HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
No, I think that is the new tower going up in Guangzhou (500m). It is quite the looker though, ain't it?
Actually it was completely made up... I just hacked away at a rectangle in photoshop until I got a shape I kinda liked, ha.

EDIT: just checked that out... funny it does look similar.

Last edited by sbarn; Mar 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Apparently not -- unless there are unoccupied mechanical floors at the top. We'll need to see the DOB filings.
They originally reported 1327 but I retweeted them as the DOB filings have been for either 1,380 or 1,397, and it has been changed. I think one of those two figures will end up being the height although it could obviously still change...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 2:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ial-tower.html

CIM, Macklowe to Build Tallest New York Residential Tower

By Oshrat Carmiel
Mar 30, 2012

Quote:
CIM Group and developer Harry Macklowe are planning to build a Manhattan residential tower that would be the tallest in New York City.

Macklowe and Los Angeles-based CIM intend to build an 82- story, 1,397-foot (436-meter) building at the site of the former Drake Hotel on Park Avenue. The plan was included in permit applications for a sprinkler system and fire alarm filed this week with the New York City Department of Buildings.

The developers previously filed plans to build a six-story, 88-foot building on the site, according to city records. Those papers haven’t been updated to reflect the new size of the tower, according to Ryan FitzGibbon, a department spokeswoman.

“They’ve indicated on subsequent applications that the height of the new building will now be 82 stories,” FitzGibbon said in a telephone interview. “However, they have not yet amended the new building plans nor have these subsequent filings been approved.”

http://www.observer.com/2012/03/440-...-trade-center/

432 Park Avenue Will Reach 1,397 Feet, Taller Even Than the World Trade Center

By Michael Ewing 3/30

Quote:

As of right now, New York by Frank Gehry is the tallest residential building in New York. That might change early next year when (or if) 70 Pine is fully converted, but even if that doesn’t happen, One57 will gladly take the lead in the fall of 2013.

The lot on the corner of 57th Street and Park Avenue has been speculated to be the new home of the toothpick tower and recent document filings have confirmed the plan for the mammouth residential building, the Real Deal discovered:

CIM Group and New York developer Harry Macklowe are making strides towards building the tallest residential building in New York City at the Drake Hotel site at 440 Park Avenue. They filed a plan examination request for the building, one of the first steps towards getting a development off the ground, with the Department of Buildings, according to a DOB filing dated March 26.

The filings noted the building height as 1,397 feet tall. Putting that in perspective, One57 will only be 1,004 feet tall. Jean Nouvel’s tower for MoMA is taller, but not by much: 1,050 feet, after being knocked down from 1,250 feet by the City Planning Commission. And, depending on how one measures, taller than the Empire State Building (also 1,250) if one ignores the spire (1,453 feet).

Also looks like typical filing, so 1,397 ft may not be the final height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 4:08 PM
World Machine

This press coverage is very positive!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:33 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Jean Nouvel’s tower for MoMA is taller, but not by much: 1,050 feet, after being knocked down from 1,250 feet by the City Planning Commission.
I'm still upset about this, shame on CPC!

---------------

On topic: It looks like 432 PA will be around 1,400' in the end, so there shouldn't be any severe height changes- which is a good thing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:46 PM

Looks great for the tower, as long as we get a new highest roof height in NY, I will be happy

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:04 PM
JoeCooper

NOT to be splitting hairs, but I bet people will still label this a 1,400 foot tall structure even though it may be 1,397 feet. Take the Bank of America Tower which is really 1,198 feet, yet all across the land is hailed as a 1,200 foot structure...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 6:11 PM
BANNED

It's amazing that, in a recession, NY has 5 supertalls under construction or about to begin construction (i.e., One57, 1 WTC, the Coach Tower, 432 Park Ave., and 4 WTC, which -- in effect -- is a supertall), and several more likely on the immediate way (i.e., the HY North Tower, 225 W57th, and Torre Verre)!!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It's amazing that, in a recession, NY has 5 supertalls under construction or about to begin construction (i.e., One57, 1 WTC, the Coach Tower, 432 Park Ave., and 4 WTC, which -- in effect -- is a supertall), and several more likely on the immediate way (i.e., the HY North Tower, 225 W57th, and Torre Verre)!!!!
NYC is not in a recession.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:15 AM
Ω

It looks like there will be large void spaces throughout the tower. That will be very interesting.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
NOT to be splitting hairs, but I bet people will still label this a 1,400 foot tall structure even though it may be 1,397 feet. Take the Bank of America Tower which is really 1,198 feet, yet all across the land is hailed as a 1,200 foot structure...
As with any case, it depends on where the height is measured from (bofa), but its still to early here to say exactly what the height will be until the design is revealed or we've seen some drawings. Those DOB filings often don't reveal what will be the final height of a building. Take for example One57. We've known for a while now what the actualy height is, yet some in the media are still using the DOB height as a reference...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ial-tower.html

Quote:
At 1,397 feet, the tower would surpass a residential property Extell Development Co. is building on West 57th Street. That one is planned to reach 953 feet, FitzGibbon said. The Extell site is slated to be New York’s tallest residential building when it’s completed next year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 2:38 AM

Question

This other 953' tower....this seems new to me. Are there any details aside from what you posted above? And is true as to their calling it already UC?

Pls forgive my ignorance....the amount of stuff here to keep an eye on is overwhelming.

Thx

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 3:05 AM

Read NYGuys post. It's about media sources not agreeing on heights, or getting the height wrong, so that 57th St tower you're asking about is One57. Bloomberg just got the height number wrong.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 12:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
This other 953' tower....this seems new to me. Are there any details aside from what you posted above? And is true as to their calling it already UC? Pls forgive my ignorance....the amount of stuff here to keep an eye on is overwhelming. Thx
Yeah, it's under construction. It's the tower known as "One57" and it will be 1005 ft. The 953' height is the DOB height. I just used it as an example of DOB filings not always revealing a buildings total height. That could be the case here as well, we just have to wait and see when plans are revealed.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, it's under construction. It's the tower known as "One57" and it will be 1005 ft. The 953' height is the DOB height. I just used it as an example of DOB filings not always revealing a buildings total height. That could be the case here as well, we just have to wait and see when plans are revealed.
Ah.......I do seem to recall quite a bit of consternation going on here when they announced the project that would become One57 as 953'. Everyone assumed--and rightly so--that it would be a 1000-footer to begin with.

I'm not quite sure why the height would change one way or another this far into the construction process...then again, I don't do these DOB filings.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:58 PM

1,397' is an awkward height. It reminds me of prices when something is being sold for $13.95 or $13.99 but it's really $14.00. This Tower should surpass 1,400'. Besides, I thought the spire/antenna atop One World Trade counted to make it "America's Tallest." The media is making it out to be like 432 Park is going to be New York City's Tallest building although it will have the highest roof.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:48 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
1,397' is an awkward height. It reminds me of prices when something is being sold for $13.95 or $13.99 but it's really $14.00. This Tower should surpass 1,400'. Besides, I thought the spire/antenna atop One World Trade counted to make it "America's Tallest." The media is making it out to be like 432 Park is going to be New York City's Tallest building although it will have the highest roof.
Because contrary to forumer belief, architects almost never design buildings to specific heights, but do so to get the proportions and details they want and are structurally economical. You don't just get to add three feet somewhere...it costs money and could make the building parapet look out of whack. Reality doesn't really work out to always having pretty round numbers.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Because contrary to forumer belief, architects almost never design buildings to specific heights, but do so to get the proportions and details they want and are structurally economical. You don't just get to add three feet somewhere...it costs money and could make the building parapet look out of whack. Reality doesn't really work out to always having pretty round numbers.
Well yeah I considered that costs would have something to do with it. I don't think an extra 3 feet would make the parapet of the building look out of whack because come on 3 feet is nothing. However, if costs were such a problem then this Tower wouldn't even be reaching anywhere near 1,397' so making it top 1,400' shouldn't matter. I mean I'm sure they have a specific budget they plan to stick to so the height they chose is what it will be. Anyway, I think 1,397' is a reasonable number so I know it will do wonders for the Manhattan Skyline, especially Midtown.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I'm not quite sure why the height would change one way or another this far into the construction process...then again, I don't do these DOB filings.
I'm quite sure the 1397 ft height is accurate for what it's a reference to, as is the 953 ft height for One57. Keep in mind though that the DOB height numbers aren't a reference to the total height of a structure. In some cases it could be right on, but its usually not the source for total height. But even if the accurate height is 1,420 as we have here, its only a 23 ft difference. Visually, it wouldn't matter much.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:49 PM

@NYGuy:

Thanks for the info; but in one of my increasingly frequent moments of confusion I was questioning the final DOB height filings with One57 in mind. I understand your point that this particular building's final height wouldn't make a difference in any case.
My question should have been (and really should belong in the One57 thread):

Is the 1,003' height for that tower "official" by the majority of accepted definitions; and do the DOB filings reflect this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive