HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:08 PM

Was down in Chinatown this weekend to check out Yang Chow (delicious), Blossom Plaza (terrific new portal from the Gold Line), and the newly opened LA State Historic Park (fantastic). I noticed that the industrial complex north of Blossom Plaza, Capital Milling, has some pretty extensive work being done on it. I checked the development map at the beginning of this thread to see what was happening there, and it seems to be missing from the map. Anyone have details regarding what's being developed here? It's a really cool mix of old brick buildings so I'm curious to see what's planned.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:46 AM

Freehand did a top notch restoration of the groundfloor. Shame about the name though.

An interesting story about the building is that it was once cut down the middle and rejoined by one half being moved 5 feet to the east.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/r...b6c3b8324.html

About the park, here’s an interesting project about a giant waterwheel proposed by the Annenberg foundation that would feed the state historic park. It was approved in 2014 but haven’t heard anything that’s come of it recently.

http://tpepost.com/inspiration-lifes...-of-l-a-river/

My opinion about the park is that it’s lovely towards the entrance mainly because of the variations in grading, and then becomes a disappointment with the massive lawn which I feel is unnecessary and a waste of space. I can’t be too critical I guess, because the original plans got derailed by the Gov. Brown.

Last edited by ocman; May 9, 2017 at 11:28 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:10 PM

The Onni 50/49 story facade is interesting. The northern half of the buildings windows and treatment are dark like Atelier. The south side windows and treatment are light, reminiscent of Level. You can see it from the olive st side.

Also, the Olympic theater blade sign has been restored

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:15 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:27 PM

Sorry for the previous link, but here's this one: http://ktla.com/2017/05/09/city-land...-olympics-bid/

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Was down in Chinatown this weekend to check out Yang Chow (delicious), Blossom Plaza (terrific new portal from the Gold Line), and the newly opened LA State Historic Park (fantastic). I noticed that the industrial complex north of Blossom Plaza, Capital Milling, has some pretty extensive work being done on it. I checked the development map at the beginning of this thread to see what was happening there, and it seems to be missing from the map. Anyone have details regarding what's being developed here? It's a really cool mix of old brick buildings so I'm curious to see what's planned.
Hi

This might be what you are refering to.

http://urbanize.la/post/mixed-use-co...-historic-park

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliemac100 View Post
Hi

This might be what you are refering to.

http://urbanize.la/post/mixed-use-co...-historic-park
No, the Capitol Milling complex where the work is being done is south of that. You can see it in Google street view. The project you posted is not under construction yet.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:20 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Hey LAsam, A while ago I came across a project at the Capitol Milling site by Workshop Design Collective, but didn't take it seriously until also seeing the work underway when visiting the new park and seeing your comment.

Their website states:

"The vision for Capitol Milling is to structurally upgrade the existing facility and create over 50,000 square feet of artisanal food hall vendors, coffee roasters, bakery and cheese, a micro brewery, restaurants and cafes, mixed with creative office."

Not sure how real this project is, or if it's real why it hasn't been publicized, but it looks well designed and IMO would be a great addition to that area. There are some nice renderings on their website if someone wants to post them...

http://www.workshopdesigncollective....lling-building

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:24 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Hunter, those are some amazing shots. Hopefully we get some competitive sports teams back in the hunt so they can light them up with team colors. Dodgers and USC (football) probably have the best shot in the short term...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's a micro brewery with a pub/restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating (this was according to one of the park rangers at LASHP I talked to several weeks ago).

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:07 PM

I posted this over in the supertall section but will post here as well regarding the Wilshire Grand:

Two questions:

In the red, yellow, and purple pictures, one side of the sail appears brighter than the other. Is that just a shadow?

Does anyone know if the spire will be fully lit when complete?

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:46 PM

Will there be a certain time the LED lights will be turned off or will they be on overnight just like the US Bank Tower?

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
I posted this over in the supertall section but will post here as well regarding the Wilshire Grand:

Two questions:

In the red, yellow, and purple pictures, one side of the sail appears brighter than the other. Is that just a shadow?

Does anyone know if the spire will be fully lit when complete?
They're still testing so at times 1/2 the sail was brighter than the other 1/2.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusBy View Post
Hey LAsam, A while ago I came across a project at the Capitol Milling site by Workshop Design Collective, but didn't take it seriously until also seeing the work underway when visiting the new park and seeing your comment.

Their website states:

"The vision for Capitol Milling is to structurally upgrade the existing facility and create over 50,000 square feet of artisanal food hall vendors, coffee roasters, bakery and cheese, a micro brewery, restaurants and cafes, mixed with creative office."

Not sure how real this project is, or if it's real why it hasn't been publicized, but it looks well designed and IMO would be a great addition to that area. There are some nice renderings on their website if someone wants to post them...

http://www.workshopdesigncollective....lling-building
Thanks for this. I hope they don't paint the bricks white though... I like the current red brick look. Also, regarding this becoming a microbrewery and restaurant, that seems like an appropriate use. It seems too big though to just be that...

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:23 AM

New colors tonight:

Wilshire Grand for LA2024 by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:41 AM

^^^
Love that photo of the Wilshire Grand. I wish I could take photos like you.

I also went out tonight and took photos of some other buildings in LA that are lit up in the LA2024 bid logo colors. What do you guys think, will LA beat Paris for the 2024 Olympics? It's possible that LA might get 2028, if the IOC decides to award '24 and '28 at the same time.

The Broad

Disney Hall

LA City Hall and Grand Park Fountain

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
^^^
Love that photo of the Wilshire Grand. I wish I could take photos like you.

I also went out tonight and took photos of some other buildings in LA that are lit up in the LA2024 big logo colors. What do you guys think, will LA beat Paris for the 2024 Olympics? It's possible that LA might get 2028, if the IOC decides to award '24 and '28 at the same time.

The Broad

Disney Hall

LA City Hall and Grand Park Fountain
Awesome pics...I hope we get 2024!!!

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:56 PM

Imagine how much money would be put into infrastructure if we were awarded 2024. The purple line extensions would all be completed simultaneously and be at the VA by 2024. Burying the Flower station should also be a top priority. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw more hotel projects come to light too since the Convention center will be a huge draw. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:39 PM

I love the sunset color scheme for the Olympic bid. It's much better than that green lounge chair motif from the previous bid. I think we will be better off if the IOC does a double award and gives Los Angeles 2028. The most recent planning docs have the purple line finishing construction to Westwood after 2024. Phil Washington said it is unlikely it could be completed in time strictly from a constructibility point of view. That's bad news considering the athletes' village will be at UCLA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations