HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 3:19 PM

Relocation of Halterm

Since lots of people seemed to be discussing it and it would have such a large impact on the city I thought the subject of relocating Halterm should have its own thread.

Here is the article from todays Herald to get things going.

On the waterfront, cargo or condos best?

LAST WEEK I read an article in The Chronicle Herald that quoted a U.S.

expert on the marine and port industries as saying it would be short-sighted to relo cate the container terminal out of south-end Halifax. I believe his exact words were: “Some people do not understand the economics of this port, in par ticular, and of the marine indus try in general."

In a nutshell, the expert was surprised to hear some commu nity leaders in Halifax talking seriously about relocating the south-end container terminal to open up some prime real estate for new development. Don Mills and Bill Black, I believe, were two of the proponents that were mentioned. Regardless, I felt compelled to pipe up.

My initial reaction to the port expert’s comment is that he is likely half right: it was short sighted all right, but only to put the port in the south end of the city to begin with. The urban development team that oversaw that obviously did not see the forest through the trees.

Or so it would seem, as I watch giant transport trucks carrying 16-metre containers try to manoeuvre their way through the downtown core.

To be fair, I know that the terminal has been there forever and I am sure that there was sound logic behind locating it there at the time. Further, I am no expert in international ship ping or real estate development, although I do know a thing or two about our port, and a rea sonable amount about Halifax, having lived here for 35 years.

Far smarter people than I have looked at the situation, so forgive my armchair analysis if it is patronizing to some. But I believe that the issue should really be one of opportunity cost, not simply port economics. The fact is that the fiscal rele vance of the terminal to the city of Halifax has dwindled over time as our economy has di versified.

Twenty years ago, for exam ple, there was more container ized cargo moving through our port than there is today. By contrast, our property values on the peninsula have likely tripled, if not quadrupled, dur ing this same time period. At some point, something has to give.

So I believe it is fair to study the economic significance of keeping a terminal in the south end, versus moving it over to say the Shearwater side and developing the 29-hectare prime real estate block that Halterm

currently occupies.

To be honest, I don’t know if it would make sense, but I believe we owe it to ourselves to find out.

To help put things into con text, when Halterm was public it was generating around $40 million per year in revenues and $7 million per annum in profit. Let’s assume for the sake of argument that the implied $33 million in expenses was entirely spent on local payroll, local suppliers, utilities, rent paid to the Halifax Port Author ity, taxes, etc.

Now let’s assume that the terminal is relocated, and the 29-hectare property is put on the development block. Obvi ously there will a significant cost to relocate it, and an associ ated business interruption.

But once complete, we would be left with over three million square feet of real estate. Grant ed, some of that will be taken up by streets, common areas, etc., but factor in the construction of highrises and multi-unit dwell ings, and that block of land could easily provide a multiple of three million square feet in prime, waterfront living space.

So I don’t think I am off my rocker by saying that we could potentially be looking at a bil lion- dollar waterfront devel opment project that would cre ate a ton of spinoffs, not to men tion pull more people onto the peninsula and reduce commut ing times and emissions. I also don’t think that we would jeop ardize the port’s overall profit ability, longer term.

Understand that my objective is not to bash the terminal busi ness. It’s a good business with very capable people operating it. But I believe that a study should be completed so that we can look at things pragmatical ly.

The reality is that neither Halterm nor Ceres Corp. are locally owned. They are con trolled by Australian and Japa nese conglomerates, respec tively. In other words, the prof its that they earn do not neces sarily get retained and reinvested nearby.

Further, terminals, in gener al, are sleepy, throughput busi nesses that arguably don’t gen erate a ton of spinoffs for the local economy.

There is obviously a decent labour component, and some freight forwarding and logistics that take place locally; but in many cases the cargo gets load ed onto a truck or train and shipped somewhere else. On the latter front, CN Rail and related trucking companies benefit, and obviously they would have a presence here.

But in many instances, even locally destined cargo goes to places like Montreal first, then back to Halifax. Food for thought.

Jonathan Norwood is a vice-presi dent and portfolio manager with Louisbourg Investments.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 4:50 PM
Honored Member

Instead of spending money on a third harbour bridge or tunnel probably much less would be required to do the following:

- move the Halterm terminal to Dartmouth where it would have quick highway access and eliminate the truck traffic through downtown Halifax.
- build a Northwest arm bridge (there would be a lot of opposition).
- convert the railcut to a roadway that could connect to a northwest arm bridge.

Instead of directing traffic to Dartmouth with a third crossing, it would tend to open up areas in Spryfield and the Bayers Lake areas.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 7:48 PM

I have been a long-standing proponent of this idea. Imagine the Halterm site and its surrounds as a type of Marina Del Rey community... it would be worth a fortune and be THE area to live in.

The idea is not new. I remember an old Harry Flemming column in the Daily News decades ago talking about the same thing. It likely came from an artist's conception of the site that was in the offices of one of Halifax's most respected engineers. Yet nothing has ever been done, likely due to both vested interests at Halterm and the HPA, who enjoy Halterm's annual rent payments.

The issue with the idea that we will benefit from the post-Panamax super container ships is that it is simply pie in the sky. We will never see those ships in any numbers. In fact, I would argue that we will see fewer and fewer container ships of any kind in any numbers. The reasons are due both to our poor CN connections to the rest of the world, and our labor situation at the port, which makes Halifax extremely uncompetitive compared to other ports. It simply is not going to happen. That labor problem is why the Melford terminal is still alive, since it will be highly automated and use very little, much cheaper, labor. What cargo needs to come through here can easily be handled at Ceres.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 11:21 PM
Urban Thinker

One other benefit of the relocation is the possible expansion of Point Pleasant. This could also include a ferry to George's Island, which could be opened to the public as part of the park.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 3:32 PM

I read an article in the paper last week saying that they are planning to expand hal term, getting bigger cranes, and dredging out that section there for bigger ships to come in.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 3:45 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
One other benefit of the relocation is the possible expansion of Point Pleasant. This could also include a ferry to George's Island, which could be opened to the public as part of the park.
I like the idea of a ferry to George's Island but I think that Halifax needs the land more for future development than having a larger Point Pleasant Park. I read recently that $3.5 million has been allocated towards George's Island to open it up to visitors ( http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1164271.html ). How about starting a thread on this topic (George's Island)?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I see no need nor benefit to expansion of PPP. The ferry to George's does not depend upon that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 7:19 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I see no need nor benefit to expansion of PPP. The ferry to George's does not depend upon that.
I suppose that the land should be allocated to mixed-use development, and PPP is already a massive park. I would like to see this as a mix of low and high rises with an emphasis on the water. There could also be a new multi purpose theatre built to support local theatre companies, and could even be used by sheakspeare by the sea on rainy days. But, what I was saying is if george's is opened to the public and they move halterm, this would be an ideal place for a ferry station.

Last edited by haligonia; Jan 31, 2010 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 12:41 AM

i think if this happens the land would better be used as expand the port/pier area thats slowly becoming more tourist friendly.
but i always thought that an aquarium or small zoo should be in halifax and this could be a good place for it or mcnabs island but i doubt that would happen.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 6:54 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I like the idea of Aquarium as we are a Seaport and that to me fits better than Zoo. A Zoo would require more land for expansion in the future as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I like the idea of Aquarium as we are a Seaport and that to me fits better than Zoo. A Zoo would require more land for expansion in the future as well.
I have always thought an aquarium would be a good fit for Halifax. A zoo wouldn't fit our "theme" as well and our climate would pose some problems in keeping animals.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I have always thought an aquarium would be a good fit for Halifax. A zoo wouldn't fit our "theme" as well and our climate would pose some problems in keeping animals.
if i remember correctly there is an aquarium planned as part of the Queenslanding project. Not sure the size, but i know its to form part of it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
if i remember correctly there is an aquarium planned as part of the Queenslanding project. Not sure the size, but i know its to form part of it.
I think there was a small one proposed, and that would be pretty nice.....if it ever gets approved.
but i think a larger one in the point pleasant area may be better.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
I think there was a small one proposed, and that would be pretty nice.....if it ever gets approved.
but i think a larger one in the point pleasant area may be better.
True, a small one or a big one doesn't really matter to me as long as we get one.

It would be nice to see that project, and come to think of it, that project was proposed in 2005, on a call for proposals sent out in 2004.......... Seems to be slow moving.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 8:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
There was an incident in the Vancouver area recently; they had a giraffe die of hypothermia.

Anyway, I agree that an aquarium would be nice, and it would fit well as an attraction on the waterfront at Queen's Landing. Not sure where the funding would come from for this one though. Is the project even really still alive? Their site is down.

In general it feels like everything is on the table at all times in Halifax (let's build a library, rinks, sports centre, museum, aquarium, stadium, third bridge, tunnels, highrises downtown, etc. etc.) but that there's not much direction.. I'd take one real project over 20 imaginary ones.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 4:22 AM

I've talked with the WDC and they say it is still definitely on the table. And I think they actually said is was moving along as well. Don't know exactly what that means, but they might be waiting for the bioscience people to move up to Summer street.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 8:26 PM

I think the bigger question is: Where would halterm go? The majority of the stuff they take off (as I understand it) actually is rail still and truck still is in the minority (although not by much).

So for an effective port to function; it needs a rail connection. If you move it to the Dartmouth side, there isn't really anywhere along the coastline that would work except maybe putting it on the Hartlen Point Golf Course - even then I think it would be an issue because you would want the ships to be sheltered during storms; that's almost totally exposed even on the side facing into the harbour.

Also, where would be the rail connection? You could rebuild the spur that comes off near Shearwater; but then how do you get it there? Plus Shore Road and Eastern Passage Drive I don't think could handle that extra volume (I could be wrong on that). The good thing would be the Circumfrential highway - once the trucks got it to - easy access out of the city.

I'm not trying to knock the idea; I think the Halterm site would be a great opportunity for a whole bunch of things like a new stadium, condos, etc. Just have to look at the broader issue of what halterm would need to operate.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 12:12 AM

I was thinking about this some more over the weekend while I sat at a coffee shop along Davie Street in Vancouver - such a wonderful place!

Halterm seems to be pretty confined when it comes to expansion, especially because of the piers just north of them and of course Pier 21 and the cruise ship area.

The Dartmouth side of the harbour seems to be more in line as an industrial side (in terms of the existing development) than Halifax, as much of the harbourside along Halifax (with the exception of the area near the McKay and the DND portions) seems to be converting to more residential/mixed use type of development.

The auto port on the Dartmouth presents an interesting opportunity site, if Halterm were to think long term. Does anyone know if they have anything to do with it?? (I am not sure)

I'd say if they were to move, that might be the best location or potentially infill into the harbour somewhat to create a large enough pier for them. There is a rail line there, which can provide a link to the main line out at Windsor Junction to Quebec and beyond.

This would then beg the question of what do you do with the Halterm site (once it was fully remediated)? Also, once the major rail need is gone from the rail cut - it might open the site up to more use for a rail service.

The more that I was in Vancouver the more I though that if you combine the existing pier 21 sites, remove the industrial buildings and halterm and the grain elevators (if it's all moved to the Dartmouth side) - that would be a pretty large site that could be used for something like maybe an Expo? Could also be a spot for a stadium and new mixed use development - although the whole area is covered by viewplanes.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The auto port on the Dartmouth presents an interesting opportunity site, if Halterm were to think long term. Does anyone know if they have anything to do with it?? (I am not sure)
No, Autoport is owned by CN.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
No, Autoport is owned by CN.
That is what I figured.
I believe fenwick posted a nice map about harbour depth - autoport isn't as deep as halterm - so dredging would be needed to move the port.

If it did move; it would open up a huge piece of land, but the city's viewplanes would limit heights in order to redevelop. I think it would also see the grain elevators move too though.

Might be a good spot for something like an Expo (at first) and then a natural progression. Have to keep the rails for commuter rail though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure