HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 2:36 PM

Regarding the conversation over the Buckhead Park project (GA400 Cap)--
An innovative park designed by a world class design firm is just not enough for some I guess. Nice to see a debate regarding quality and aesthetics even if I wholeheartedly disagree-- Its a beautiful Park that if executed as drawn would help to burnish Atlanta's design reputation in a big way.

BTW-- that big Falcon bird thing is pure kitsch and sort of an insult to the innovative stadium that will sit behind it--

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Regarding the conversation over the Buckhead Park project (GA400 Cap)--
An innovative park designed by a world class design firm is just not enough for some I guess. Nice to see a debate regarding quality and aesthetics even if I wholeheartedly disagree-- Its a beautiful Park that if executed as drawn would help to burnish Atlanta's design reputation in a big way.
I didn't see anybody critique the aesthetics of the bridge/park. Several people pointed out that it would be really bad from a public health perspective. The two thoughts are independent. I think it's a horrible idea as currently designed. The level of ozone and particulate matter in the park will be dangerous.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:21 PM

Quote:
BTW-- that big Falcon bird thing is pure kitsch and sort of an insult to the innovative stadium that will sit behind it--
Everyone I've shown the bird statue to thinks it looks very cool.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:44 PM

I actually really like the bird statue as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I didn't see anybody critique the aesthetics of the bridge/park. Several people pointed out that it would be really bad from a public health perspective. The two thoughts are independent. I think it's a horrible idea as currently designed. The level of ozone and particulate matter in the park will be dangerous.

The question of the design pf the bridge/park is a matter of judgement. The public health impact is another matter. We routinely build next to and over congested roads and highways that have high pollution and environmental impact concerns. The entire connector is a prime example of this and in particular the building of residences. It is a very complicated issue, particularly as standing traffic is particularly of concern. There are varying estimates on safe distances from such highways, but most of the new residential construction near the connector in Midtown falls within a zone that many in environmental health would consider to be harmful. And, of course, driving on the connector exposes one to high levels of particulates. The Buckhead partial cover will not be without such concerns, but a tunnel also is problematic, both because of the high level of contaminants for traffic within the tunnel and because the cumulated pollution must be vented somewhere. Nonetheless, there is hope that in the long run highly efficient combustion engines with good catalytic converters and the emergence of electric vehicles will greatly reduce, if not eliminate, these problems. This hope allows one to be more accepting of a partial cover at this time.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:56 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
AC Hotel by Marriott / Moxy Dual-Brand Hotel - 14th Street (Midtown)

AM I think only one who hates this? Yuck...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:01 PM

I haven't been around the Peachtree and 7th street area for a little while, but have they cut down the trees on the lot where the Hanover tower will be constructed at? I remember walking by there last time and saw 9/6/2016 as the date the trees were supposed to be cut I guess or permitted to.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:18 PM
Born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
It is a tad disappointing, but something is better than nothing. Hopefully the Stitch is what they say it will be.

After being in Boston over the weekend, the Greenway is amazing, you can see the development is has spurred there in a huge way.
To be honest after I took a closer look at it, I realized it’s actually a cool design. If it were built over a body of water it’d be perfect. But it’s not an ideal design for that particular location. You would barely be able to breath in such an environment. It’s a reason why interstates being capped are capped all the way. It just makes sense from a health standpoint and maximizing land usage.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I haven't been around the Peachtree and 7th street area for a little while, but have they cut down the trees on the lot where the Hanover tower will be constructed at? I remember walking by there last time and saw 9/6/2016 as the date the trees were supposed to be cut I guess or permitted to.
Not that I see....maybe this week?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Everyone I've shown the bird statue to thinks it looks very cool.
To each their own-- Pretty sure there were no architects or artists in that group(?)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Sure there is room for debate about completely covering GA400 and its relationship to adjacent properties, I agree-- As for public health I don't know enough about the subject to weigh in (not that that ever stops anybody on the internet ;-) The Downtown 'Stitch' is a much more important project in a lot of ways since it actually does attempt to reconnect Downtown/ Midtown urban fabric and the street grid that was severed by I-75/85 so many years ago--

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
AM I think only one who hates this? Yuck...
It looks very garage-y to me. Interaction with the street looks good though.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
GA 400 park more detailed design unveiled... looks like it won't completely cover up 400 now. Renderings also include Related Group's and Regent Partners projects; two tallest proposals of this cycle

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...r-georgia.html
Wow! Looks amazing to me.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...buckhead-64966

mid-rise self storage coming to SoBu
These storage places are stating to get fancy, lol.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
These storage places are stating to get fancy, lol.
It looks like a prison.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
You're probably right about a "true urban experience", but certain areas of Buckhead could see some improvement in the pedestrian experience. I don't think it's a total lost cause...miracles can happen over a decade or two.
The superblock created by the GA 400 extension, buckhead loop and Peachtree St is a missed opportunity. It was developed as a traditional office park back in the early 90s with no attempt to create any kind of urban fabric. Does anyone know how the master plan was originally conceived? Same for the area bounded by the loop, 400 and piedmont. Pretty disappointing.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:34 AM

Quote:
To each their own-- Pretty sure there were no architects or artists in that group(?)
Not accurate, I think majority if not all of the art being installed into the new stadium is coming from SCAD students/alumni; the press release was a joint effort of Falcons and SCAD

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Not accurate, I think majority if not all of the art being installed into the new stadium is coming from SCAD students/alumni; the press release was a joint effort of Falcons and SCAD
SCAD is acting as curator NOT producer of the art, this is true-- I know more that a few instructors there that share my opinion of the big bird...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 3:02 PM

http://www.highstreetatlanta.com/wp-..._Bro_US_A4.pdf

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...nd-early-2017/

Quote:
Zoning for the property for the massive development was approved by DeKalb County in 2007. Because there was no city at the time, the DHA was able to work out conditions for the project before it was approved by the county. The condition that 50 percent of the residential units be for sale was one of those conditions, said DHA President Robert Wittenstein.

GID bought the Perimeter Center Parkway property a decade ago for $83 million with plans to build a “vertical-urban” community. The economic recession hit, however, and put the project on hold.

Lowenberg said the company is in the construction document phase of the project with plans to wrap that up by the end of the year. Groundbreaking is expected in early 2017 and phase one finished by 2020.

GID has submitted a pre-application for a land disturbance permit to the city of Dunwoody. The pre-application outlines the location of utilities which is currently under review by the city and DeKalb County.

Phase one of the project includes construction of one 30-story residential tower, a 12-story office building, two seven-story residential buildings, two eight-story residential buildings, a 12-story residential building and several three-story townhouses. All residential buildings will have ground-floor retail.

Phase one

Last edited by GeorgiaPeanuts; Sep 13, 2016 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-town View Post
To be honest after I took a closer look at it, I realized it’s actually a cool design. If it were built over a body of water it’d be perfect. But it’s not an ideal design for that particular location. You would barely be able to breath in such an environment. It’s a reason why interstates being capped are capped all the way. It just makes sense from a health standpoint and maximizing land usage.
It would be better to cap it in phases if money is the issue than to move forward with something that would have to be demolished to eventually cap it in the future IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations