bowl is also another interesting venue to catch the fireworks show hassle free.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:42 AM

Some really crappy pictures from a really crappy camera at a really nice location:

This is what the Bay's gate at the Granville SkyTrain entrance looks like when it is closed.

From the penthouse/40th floor of the Empire Landmark Hotel:

This is Burrard Station......a 5 people thick and 120-metres long grew in less than five minutes. When I left, the lineup was still growing.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 5:15 AM
Vancouver Moderator

what a great view! =)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:55 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
This is Burrard Station......a 5 people thick and 120-metres long grew in less than five minutes. When I left, the lineup was still growing.
Good to know Mr.X2 I'm planning on going this Wednesday.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
Good to know Mr.X2 I'm planning on going this Wednesday.
I suggest that you make it to Burrard Station by 10.40.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 8:19 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
I suggest that you make it to Burrard Station by 10.40.
That's about the time we were there last wednesday... but at our destination, (parked near Nanaimo) we watched the next few trains go past... most weren't that full... I know quite a few get off at Commercial, mind you.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:09 PM

back in the day we used to watch than hang out at the clubs until about 2 am so lineups were never a problem

now i just avoid all together

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:24 PM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Those photos are brutal. I couldn't ever imagine anyone having the patience for anything like that!
Well, when people have nothing better to do with their time, what do you expect? It's embarassing that the biggest event in Vancouver is fireworks and that people plan an entire evening around them. Vancouver has sunken to a new low (or, rather, Vancouverites have sunken to a new low, because it's the people, such as they are, that make a city what it is). Sigh.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Well, when people have nothing better to do with their time, what do you expect? It's embarassing that the biggest event in Vancouver is fireworks and that people plan an entire evening around them. Vancouver has sunken to a new low (or, rather, Vancouverites have sunken to a new low, because it's the people, such as they are, that make a city what it is). Sigh.
Imagine the horror if we lost the fireworks.....and we nearly did in several occasions over the past few years.

Another shot by someone else of the lineup outside Burrard Station after Saturday's show:

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
wow... they're just fireworks. people enjoy them. it's not the end of the world nor is it some yardstick on which to measure our city's true value... god... the city's main flaws are mostly pissy, whiney people like you.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 12:11 AM

We need:

1) a real amusement park
2) a zoo, using the model of the San Diego Zoo and Vancouver Aquarium
3) a real New Years Eve celebration that really rocks
4) more summer festivals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment