HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Holland Parkside I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 9:47 PM

I don't know BC is expected to weather this ok

and Surrey is growing like crazy and can probably make it

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'm very pessimestic as well, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 10:33 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I really hope Metro vancouver really sells itself hard to the international business community during the olympics. there is no reason for us to have so few head offices as of now. You would think being such a major port and pacific gateway we would at least have major shipping/trading company head offices. hopefully we continue to gather more strength from the technology sector.
part of the reason...and akin to why seattle or LA doesnt have a major HQ presence is the time zone... no lie. You are starting work when the major markets in NA are eating lunch and you are coming back from lunch when the markets close. You are too early for asian markets.

it isnt the entire reason, but a key reason IMO

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
part of the reason...and akin to why seattle or LA doesnt have a major HQ presence is the time zone... no lie. You are starting work when the major markets in NA are eating lunch and you are coming back from lunch when the markets close. You are too early for asian markets.

it isnt the entire reason, but a key reason IMO
yeah i think so too

I know my companies head office is in toronto and so much has to be done here to meet their time deadlines so after they shut office for the night which is like 2 pm local vancouver you're out of luck till the next day so makes for a relaxed afternoon but rushed mornings

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 3:41 AM

this development really altered their structure based on the market, going rom 50 floors to 41 floors, really trying to skimp on the material costs. The good thing is the new collector road, 98A will be built with phase 1, thereby creating the new future link with east whalley ring road through the current days inn site. This will be a major intersection in the future.

re; the market, they really timed it bad. I don't think they will built the entire 3 phases in a hurry. They are now going to have to sell these condos within the next 20 months and then start construction in 4 months, or they are going to have to go back for approval. In that time frame I do not believe they will face a favourable development market.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I don't know BC is expected to weather this ok

and Surrey is growing like crazy and can probably make it
BC being expected to weather the storm...thats funny talk....BC will suffer like everyone else, and at this point it will be falling from a higher point then many others.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 10:37 PM

Western Canada is actually expected to weather the storm better than eastern canada or the united states. Of course we will be affected, as is the entire world, but BC has significantly increased its trading with non US markets in the last few years and unlike eastern canada, western Canada's economy is not dependent on manufacturing like it is in Ontario, where even a slow down in the car industry spells big trouble.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 10:42 PM

BC will get hit by the issues simply due to the travel industry. We get a lot of visitors from the US and if their economy is struggling and gas prices are high, they are less inclined to come up here. I'm sure after the numbers are in this Winter, Whistler will note a drop of some sort traveler wise. How much that drop is will be pure speculation in the short term, but I would be surprised if we don't get affected in some way due to that.

We will be hit less hard compared with the East though that's for sure. But anyonen that thinks BC won't be affected is crazy. I do however agree that we will most likely weather the storm fine in the end.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
this development really altered their structure based on the market, going rom 50 floors to 41 floors, really trying to skimp on the material costs. The good thing is the new collector road, 98A will be built with phase 1, thereby creating the new future link with east whalley ring road through the current days inn site. This will be a major intersection in the future.

re; the market, they really timed it bad. I don't think they will built the entire 3 phases in a hurry. They are now going to have to sell these condos within the next 20 months and then start construction in 4 months, or they are going to have to go back for approval. In that time frame I do not believe they will face a favourable development market.
When was it ever 50 floors? When I first caught wind of this (when I made this post however long ago) the proposal was 37 floors for the tallest tower. 41 would seem to indicate they actually made the towers larger.

Maybe I wasn't privy to more top secret information you were, but I don't remember ever hearing that it would be 50 floors in this project. You may be thinking of Urban Village. /scratches head

I could be wrong though.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 7:12 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
When was it ever 50 floors? When I first caught wind of this (when I made this post however long ago) the proposal was 37 floors for the tallest tower. 41 would seem to indicate they actually made the towers larger.

Maybe I wasn't privy to more top secret information you were, but I don't remember ever hearing that it would be 50 floors in this project. You may be thinking of Urban Village. /scratches head

I could be wrong though.
I'm pretty sure that it was all just speculation. There has been rumours of 50+ floor buildings being pitched to the city. So far the only semi-confirmed one is one of the Urban Village towers (Which was brought up at the City Centre Open House). Even then, this tower is not confirmed. I'm sure they will come eventually, maybe even across from Holland Point where the Hotel currently is.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post

I could be wrong though.
if i remember correctly they proposed this about two months ago, before the public hearing, just to test the waters.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 10:32 PM

I am no longer holding my breath for any projects in Metro-Vancouver, or Canada for that matter, that is not already in the construction phase. It seems the markets are just continuing to get worse. I am really starting to loose my optimism. At least construction materials and labour will be cheeper for Gateway, Evergreen Line, streetcar and other infrastructure projects! Always a silver lining!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 11:22 PM

i don't think its going to be that dire

people still need housing and more and more are moving to BC

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 1:14 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^True, but the new condos won't have all those bells and whistles.

Witness the new Vancouverism

photo:flaveris@flickr

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:31 AM

meh things were getting too fancy

people need to be practical

I think builders should just build shells and than sell them cheap and the let the buyers finish them to their liking

as an option at least

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:39 AM

There was a prefab proposal in Surrey a few years ago. ihi or something right beside the skytrain. it seemed shady

on a related note, there were some traditional fee-simple rowhouses proposed in north van maybe five years ago with the basements unfinished. the idea was that the owner could fix it up if he wanted. city council killed it though, one of the reasons being that the owners of fee-simple rowhouses, not being bound by a strata council, would be allowed to paint the rowhouses different colours.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:43 AM

i think there was a place on seymour that let the owners o the interiors too - it was across from graceland thats only way i can remember it

waiting in line looking at all the odd rooms across the street - they were all pretty different

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 7:10 PM

That would be "Space" across from Luv-a-Fair.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:32 PM

ah yes i always got graceland and luv affair confused

lol

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 7:03 PM

Does anyone know the architect for the project? I am trying to build the design of the buildings in Sketchup for my Downtown Surrey thinger and the photo from the Leader is a tad too small to be somewhat accurate. It would help to have a few shots of the conceptual design and usually the architects boast about their projects.

The Surrey site doesn't list the arch for this project though for some reason. Hrmm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley