HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 1:29 AM

508 Lincoln Park - 508 W Diversey

Dec 25

Actually in Lakeview

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 1:52 AM

2950 N Sheridan

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:09 AM

Viridin on Sheridan - 734 W Sheridan

w.t.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Dec 25

Speaking of which - that Hampdens verbiage in the picture - building permit was issued last week for a lot right there which sounds a lot like that. However, it's on the lot 2 south of Diversey - wonder if they're building up 30 units total. Not a high rise - but 7 stories isn't too far off

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:05 PM
TL;DR

^ Yes, the south phase on Hampden Court was the first to start sales. It's a an easier sell to do condos on a side street, especially one with an exclusive address. Those units are also larger and more up-market.

The corner building is also condos, but they're a little smaller and there's also a retail component.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 6:13 PM

THE Lincoln Commons

Dec 25

N and South tower cores

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:07 AM

Wicker Park Connection II

Nov 22

from the Green line

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 22
So nice to see steel in the neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:29 AM

2950 Sheridan's glass turned out so nice and reflective. Developers take note. Imagine that color and tinting on 500 n. LSD.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:29 AM

500 lsd's glass turned out pretty well. The subtlety doesn't come across well in photos but it looks quite good in person. Google street view, strangely enough, shows it pretty accurately.

It probably isn't wise to compare it with one over processed photo of a curved shorter building.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
500 lsd's glass turned out pretty well. The subtlety doesn't come across well in photos but it looks quite good in person. Google street view, strangely enough, shows it pretty accurately.

It probably isn't wise to compare it with one over processed photo of a curved shorter building.
Not processed at all - CP fun.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 5:50 AM

Your polarizing filter is doing some odd things with color… typically you see saturation boosts and variations in reflectivity, not hue shifts. maybe it is just exaggerating an effect because of the curvature.

Either way, the point I was making is still the same. The photo isn’t really an accurate representation of the glass. Certainly not enough so to make dramatic claims about how other buildings should have handled theirs.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

I've never heard anything so false, 500 lsd looks like nasty ass Saran wrap in person and in photos. The only time it looks good is when there is some crazy summertime sun and thunderstorms type weather that allows you to see the pattern or if someone takes an up close shot of it where only the sky is reflected in the glass. It's a trash building like a 2 out of 10.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:42 PM

Have to agree with the hate for 500 LSD... such a disappointment... the lack of contrast with the glass is at the top of the list, but whatever happened to the promised vertical green wall? classic lazy architect attempt at unresearched landscaping - "let's put up some cables and, voila!, we'll have a vertical garden!"... and what's with the exposed clips at the window wall around the lobby... that's a trend that was mercifully brief...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I've never heard anything so false, 500 lsd looks like nasty ass Saran wrap in person and in photos. The only time it looks good is when there is some crazy summertime sun and thunderstorms type weather that allows you to see the pattern or if someone takes an up close shot of it where only the sky is reflected in the glass. It's a trash building like a 2 out of 10.
hard eye roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Have to agree with the hate for 500 LSD... such a disappointment... the lack of contrast with the glass is at the top of the list, but whatever happened to the promised vertical green wall? classic lazy architect attempt at unresearched landscaping - "let's put up some cables and, voila!, we'll have a vertical garden!"... and what's with the exposed clips at the window wall around the lobby... that's a trend that was mercifully brief...
Put me in the camp that enjoys subtlety I guess. I like that the striped effect isn't heavy handed and reads a little different dependent on the lighting conditions. I think pattern and relatively low reflectivity of the glass also helps mask any glass quality issues. It seems to me that a decent amount of towers which have gone up recently, that have large flat planes of highly reflective glass, can look poor in more lighting conditions - or at least the flaws are more pronounced. I quite enjoy the Optima towers, but the silver glass on the first tower often looks not great. It is something that, anecdotally, catches my attention when I pass by more so than I do with 500 LSD.

As for the base and vertical garden: yeah, not trying to defend that…

Last edited by jc5680; Dec 30, 2017 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:48 PM

No. 9 Walton

Dec 12

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:05 AM

56W Huron

Dec 19

Dec 29

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 6:52 AM
Meh

A local photographer from Austin uses a drone to fly around the city and take photos. Occasionally, he goes to other cities. He's in Chicago right now and has some pretty cool pics of the skyline with all that snow.

360 degree pano.
https://www.facebook.com/overaustin/...type=3&theater

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 12:50 PM

Renelle on the River - 403 N Wabash

Dec 19

Dec 29

Note that the wall on the left is the lot line, the wall on the right the curb, the crane is mounted over the sidewalk - with bracing running down to the property on the lower level.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
this is really great version of "fake old"
Huh? It doesn't look fake old at all.

The finish actually turned out quite well, but I can never give too high a rating to any building with balconies. Anything larger than a Juliet balcony is just too ugly. I suppose the only exceptions are where it is integral to the form of the building, as with Marina City or Aqua. I can't think of another example of balconies done well.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations