HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

By the way, that building (along Richmond) featuring Farhi is almost as ugly as the courthouse.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:57 PM

Anyone been by the Wortley village development lately?? at Wortley and Bruce? hows is it progressing? any pictures?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:04 PM
Sanity merchant

It's up to the second floor, still all wood work so far. nothing else, little red roaster is gonna be a tenant in there. I'll take a pic next time im in the area which should be soon.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 2:25 AM
bro

Smile

King Wah on York is in the process of being torn down. A company called Total Demolition already has half the building ripped apart.

Does this mean the York proposal is going forward?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 PM

86 york(king Wah)

Architectural Treatment
The exterior of the building will contain the following:
 Insulated metal Panels
 Insulated Glass curtain wall incorporating two colors to provide a contrast.
 Oriental styled canopy above the main entrance
 Parapet moldings.
 A composition of tile and masonry for the finish.
Heres the link to the proposalhttp://www.london.ca/Planning_and_De...2010_11_17.pdf

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:43 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky212 View Post
86 york(king Wah)

Architectural Treatment
The exterior of the building will contain the following:
 Insulated metal Panels
 Insulated Glass curtain wall incorporating two colors to provide a contrast.
 Oriental styled canopy above the main entrance
 Parapet moldings.
 A composition of tile and masonry for the finish.
Heres the link to the proposalhttp://www.london.ca/Planning_and_De...2010_11_17.pdf
Looks nice! Certainly better than what's currently there. York Street could really use an improvement, so it's great to see even little developments like this. I really hope that the Ren II store frontage turns out well also, because I'm not liking the podium so far.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 10:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Most def a big improvement.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:47 AM
bro

Smile

I'd imagine by the end of the week King Wah will be completely demolished. Here's 89 York as it stands today:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:08 PM

Just noticed that the UDPRP website has new projects going to the Urban Design Peer Review Panel this month:

- Proposed Medium/High density development by Tricar (160 Sunningdale Rd West - Basically a few properties West of Richmond on the South side of Sunningdale) - Looks like they are proposing 2 new towers along Sunningdale which are 18 storeys tall with a 2 storey podium linking them. One midsize building along the street going into the neighbourhood with a portion of 2 storey podium along Sunningdale. And 3 storey towns on the south side of the block. Looks like an exciting project, not many architectural details are revealed other then the massing in a sketchUp drawing.

- Proposed specialized memory care facility focusing exclusively on Alzheimer’s, dementia and related memory issues afflicting our aging seniors (120 Chelton Rd - Southwest corner of Commissioners and Chelton on the edge of the Summerside Subdivision. Nothing too special from an urban design point of view.. It seems like a pretty specialized building with specific requirements for design and safety.

- Proposal for 5 storey apartment building (3535 Settlement Trail - Well within the Talbot Village Neighbourhood in Southwest London) I feel as though this building could be much better designed as it is at the terminus point for the street that will be eventually built from Bostwick Rd into this subdivision. I believe the original plans for this street called for it to act as a Wortley Village with a mix of uses, I wonder if that will still happen.. Any case on this particular application I think they could have framed the street better with the building and hid the parking in the back that way creating a better view terminus as for the future as the development builds out.

Anyway if anyone wants to check out the briefs with renderings go to:
http://london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Planning_...ermar21_12.htm

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:26 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^Thanks for the information. Sounds like some interesting stuff. Too bad it's all for the outskirts though.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:18 AM
ARTchitecture

Renaissance 2 under construction in London - 93 meters tall

Crown on King I in London - 72 meters tall

Source: me

What is going on with One London Place II? I've heard a rumour, a couple times, that the tower has been or will be re-proposed... any truth or insight into this?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:04 PM
User Registered

Nice photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

What is going on with One London Place II? I've heard a rumour, a couple times, that the tower has been or will be re-proposed... any truth or insight into this?
In a recent interview with the London Free Press, Sifton stated that One London Place is at-capacity, and are turning tenants away. If they can find an anchor tenant for the second tower, they will build it.

All this comes from an article that actually talked about the high office vacancy rate in London. Farhi's buildings have especially high rates, probably because companies would rather look elsewhere for office space.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Nice photos!

In a recent interview with the London Free Press, Sifton stated that One London Place is at-capacity, and are turning tenants away. If they can find an anchor tenant for the second tower, they will build it.

All this comes from an article that actually talked about the high office vacancy rate in London. Farhi's buildings have especially high rates, probably because companies would rather look elsewhere for office space.
Yeah...if I had a company in London I wouldn't want it associated with the Bell building. Nothing against Bell, but that is one fugly building.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:46 AM
bro

Smile

I noticed the buildings to the west of me have some renderings posted. Dunno what the likelihood of this actually happening is, but it seems fairly interesting. We should see some activity happening soon if the timeline is still June 2012.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:35 PM

Urban Outfitters Richmond & Oxford

Apparently Urban Outfitters is coming to London. I heard rumours of this in the past however, when I heard it it was supposed to be located somewhere on Dundas. I think if Urban Outfitters would of located at Dundas and Richmond it would of helped out the downtown even more and filled an empty space (old CIBC). However, I am impressed that they did pick the core area and I am sure this will lead further announcements. LFPress article below:
Urban Outfitters coming to London
By NORMAN DE BONO, LONDON FREE PRESS

"Richmond Row is about to land a multi-billion dollar retail heavyweight.

Urban Outfitters, the stylish youth-oriented clothier, is opening a 10,000 square foot store at Richmond and Oxford streets in the former Blockbuster video store, a $3 million investment.

"I think this is huge," said Syl Carle, a Toronto businessperson who owns the building.

"That is the entrance to Richmond Row and the downtown and I truly believe it will set the tone for what is coming."

It will be the Philadelphia-based retailers first store west of Toronto, where it has three stores, and joins others in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal and Quebec.

The space it has leased here is "huge, just huge," he added.

Urban Outfitters, also operates Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN brand names in the United States, Canada, and Europe and boasts annual sales of about $2.5 billion worldwide.

Carle believes retailing may see a future trend away from big box and mall retailers and Urban Outfitters have embraced that. Its Toronto stores are streetfront operations and in Kingston it moved into a renovated downtown bank.

"Retailers are starting to recognize big box stores do not always work in certain markets and Urban Outfitters fit that," said Carle.

"They are going after very specific targets and they cannot really do that in a Big Box setting. This tenant is very forward-looking."

The store is hoping it will tap into the market of Western University students who frequent that area.

Urban Outfitters could not be reached for comment Friday.

"It is such a vote of confidence in the core area," said Brad Scrinko, owner of Gift of Art and board member with the Richmond Row Merchants Association.

"It is great to have one-of-a-kind stores, they are the heart of the area, but its good to have a major chain anchor too. That mix is very successful."

In fact, few independent retailers could absorb a large space such as the southwest corner of the intersection, he added.

"It is all about having a diverse mix. People will come down and shop there and visit other stores and restaurants here," said Scrinko.

Work is now underway on the store and it will open likely in the fall. It has signed a long term lease, he added.

Carle has owned that space since 2001."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner_abroad View Post
Apparently Urban Outfitters is coming to London. I heard rumours of this in the past however, when I heard it it was supposed to be located somewhere on Dundas. I think if Urban Outfitters would of located at Dundas and Richmond it would of helped out the downtown even more and filled an empty space (old CIBC). However, I am impressed that they did pick the core area and I am sure this will lead further announcements. LFPress article below:
Urban Outfitters coming to London
By NORMAN DE BONO, LONDON FREE PRESS

"Richmond Row is about to land a multi-billion dollar retail heavyweight.

Urban Outfitters, the stylish youth-oriented clothier, is opening a 10,000 square foot store at Richmond and Oxford streets in the former Blockbuster video store, a $3 million investment.

"I think this is huge," said Syl Carle, a Toronto businessperson who owns the building.

"That is the entrance to Richmond Row and the downtown and I truly believe it will set the tone for what is coming."

It will be the Philadelphia-based retailers first store west of Toronto, where it has three stores, and joins others in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal and Quebec.

The space it has leased here is "huge, just huge," he added.

Urban Outfitters, also operates Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN brand names in the United States, Canada, and Europe and boasts annual sales of about $2.5 billion worldwide.

Carle believes retailing may see a future trend away from big box and mall retailers and Urban Outfitters have embraced that. Its Toronto stores are streetfront operations and in Kingston it moved into a renovated downtown bank.

"Retailers are starting to recognize big box stores do not always work in certain markets and Urban Outfitters fit that," said Carle.

"They are going after very specific targets and they cannot really do that in a Big Box setting. This tenant is very forward-looking."

The store is hoping it will tap into the market of Western University students who frequent that area.

Urban Outfitters could not be reached for comment Friday.

"It is such a vote of confidence in the core area," said Brad Scrinko, owner of Gift of Art and board member with the Richmond Row Merchants Association.

"It is great to have one-of-a-kind stores, they are the heart of the area, but its good to have a major chain anchor too. That mix is very successful."

In fact, few independent retailers could absorb a large space such as the southwest corner of the intersection, he added.

"It is all about having a diverse mix. People will come down and shop there and visit other stores and restaurants here," said Scrinko.

Work is now underway on the store and it will open likely in the fall. It has signed a long term lease, he added.

Carle has owned that space since 2001."
What a coupe for London, Downtown retail is so hard to attract in small and medium sized cities. Hopefully your downtown continues to bring in new retailers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:50 PM

That's pretty sweet, retail such as that I figured would end up at Masonville or White Oaks.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:33 PM

^^That's very cool news, I know that there will be a new bar going in just down the street from there, so that block is about to get a face lift.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 2:25 PM
Sanity merchant

Not a fan of the chain, but damn... This single investment and CHOICE of where it's going has converted me!!! I'm stoked to see some support for downtown like this.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 9:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Good stuff on decent retail coming downtown. Wish the Apple Store was downtown rather than Masonicville.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates