HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
These two photographs really show the immensity of Park La Brea.

Below: Park La Brea in 1954.

ucla archive

Below: Park La Brea in 1954.

ucla archive

Something doesn't look right.........is one of these photos flipped? Help.
(Corrected, thanks to GaylordWilshire)

Park La Brea construction images from the building formerly known as Prudential. Source dates photos "1952." Unclear how accurate this is since photos are also labeled a General Motors club meeting and in addition to these photos and some LA Transportation/GM-related personalities, there is also included a factory assembly line for what appears to be Dodge (bottom). http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/58321/rec/38

Oh Oh Ohrbachs!

Everyone's favorite Hollywood Gasometer near Formosa and Santa Monica. Unclear if there is an observation platform (possibly using the Angel's FL tower as inspiration) or if the platform is part of the PL Tower project. (A dock for WigWag's dirigible Boy Scout project? What a merit badge! ) Although the function is not immediately clear (to me) I suspect it is part of the construction project since several of these platforms appear amongst the towers.

Park La Brea - Dodge Assembly Line

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:00 PM

Here's today's Julius Shulman post. It's "Job 2748: Louis Shoall Miller, Long Beach Public Library, Ruth Bach Branch (Long Beach, Calif.), 1959". The set contains shots of the exterior from several angles, but I think this one will suffice.

Through the windows you can see Rose's Department Store at 4142 Viking Way. As far as I can tell, it opened in 1957.

I hardly showed any books in my recent post on the Millikan Library, so I'm putting that right this time around.

There's a large sign across the street for "Paul's".

Just like the Azusa Public Library, there was an outdoor reading area.

I'm guessing that this room was used for some kind of talks, but the blackboard doesn't give any clews () to the subject.

All from Getty Research Institute

The building, now the Ruth Bach Neighborhood Library, is still standing at 4055 N Bellflower Boulevard, Long Beach. The same can't be said for any of the buildings seen through the windows.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:40 PM

Watts is an area rarely explored on NLA, yet the archives offer some fascinating images. Sadly, many of the images deal with earthquake and riot damage, so it is quickly becoming a world that few remember.

1920 - Front Yard Wedding
Quote:
A crowd gathers for John and Helen's wedding in the front yard of the groom's family home on 111th Street near Compton Avenue in Watts
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00001/00001694.jpg

Watt's Library 1928
Quote:
View of the exterior of the Watts Branch Library of the Los Angeles Public Library, 9901 Grandee Street. The Classical Revival style library was built with a grant from Andrew Carnegie and designed by architect Elmore Jeffery. It served as a public library from 1913-1960. It was demolished in the 1970s.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00086/00086128.jpg

Watt's Library 1928
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics40/00039869.jpg

1930 - Home under construction
Quote:
Exterior of a Spanish style residence, located at 11302 Compton Avenue in Watts, captured when it was nearly completed. This home was later demolished to make room for the Nickerson Gardens public housing apartment complex, which opened in 1955
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00001/00001697.jpg

1942 - Watt's PE Depot.

Quote:
A man and two women talk near the newsstand just outside the entrance of the Pacific Electric depot in Watts, located at 1686 E. 103rd Street. A car is parked on the western side of the depot.
Quote:
From 1904-1961, this depot served the Long Beach Line of the Pacific Electric Railway Company. It was the only structure that was not damaged when businesses on 103rd Street burned during the 1965 Watts Riots. As a symbol of hope and renewal for the Watts community, it was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #36 on December 3, 1965 and was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The Community Redevelopment Agency spent $700,000 to restore the structure to its original exterior design in the 1980s. The Blue Line of the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) operates on the old Pacific Electric right of way and has a stop at the station, but the station does not serve as a passenger platform or ticket booth for riders.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00102/00102628.jpg

Quote:
Children around airplane they purchased by selling war stamps. Joan Frere, sitting in plane, sold the most.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00001/00001787.jpg

Quote:
exterior view of the C. L. Wilson family home located at 10315 Juniper Street in Watts.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00001/00001867.jpg

1950 - "Panoramic view of Vermont Avenue near Manchester showing shops and stores, including Cytron's Shoes. Area was later destroyed in the Watts Riot (1965)"]
LAPL

1960 - Largo Theater at 103rd Street

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics26/00032621.jpg
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics26/00032622.jpg

Last edited by BifRayRock; Mar 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:58 PM

Exact address for this ~1931 image is unknown. Names are easily found in the directories - yet none appear to link with the "~1657-1659" street nos., presumably somewhere in or near Watts. (See e.g., Cole's Battery and Ignition Station; T.H. Kennedy Electrics, Watt's Cafe.) http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/45389

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
BRR, well done.!!!

Is there anything Noirish members can't figure out?

odinthor collection

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

1950 - "Panoramic view of Vermont Avenue near Manchester showing shops and stores, including Cytron's Shoes. Area was later destroyed in the Watts Riot (1965)"
It seemed a shame not to remake the panoramic shot.

LAPL/LAPL/LAPL

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 9:29 PM

Thank's HossC.

Savenick's "Pay cash and save half."

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/32418

G-Men?

Last edited by BifRayRock; Mar 5, 2017 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 9:31 PM

The Gerald / Westonia / Graylow Arms / Engstrum, 1911-1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Is this the Engstrum under construction? The State Normal School appears to be in the background, and the house and the
three-story building next to it both seem to match the USC aerial above:

Sept 1911 Architect and Engineer of CA @ Internet Archive

What a wonderful photo FW! The Gerald Apartments, eh? We've only ever seen the construction of the Engstrum from a distance before:

Quote:
Another beautiful 6 x 8 glass negative on ebay for the next 5 days.

Below: Notice the Glengarry and the Maryland Apartments, as well as the State Normal School.

(detail)
I don't think the Engstrum building and demo permits have been posted. $160K to put it up and $225K to pull it down:

permits via ladbs

P.S.

Frederick Edgar Engstrum (1874-1923) is buried with other family members at Inglewood Park Cemetery:

findagrave

Swede Franz Otto Engstrum (1848-1920), Frederick's father, was president of the firm
(there was another son, Paul, who was a wastrel. Daughter Blanche was married to HW Bryson):

la herald, 1909

The works are still (sort of) there:

gsv

...and just as CBD said:

la herald, 1913

la herald 20 dec 1915

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 20, 2017 at 2:53 AM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:09 PM

Beaudry, I meant to thank you earlier for posting this fantastic photograph!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry

I never thought I'd see an image taken atop the Clark Garage facing its rooftop carwash.

There's the Fremont kittycorner across the street, the Rose Mansion behind it, the Zelda up at 4th & Grand, and across from the Zelda the little-photographed 355 S Grand,
which in the early 1920s was the birthplace of the infamous Blackburn Cult.
I believe we covered some of the elements of the 'Blackburn Cult', but I wasn't able to find the old posts.

...as a reminder.

re: Blackburn Cult

The religious group known as the Blackburn Cult, the Divine Order of the Royal Arms of the Great Eleven, or the Great Eleven Club
was started in 1922 on Bunker Hill in Downtown Los Angeles, California; and later formed a retreat in the Southern California Simi Valley.
The group's founder, May Otis Blackburn, is said to have received revelations directly from angels, and along with her daughter Ruth Wieland Rizzio
believed she was charged by the archangel Gabriel to write books revealing the mysteries of heaven and earth and life and death.

Newspaper articles from the time period reported strange rituals including the sacrifice of animals, sex scandals and attempts to resurrect a dead 16-year-old girl.
Police found the corpse of Willa Rhoads under the floor at the Rhoads' residence, wrapped in spices and salt and surrounded by the bodies of seven dead puppies.
Mr. and Mrs. Rhoads later confessed to the police that they had placed their daughter in the tomb fourteen months earlier at the suggestion of May Otis Blackburn.
The cult was also accused of killing a member in an oven, poisoning another during a "whirling dervish" ceremony, and making several other members disappear.

Digging up Willa Rhoads (and the 7 puppies) So where is this?

http://gizmodo.com/angels-made-them-...bur-1711445327

After a few googles I found out the above location is in Venice.

Here's 1094 Marco Place today.

gsv

below: In this detail, you can see that a taller and wider door has been installed.

This article mentions a copper-lined redwood 'caskets'.

You can read the rest of the article here:
https://esotericnz.wordpress.com/201...urection-cult/

I wonder if the current owners know the history of their house?

__

"Hello.....is this the owner of 1094 Marco Place?"

EVIL:

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:34 PM

re: AMBULANCE photo from 'Thru Traffic' [1935] -also known as 'Speed Devils'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Hoss & e_r, sorry to disappoint, but I couldn't find the locations involved. I'm reasonably convinced that in the second photo we're somewhere (a) on Franklin Ave. between Western and Argyle or (b) on Argyle between Franklin and Yucca or (c) On Yucca between Argyle and Vine. This was the route of PE's Western-Franklin Line. The streets are or were sufficiently narrow, and the streetcar looks like a PE 600 class car that would've been used there in 1935.

Cruising the route in the Googlemobile showed stretches of Franklin where buildings similar to those pictured still stand, but not those specific buildings. The passage of 82 years (!) has led to a great deal of newer construction, and the Argyle-Yucca portion of the route has been disfigured by the Hollywood Freeway.

I viewed the relevant segment of the movie on You Tube, but I wasn't able to catch the exact frame that you did, Hoss. I was trying to see if I could get a larger, unpixelated view of what I think is a street sign topping the Acme traffic signal toward the upper left corner of the frame.

And that leads me to e-r's original mystery photo. I don't think the 90-degree turn is legit - looks to me like studio process. But the photo itself shows only a single track, and I don't know offhand of anyplace in Hollywood where such an arrangement existed. Maybe I missed something. I'll try You Tube again if I get the chance. Perhaps Wig-Wag or EdWorkman can offer some advice.
Thanks for giving it the old college try HH. I really appreciate it.

I'm starting to think we'll never figure out the street.

__

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
That appears to be 8460 Santa Monica Blvd (1938). Still looking for something on the cafe.
I'm still looking for the cafe as well t2. Thanks for pinpointing the building.

Here's another look....from a different angle.

back to the vintage

detail

I wonder what is across the street that's reflected in the cafe's window. It looks like a peaked building with a sign on top of the roof
(not unlike the small real estate offices that used to dot the landscape)

update:
It just occurred to me that Barney's Beanery is on the opposite of Santa Monica Blvd., but I'm pretty sure it's too far east to be reflected in the window.

I guess it would be possible, but I believe the angle of the windows are wrong.
It would only be possible if the 1947 Krisel photograph was taken on the side of the building that faces N. Alfred street. (to make the reflection feasible)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 4, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 11:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Beaudry, I meant to thank you earlier for posting this fantastic photograph!

I believe we covered some of the elements of the 'Blackburn Cult', but I wasn't able to find the old posts.

...as a reminder.

re: Blackburn Cult

The religious group known as the Blackburn Cult, the Divine Order of the Royal Arms of the Great Eleven, or the Great Eleven Club
was started in 1922 on Bunker Hill in Downtown Los Angeles, California; and later formed a retreat in the Southern California Simi Valley.
The group's founder, May Otis Blackburn, is said to have received revelations directly from angels, and along with her daughter Ruth Wieland Rizzio
believed she was charged by the archangel Gabriel to write books revealing the mysteries of heaven and earth and life and death.

Newspaper articles from the time period reported strange rituals including the sacrifice of animals, sex scandals and attempts to resurrect a dead 16-year-old girl.
Police found the corpse of Willa Rhoads under the floor at the Rhoads' residence, wrapped in spices and salt and surrounded by the bodies of seven dead puppies.
Mr. and Mrs. Rhoads later confessed to the police that they had placed their daughter in the tomb fourteen months earlier at the suggestion of May Otis Blackburn.
The cult was also accused of killing a member in an oven, poisoning another during a "whirling dervish" ceremony, and making several other members disappear.

Digging up Willa Rhoads (and the 7 puppies) So where is this?

Here are the two leaders of this Death Cult.

We've discussed a few cults on NLA but this one is particularly nasty.

May Otis Blackburn and her daughter.

historicalcrimedetective

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 5, 2017 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 11:49 PM

Here's one of the cult members.

A cult member known as “the King of Peace” holds a sacred object referred to by the group as “the Light of God”.

Why does Los Angeles attract so many cults.. Is it the climate? -something in the air?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 11:58 PM

'mystery' location

"Lawry's Garlic Spread Billboard, Los Angeles 1950s"

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-bil...s-circa-1950s/

note the incinerator and various other items under the billboard...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Thank's HossC. Was working on re-panoramaizing, but PBucket's ongoing scripts make it problematic. If you don't mind, what program/s are you using to stitch images together? Also, are you able to get around PBucket's apparent width and height limitations? My preference is the bigger, more detailed, the better.

Savenick's "Pay cash and save half."

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/32418

G-Men?

That's some noirish-looking guys there. I'm guessing that this business was a front for a protection racket.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Great pictures of the Deauville Beach Club, Chuckaluck, here are a couple more. The captions are taken directly from the USC descriptions, which gives the anomaly of the club being complete in 1920, but still under construction in 1923. At high tide the beach wasn't nearly as wide as the postcard above would suggest.

Beach in Santa Monica in front of the Deauville Beach Club, 1920

USC Digital Library

Beachgoers in front of the Deauville Club on the beach in Santa Monica, ca.1923

USC Digital Library

. . . . .

Other clubs on Ocean Front in 1928 include American Legion Post 123 at 1351, The Breakers Club at 1725, Club Casa Del Mar at 1811, Club Chateau at 1351, the Rotary Club and Santa Monica Athletic Club (visible to the left of the Deauville Beach Club in the photos above) at 1441, and the Sea Breeze Beach Club at 800. There's also the Crescent Bay Yacht Club at Wilshire and Ocean Front, and the Edgewater Club of Southern California at Pico and Ocean Front.

Santa Monica Public Library

More Santa Monica Athletic Club, circa 1927. (Looks like the Summer Holiday is over. Back to school?)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/25111

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/25111

On an unrelated note, here is a link to some video of JFK in '62 http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll88/id/1458 JFK and entourage are seen visiting Beverly Hills' Good Shepard Church, the Beverly Hilton and there are glimpses of Santa Monica Beach and PCH. The streaming is slow and it is difficult (for me) to capture a decent image. Can't recall seeing an image of the Presidential Colors flying over a Santa Monica Beach house before, but why not?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
That's some noirish-looking guys there. I'm guessing that this business was a front for a protection racket.

Had similar sentiments, although "G-Men" also crossed my mind. Source did not offer much info other than the image was insurance-related.

8366 Beverly Blvd - started out as a market in '36. Here's a view from 1940.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...coll65/id/2225

Please do not notice me.

Contemporary (Vaguely remember a business called "Blueprint" here.)
GoogleSVU

GoogleSVU

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 2:32 AM

One more for the road? or Play Ball!

1931 - 845 No. Alameda
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/19288

Contemporary
GoogleSVU

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 4:48 AM

'mystery' location #2

"Hacienda Airlines Billboard, Los Angeles CA. June 15,1960"

www.alamy.com

Must have been a fun flight....there was a piano on board!

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 5, 2017 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 5:09 AM

Here's one more before I call it a night.

"Los Angeles Times Billboard, Los Angeles CA 1950s

www.alamy.com

I like how the photographer squeezed in a glimpse of City Hall---->

....more billboard pics tomorrow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos