HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:50 PM

Has anyone seen if Shelby's bar has been razed ?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:52 PM

This is an interesting article on the future Marriott hotel near the Colorado Convention Center. apparently, they expect to break ground in early 2020. Regarding Shelby's, I saw a banner on site with information related to the demolition company but the building is still there.

https://milehighcre.com/stantec-sele...wntown-denver/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:16 PM
[sub]urbanite

SEC 18th & Champa

Drove by the ol' parking lot at 18th/Champa today and equipment was on-site removing the asphalt. Can't remember what project was supposed to go here, a hotel? Anybody know what's happening?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Drove by the ol' parking lot at 18th/Champa today and equipment was on-site removing the asphalt. Can't remember what project was supposed to go here, a hotel? Anybody know what's happening?
yet another hotel!

https://businessden.com/2018/06/19/r...owntown-hotel/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:57 PM

^ Cool another piece of density for the Denver urban fabric-btw I think this is on the parking lot on the west side of the Ghost Building (parked there a time or two if I didn’t use RTD back when I worked at the Denver Census office in the One Denver Place North Tower).

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Here is the approved site plan if you are interested:

https://www.denvergov.org/media/gis/...2019123584.pdf

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Regarding Golden Triangle, I think the neighborhood could highly benefit from a protected bike lane on Bannock or Delaware. I'm not sure that there is quite enough room but that would frankly be the fastest way to commute in and out of the CBD. Plus, Bannock is becoming a very dense residential corridor with recently completed projects such as Parq on Speer and the three or four other comparably-sized projects in the pipeline.
I used to live in GT and biked into downtown on the Cherry Creek trail. Judging by all the bike commuters I used to see in the mornings and evenings lots of others did too.

I agree though Bannock would benefit from a protected bike lane. The existing lanes get lots of use.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:19 AM

I wish GT would do something to get some diversity in their buildings rooftops. Is there any thing the city can do to motivate developments that don't have flat roofs like allowing for bonus height for a crown?

Or is this that all just an extra expense that developers don't want to pay out on?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:45 PM

I'm confused as to where the Marriott is going. The renderings clearly show it on the same block as the Spire. However the address I've seen listed is 727 14th St, one block over. Anyone know what gives?
https://businessden.com/2019/10/18/n...ention-center/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:46 PM

Duplicate

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:27 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
I wish GT would do something to get some diversity in their buildings rooftops. Is there any thing the city can do to motivate developments that don't have flat roofs like allowing for bonus height for a crown?

Or is this that all just an extra expense that developers don't want to pay out on?
You'd be hard pressed to find many residential buildings with crowned rooflines anywhere in the world. Only the fanciest of the fancy.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:30 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
It's always easy to find a spot down there despite the towers everywhere. Why? So strange.
Because those are all new buildings that were built with parking. Which, shockingly, reduces the pressure on on-street spaces.

Blasphemy, I know.

Okay, exorcism complete. Back to the progressive urbanist party line. IF YOU DO NOT BUILD NEW PARKING THE CARS WILL DISAPPEAR AND PEOPLE WILL USE ALTERNATIVE MODES. NO NEW PARKING!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:52 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find many residential buildings with crowned rooflines anywhere in the world. Only the fanciest of the fancy.
If I correctly recall, Four Seasons was supposed to have had somewhat of a crown before it got value engineered. Anyone still have an old rendering of the pre-VE concept? But for the tanking housing market at the time, Four Seasons might have snuck a crown in...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:03 PM

I'll take more housing inventory over inspired architecture. However, I do feel that future generations will not look back at this period with much awe over the architectural achievements, aside from a few projects. Most of the projects are heavily value engineered. With Golden Triangle, I would love to see some more of that Gothic/Baroque-styled (whatever you call it) architecture like you see in buildings such as the Beauvallon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:32 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
With Golden Triangle, I would love to see some more of that Gothic/Baroque-styled (whatever you call it) architecture like you see in buildings such as the Beauvallon.
Really??? More Nassi-tecture? Said nobody ever!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Really??? More Nassi-tecture? Said nobody ever!
I like his projects but I just recently returned from my honeymoon in Italy so maybe my interest in that European-style is temporarily elevated. I'll take the Belvedere over Civic Lofts every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the city can counter this by allowing for bonus height if the developers invested in a crown/additional set backs ect.

In that survey, I didn't see any initiative to promote better design. Pretty disappointing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 8:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
Yes, but the city can counter this by allowing for bonus height if the developers invested in a crown/additional set backs ect.

In that survey, I didn't see any initiative to promote better design. Pretty disappointing.
I don’t necessarily think a crown on a residential building is what we need to have better design around here. And if we are going to give density bonuses, frankly, getting affordable housing for them is more important.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:33 AM

I find it interesting that the majority of the skyscrapers in Sacramento have crowns. Their skyline isn’t nearly as large as Denver’s and none of the buildings are very tall, like 30 stories maximum. None of the Sacramento buildings seem to be particularly high budget. Maybe some of them are state government buildings and there is a requirement that they have some kind of interesting top?

Last edited by corey; Oct 19, 2019 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 3:17 AM

^ That’s very true although however with work just getting underway on the downtown Sacramento rail yards project that could bring a big change. Kinda interesting Sacramento’s downtown reminds me a bit of what Denver’s downtown was like back in the 70s when I was in high school. Sacto’s tallest is Wells Fargo at 30 stories and 434 ft with a postmodern design-there was a recent plan for a 35 floor 557 ft office project but it got stalled (Hines looks to be taking this one over).

Last edited by CastleScott; Oct 19, 2019 at 3:29 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West