HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 1:18 AM
User Registered

The problem I have with burying a LRT line underground is a huge loss of potential for a huge sum of money.

Does anyone know if the Eglinton LRT underground line is designed for a future conversion to Subways (RT)? If so then it makes a little more sense, but if you're going through the trouble of putting it underground you may as well just make it a subway now.

I know a bit about Transit City and to me it makes sense to keep Eglinton mostly above ground for two reasons.
1. Cost. With Toronto and Ontario both cash-strapped, going with surface LRT means more funding is available for other projects like the Finch LRT line and extending the Shepard Subway.
2. There's right of way. The LRT line can simply run in the old right of way reserved for the canceled (Richview?) expressway. It won't take up any additional room or travel lanes, the one section where it would is planned to go underground anyway.

End rant. At least Toronto has several plans for their transit... I live in a town where buses come every 30 mins on average and there's not even a vision for LRT.

My Simcity Stuff

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto