HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:47 PM
Site 8 Lives

It's not looking good for Shane O'Brien. What a shame -- his plus/minus is one of the best on the team, and he's the kind of gritty competitor you want during the punishing playoffs.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: SAVE SHANE O-BRIEN!!!

Sounding off from defensive depths

Deadline Deals? O'Brien wary of Wednesday as team pads back end in advance

Ben Kuzma
The Province

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

CREDIT: Jeff Vinnick file
Shane O'Brien
Shane O'Brien wanted to sound optimistic. He wanted to sound like his postal code isn't about to change and that he can plant firmer roots in Vancouver.

However, the Canucks defenceman sounded solemn prior to the NHL trade deadline Wednesday.

Maybe it's because he was a healthy scratch four times this season after figuring management wanted him to fight more. Maybe it's because he's emotional. Maybe it's because the club is still carrying eight defencemen after placing Lawrence Nycholat on waivers Monday and everybody knows something has to give.

"It's been a roller-coaster year," admitted O'Brien. "Hopefully, I can look back at it and in two or three years I'm still in this league and a top-four defenceman somewhere and playing on a good team. Maybe this was one of those things that helps you realize what kind of player you are and what you need to do -- to be mentally tough.

"It's just hard to play when you're on a short leash," added O'Brien. "It's a fast game and there are bad bounces and things are going to happen. You can't play perfect. But it's tougher when you know they have no problem taking you out of the lineup."

The Canucks are expected to move a blueliner before the deadline and have options.

Rob Davison, 28, hasn't played in nine games and has logged just 23 this season. He could be dangled for a late-round draft pick, but may not have as much market value as O'Brien.

With Ossi Vaananen, 28, claimed off waivers Friday from Philadelphia, the Canucks could land a higher pick in exchange for O'Brien, 25, who has a bigger upside and is a restricted free agent next season.

Two years ago, Tampa Bay traded Gerald Coleman and a first-round draft pick to Anaheim for O'Brien and a third-round draft pick. The Canucks could also package O'Brien with Mason Raymond in pursuit of a more name player. Then again, the Canucks could keep O'Brien, who has nine assists in 55 games, is a plus-10 and leads the club with 162 penalty minutes.

"Anybody say we're giving up on him?" asked coach Alain Vigneault. "He's trying to be a little more physical, which we need him to be. He's working on his gap control and with the puck, he's doing more [high] percentage plays."

Davison was moved from San Jose to the Islanders at the trade deadline last year for a seventh-round draft pick.

He's hopeful the Canucks will conclude you can't have enough depth and that winning 10 of the last 12 games will mean a minor move or two. Or none.

"I don't know if much is going to happen," said Davison. "We're happy with the team we have and we're a confident group. But if they're going to make a move, they're going to make a move."

Kevin Bieksa's name regularly surfaces in trade rumours because of his ability and age (27), and the cost certainty of a contract that has a salary cap hit of $3.75 million US the next two seasons. He was even rumoured in an Erik Cole swap last summer.

"I've had my name swirling around, so I've kind of learned to deal with it," said Bieksa. "As long as we keep winning in here, there shouldn't be much reason for major change. When we're on top of our game, we can play with anybody in the league."

Maybe Vigneault put it best when trying to keep the silly season in perspective. One report Monday had the Canucks supposedly chasing Ryan Smyth of Colorado, who has a $6.25 million cap hit the next three seasons.

"I like our team," said Vigneault. "But there's tons of speculation and who knows what is true and what isn't. And who knows what truth is a stretch."

bkuzma@theprovince.com

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:25 PM

#55 was the only guy who shot his mouth off during the big slump. Maybe he learned his lesson for next time...

I like him, but if any D has to go, I'd pick him.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 12:16 AM
Site 8 Lives

Someone had to say something -- to me O'Brien was a hero for standing up to bullies during practice, and then standing up to the culture of violence that is prevalent in the NHL.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:32 PM
Site 8 Lives

O'Brien had a great game last night -- a big hit and a bigger assist.

Are you O'Brien bashers sure you want to depart with him so quickly?

---
Vancouver's abundance of defencemen has O'Brien on tenterhooks
MATTHEW SEKERES
March 4, 2009
VANCOUVER -- Shane O'Brien is asked if he is happy being a Vancouver Canuck, and he pauses just long enough to make you wonder.

"Obviously, when you're winning and things are going well, that's the important thing," O'Brien said yesterday.

When it is mentioned to the Canucks' defenceman that he didn't answer the first-person part of the question, O'Brien smiled and said: "As long as we're winning, everything is fine."

The Canucks had won 10 of 12 games heading into a home game against the Minnesota Wild last night, and had grabbed hold of fifth place in the Western Conference.

General manager Mike Gillis is not expected to be a major shaker by the NHL's 3 p.m. ET deadline today because he has consistently said he doesn't want to surrender young players and draft picks. The Canucks need to rebuild a thin farm system and don't have an arsenal of assets.

Yesterday, the Canucks announced that forward Alex Burrows agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension through the 2012-13 season.

But the Canucks have defencemen.

They lost one - journeyman Lawrence Nycholat - on waivers yesterday to the Calgary Flames, but with veteran Ossi Vaananen, claimed on waivers last weekend, Vancouver has eight NHL-calibre defencemen on the roster.

That has O'Brien wondering about where he stands in management's plans.

"The uncertainty. It's started already," he said yesterday morning. "It's the bad part of the business."

O'Brien played in Tampa Bay's top four last season, averaging more than 21 minutes a game. This after beginning his career in Anaheim, behind the likes of Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer.

But in Vancouver, on a deep blueline, O'Brien is playing just 15 minutes a game. He never gets power-play time, and he barely kill penalties. And when the going gets tight late in the third period, O'Brien's shifts are infrequent.

"You want to be a guy they can trust," he said, "and judging by the way things have gone of late, they're still not sure."

One source said the Canucks are looking to move O'Brien by today's deadline, saying that Vancouver doesn't want outspoken players in the dressing room.

Unquestionably, O'Brien has been outspoken.

"He's a young defenceman, and we'll see how it ends up," Gillis said when asked about whether O'Brien is a trade candidate.

Seeking a physical upgrade over No. 6 defenceman Lukas Krajicek, the Canucks acquired O'Brien from the Lightning on the eve of the regular season. The deal required Vancouver to take on the $1.3-million contract of forward Michel Ouellet, who has played three NHL games but has spent the rest of the season with the AHL's Manitoba Moose.

Management saw O'Brien as a hulking defenceman with upside, and was eager to experiment with its player development model. If he channelled his physical play and improved his skating and conditioning, the Canucks thought they had a long-term contributor.

The 6-foot-2 defenceman reported to Vancouver weighing roughly 240 pounds, but by adhering to the team's workout and nutrition regimens, he was hovering closer to 230 six weeks into the season. He is still on the club's meal plan.

In January, the Canucks lost eight successive games, and several more heralded defencemen were struggling more than O'Brien. Still, O'Brien was benched for four games, which he was not happy about.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 8:51 PM
Site 8 Lives

The anti-O'Brien conspiracy is still on.

From today's Globe and Mail, by Matthew Sekeres...

Canucks bench O'Brien for three more games

Shane O’Brien has been punished by the Vancouver Canucks after what head coach Alain Vigneault said was a series of incidents.

O’Brien, who showed up late to Monday’s practice and was kept off the ice, will not practice or play with the team until next week. He will not make the trip to California later this week, and head coach Alain Vigneault said the defenceman’s place in the organization will be re-evaluated on Sunday.

“Obviously, there’s more to this than just yesterday’s incident,” Vigneault said Tuesday before a home game against the Phoenix Coyotes. “I’m not a rookie at this.”

Vigneault said he was not “sending any messages,” but refused to answer most questions about O’Brien’s banishment. He said O’Brien status for road games in Los Angeles and Anaheim later this week could change if the team loses defencemen to injury.

On Monday, O’Brien skated on his own well before his teammates took the ice for pre-game preparations. Cryptically, teammates suggested it was not a leisurely glide across the ice.

“He’s got a few extra pounds to lose,” forward Alex Burrows quipped.

O’Brien was not made available to the media by the Canucks, but teammates Kyle Wellwood and Darcy Hordichuk said hockey players are often late to practice. But as Hordichuk so eloquently put it, there’s a difference between being late and getting caught.

“Everybody is late once in a while, and players cover for them,” said Wellwood, adding that bathroom breaks and interviews are often cited when a coach can’t find a player at a prescribed time. “We couldn’t cover this one up.”

Canucks players are expected to arrive at GM Place one hour before practice begins. Wellwood described the team’s atmosphere as “casual” when the tardiness is measured in minutes, but said that arriving less than one hour before practice is “playing with danger.”

O’Brien showed up roughly five minutes before the Canucks hit the ice on Monday.

“It’s a fairly serious offence – missing practice – we only have to be here a few hours a day,” Wellwood added. “You don’t want it, but at the end of the day, it could be something that motivates him.”

Vigneault said O’Brien, 26, was not being suspended, suggesting that his situation is more along the lines of a healthy scratch for multiple games, and being left at home for a road trip. A message to O’Brien’s agent, Ottawa-based Larry Kelly, was not immediately returned.

O’Brien’s teammates spoke before Vigneault revealed his disciplinary measures, and most treated it as a light subject, fair game for teasing a well-liked member of the dressing room.

Hordichuk told a story from his junior days with the Western Hockey League’s Saskatoon Blades, when he ignored a midnight curfew and went deer-hunting at 3 a.m. He shot his first deer, came back to the dressing room as a conquering hero, and was immediately informed by his head coach that he was being suspended for a game.

“I think I’ve been late before, but I don’t think I’ve ever been caught,” Hordichuk said. “There’s a difference between being late and being caught.”

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:43 AM
Site 8 Lives

Hey Vancity, Phesto, and Hong Kongese - time to stop hiding and face the music. Shane O'Brien had a great series against LA, and his emotional display in Game 4 marked the turning point of the series. SOB Rocks, baby...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:45 AM

You hold this Shane O'Brien grudge for a very long time.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:36 AM
Site 8 Lives

Mark my words - the Canucks will live to regret this day. Shame on you Alain Vigneault.

O'Brien fires parting shot at Vigneault

BY IAIN MACINTYRE, VANCOUVER SUN

And in a related transaction, Tootsie's Orchid Lounge in Nashville sent the Roxy Night Club Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and a banjo player to be named later as compensation for the loss of Shane O'Brien.

The Vancouver Canucks traded O'Brien earlier Tuesday for Nashville Predator defenceman Ryan Parent. So ended O'Brien's two-year adventure in Vancouver, and so began another round of Roxy jokes involving the player.

That is how O'Brien is going to be remembered here and it's both funny and sad.

Rarely is a player publicly outed by his team for lifestyle issues and subjected to humiliation as O'Brien was last season by the Canucks.

And it's not often, also, that a capable defenceman with O'Brien's considerable upside is discarded for the benefit of both team and player.

The 27-year-old cleared waivers on Monday. The next day he cleared the air after he was traded to the Predators as the centrepiece of a four-player deal that did little for the Canucks except provide a prospect and potential salary-cap lever.

O'Brien admitted he made mistakes in Vancouver and said it was entirely his fault that he slept in and was late for practice last March after a night out. But he said his transgressions were made worse by coach Alain Vigneault.

"This whole Roxy myth - my first year in Vancouver I did hang out there a little too much," O'Brien said. "Obviously, there's a lot of things I would have done differently.

"But the thing that really made me upset is you look around an organization and there's always stuff that goes on during the year, and they try to keep it behind closed doors. With me, AV just went right to the press and buried me and that made it worse. Everything else that happens on that team, they try to keep internal. But when he had a chance to bury me in the media, he did. He never seemed to have my back. I'd by lying if I said I thought I had a chance with him from Day 1."

O'Brien, whose contract rights the Canucks retained in July with a qualifying offer of $1.6 million US, said he knew before training camp was a week old that Vigneault wasn't going to have him on the team.

"I knew I was in trouble," he said. "I wish I got a little fairer shake in camp. I only played three exhibition games, all on the road, and we flew the day of the game on two of them. And - no disrespect to the players we had in those games - but the three games I played we were nowhere near an NHL-calibre roster. It was the icing on the cake for my career here in Vancouver.

"Last year, I stepped up when we had some injuries and helped our team win the division, and I thought I played with a lot of heart in the playoffs. Every time there was an injury, I'd play well. And when [the injured player] came back, I'd go right back to the bottom of the barrel. It's tough to play in this league when you know if you have a bad night, you're going to the press box. After two years, it was still the same thing. No matter what I did, I didn't seem to stand a chance with that guy."

Almost from the beginning - he was acquired from Tampa Bay for defenceman Lukas Krajicek at the start of the 2008-09 season - O'Brien clashed with Vigneault.

He complained about being a healthy scratch his first season here, claiming Vigneault wanted him to fight more. General manager Mike Gillis forced O'Brien to publicly apologize.

Last season, Vigneault forced O'Brien into a crash conditioning program when the defenceman returned from the Olympic break eight pounds heavier, then essentially suspended him with pay a month later after his night at The Roxy.

O'Brien leaves Vancouver no more accomplished than when he arrived. He skates well for someone 6-3 and 230 pounds, willingly fights for teammates and can pass the puck. Yet, he always seemed to be clinging to his lineup spot and was a healthy scratch 16 times last season.

He goes to Nashville with minor-league forward Dan Gendur in exchange for Parent and 29-year-old Swedish rookie Jonas Andersson. The Canucks immediately waived Parent, who has two years and $1.85 million left on his contract, and are expected to assign him to minor-league Manitoba. Andersson is on a one-way $675,000 contract, but does not require waivers to go between the NHL and American League. That could make him useful to the Canucks.

General manager Mike Gillis said O'Brien was given the chance to improve and earn playing time in Vancouver.

"He had his opportunity to come here and make the team and other players played better than him," Gillis told reporters. "We didn't go into this with any predetermined ideas.

"We thought there was a lot of upside with Shane. But we can only do so much in trying to develop players and do the best we can, and at certain points I think Shane needed to try and mature a little bit and get better."

Gillis said the team worked to find another NHL opportunity for O'Brien, who said he was grateful.

"That dressing room is full of great guys," O'Brien said. "The organization is first class all the way. Fans in Vancouver were great to me. But if you're being realistic, there was never any chance I was going to move up [the depth chart] as long as the coaching staff stayed intact. I think it was time for a change."

O'Brien is awaiting documentation required to work in the U.S. and hopes to travel to Nashville Thursday or Friday. The Predators open their season Saturday.

Vigneault won't miss O'Brien. Trading him is better for Vigneault than quitting smoking. The Canucks, however, may miss O'Brien's toughness. The Roxy will miss the publicity.

imacintyre@vancouversun.com

www.twitter.com/imacVanSun

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 6:02 AM

Sad...he was absolutely stellar last playoffs, and he seemed like the only guy on D who actually wanted to win against the Hawks. It looks like the Canucks will have a much stronger defense this time around, so maybe we won't miss him much...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 2:12 PM
loafing in lotusland

Ah, but Rusty Gull will miss him.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:02 PM
Vancouverite

I liked SOB, but its a salary cap league, and with the canucks situation he made too much.

Hopefully he does well in Nashville!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation