HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 7:56 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
You've lost sight here Buddy. Los Angeles is not a an enormous, unmanageable, unhealthy, unsafe, environmentally disastrous scar on the face of this earth. If the Denver metro or most major metros were as big as Los Angeles' at their density levels as opposed to Los Angeles' that would be an enormous, unmanageable, unhealthy, unsafe, environmentally disastrous scar on the face of this earth.
Sorry to bring this thread even further off topic, but I have to respond to this.

Which part are you refuting? You provide no evidence to refute. Let's itemize this:

1. LA metro is enormous, sprawling, car-centered. Look at a map. Look out your window. I bet when you end up moving to Portland like the rest of the Whites in CA, you'll notice that they are very manageable. And are doing a fine job of curbing sprawl, keeping up with needed transportation options, and have a progressive plan for the future. So I will have to disagree with you. I believe Denver is in many ways like Portland and I believe they will learn from the mistakes of sprawling metros such as LA. I just wanted to bring light to that.

2. Unmanageable. It is unmanageable because it does not work as a region. It works as separate entities, dozens of areas working against each other instead of as a whole. A good example of a North American city that is doing a good job of working as a region is Toronto. Minneapolis also has regional industry tax sharing.

3. Unhealthy. Every time I stay in LA I wake up in the middle of the night with fits of asthma. And I am a healthy young man. When I blow my nose when I'm there, my snot is brown. Tell me that is healthy.

4. Unsafe. Ok, so the entire region is not "unsafe", so perhaps this one is unfair. But there are some of the most dangerous places in this country in LA County. I don't think I need to cite statistics.

5. Environmentally disastrous. 17 million people (or more?) sprawling over a technically inhabitable dessert, running out of water, landslides, earthquakes, and forest fires ruining homes and infrastructure on a regular basis, and calling for resources from this nation as a whole pretty regularly all so people can live in the sunshine. BTW, the Southwest will never, ever, ever, get water from the Great Lakes. Better start working on cheapening that desalinization process.

These are just the very obvious. I can go into a lot more detail if you'd like.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations