HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Can someone remind me where exactly the new science building is going and how tall it is going to be? I'm thinking its going to be on that big parking lot between the new parking garage and the parkway but I can't remember if that's what they went with after
Yes that's where it'll be. If I remember correctly the highest point of the building will be 6-7 storeys but it will only be for a certain wing (ie. the entire building will not be that high)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 9:27 PM

MUN QEII Library Expansion ?

Found this on an architects' website, don't believe I've heard about a planned expansion for the MUN Library.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 9:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A nice improvement, anyway.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Found this on an architects' website, don't believe I've heard about a planned expansion for the MUN Library.
what's the source?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 12:01 AM

MUN's long-term campus plan does include an expansion to the library. I haven't heard any buzz about it recently, though.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
what's the source?
http://gibbonssnow.com/portfolio/sustainability/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 4:21 PM

Looks nice. Be cool to cover up that lopped-off looking end of the library with that expansion. I believe it when I see it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
what's the source?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 5:16 AM

I really like the look of the MUN library extension. But I agree that it is probably many years down the road. I took a lot of quality naps in that library. *feeling nostalgic!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:09 PM

The next big project you will see started in the MUN/ Health Science center is the molecular imaging center which will be next to the janeway and the New faculty of medicine, its currently out to tender and is going to be one big job if i remember correctly its budget at 45 million plus 10 million in medical equipment.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
The next big project you will see started in the MUN/ Health Science center is the molecular imaging center which will be next to the janeway and the New faculty of medicine, its currently out to tender and is going to be one big job if i remember correctly its budget at 45 million plus 10 million in medical equipment.
What is currently under construction on the side of the HSC closest to MUN? I thought it was the faculty of medicine...?

I could be wrong.

*** Opps... just re-read your post Gravelley. I thought you were saying the molecular imaging centre and the faculty of medicine were the project. I realized you were stating the molecular imaging centre would be next to the Janeway AND the Faculty of Medicine.

Last edited by cdotr; Mar 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:52 AM
of Canada

Does anyone have any photos of inside Paton College? What do the rooms look like in particular?
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 10:54 AM

I don't have any pictures but I've been inside the older houses (Barnes, Burke) before. They're your standard res hall, most rooms are shared between 2 people, maybe 10-15 rooms a floor with a common room and a couple of bathrooms. Old res buildings have about 100 people in total. It isn't luxury but it isn't also poverty.

As for the newer res buildings, east and west tower, they're huge, with about 500 or so people in each tower. Brand new buildings, they're reallll nice. Private rooms in almost an "apartment like setting" with two (or maybe even 3) people sharing an apartment, with a bathroom in each. Much more private, also has common rooms and such. But I think you have to pay a higher price to stay here.

EDIT: The exterior of the res houses are probably the best feature of campus.
http://www.mun.ca/hfcs/housingservic...es/hatcher.php

DOUBLE EDIT: found a (small) picture of what the regular room in the older res houses looks like.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I don't have any pictures but I've been inside the older houses (Barnes, Burke) before. They're your standard res hall, most rooms are shared between 2 people, maybe 10-15 rooms a floor with a common room and a couple of bathrooms. Old res buildings have about 100 people in total. It isn't luxury but it isn't also poverty.

As for the newer res buildings, east and west tower, they're huge, with about 500 or so people in each tower. Brand new buildings, they're reallll nice. Private rooms in almost an "apartment like setting" with two (or maybe even 3) people sharing an apartment, with a bathroom in each. Much more private, also has common rooms and such. But I think you have to pay a higher price to stay here.

EDIT: The exterior of the res houses are probably the best feature of campus.
http://www.mun.ca/hfcs/housingservic...es/hatcher.php

DOUBLE EDIT: found a (small) picture of what the regular room in the older res houses looks like.
Is this a recent photo?

MUN has a project ongoing to renovate the old res buildings. It's a $ 45.5 M project with $ 5 M spending this year. Project will complete 2015. I believe it's a complete modernization effort so rooms are unlikely to look like the photo.

The new Res complex(s) offer an attractive ( cheap ) summer alternative to hotel rooms, for anyone interested.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:26 PM

I spent time in a "recently renovated old res" and not much is changed tbqh. Things are brought slightly more up to date in terms of ascetics, but as for overall layout nothing changes. Still sharing rooms, etc.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I spent time in a "recently renovated old res" and not much is changed tbqh. Things are brought slightly more up to date in terms of ascetics, but as for overall layout nothing changes. Still sharing rooms, etc.
I lived in a renovated res. They just updated everything, exact same layout. Great for social life. I heard the new res was bad for that and more people keep to themselves.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john98642 View Post
I lived in a renovated res. They just updated everything, exact same layout. Great for social life. I heard the new res was bad for that and more people keep to themselves.
I guess it can be a good and bad thing. You definitely want to be social with your house (and RWin there's a good atmosphere within each house, definitely a feeling of belonging to a smaller family), but at the same time the older res' do lack that privacy when you really need it. It's a balance; if you move into a new res you definitely want to spend time getting to know the others on your floor.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Here you go, RWin, from MUN.

This is a single room at Paton:

This is a double room:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:11 PM

I should also mention that I didn't talk about single rooms in the old res houses because you can't get them right into moving in. There are very few of these and they sort of work on a seniority-style wait list. If you've been in the house for a couple of years you can put your name in to get a single room and have a better chance of getting it than being a frosh (where you'll most definitely not even be considered).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 2:55 PM
of Canada

Thanks guys. We've got some info from the housing department as well but they weren't able to dig up any photos so this is great.

I'm asking for my daughter by the way. She will be starting in September this year and is pretty excited about it all. As much about university as moving to a new town and making a life of her own.

No, I'm not one of the helicopter parents. Just trying to find out as much as I can for her and this forum is probably one of the better resources for that (and she isn't a forum person).

Although she did look at SignalHill's St. John's photo threads.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:52 PM
of Canada

Okay, here's another one. The residence office told my daughter that since she applied on time, she is guaranteed a residence room. But in the same sentence they said she was 174 on the wait list. To me, wait list says that all the rooms are spoken for and she has to wait for 173 cancellations.

But maybe all they mean is that when it comes time to assign rooms, 173 people are ahead of her for assignment.

Any thoughts?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's