HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I remember when the building on the corner of Quinpool across from the Atlantica hotel had a parking garage and gas station on the ground floor, I believe it has now been converted to offices. I also remember on the other side of the same building there was a subway, I tried using the washroom in there once and I remember the conditions where just plain horrible.
LOL... I went to St Pats High in the early 70s and that was a Gulf station complete with mechanical shop directly across from the school side entrance (on Parker St) and the pay parkade above. I bought gas there a few times. After they closed the mechanical shop the Pop Shoppe went in there. Seemed an odd location. Now I guess the parkade is for the use of the offices in the tower. If memory serves, the tower used to have a large Gulf sign on the top. I presume they had some offices there.

As for that Subway location, that spot was the kiss of death for anything that went in there. The Subway actually lasted longer than most. I would take the bus home from school and wait at the stop on Robie across from that location. That stop originally had one of Metro Transit's plastic purple "space bubble" shelters that eventually had all the plexiglass windows busted out of it by juvenile delinquents before it was replaced. Originally the Subway location was the Monterey Lounge which had a very (now retro) cool neon sign that included a cigarette in an odd-looking ashtray. How times change. I think at some point it became a short-lived restaurant before the Subway went in. Don't recall what is there today.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 1:18 AM

I might be mixing things up, but wasn't there an paintball thing in that parking on Quinpool for a brief while? About a decade ago when paintball was new and all the rage?

Incidentally, I remember that subway. I was a real little kid back then and I remember going by it in the car and asking my mom if Halifax had a subway system. Didn't have cable and really didn't watch much tv when I was little (raccoons and fraggles) so I really didn't get exposed to much advertising. To me, subways were for trains and had nothing to do with sandwiches! Funny to look back on now given that HRM won't even consider light rail!

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 1:54 AM

Yeah, if only the city kept its progressiveness that it had at the turn of the century, apparently back in 1917 the city was planning to build a subway system, it was scuttled eventually probably because of the explosion. Maybe if they had built it that location would be indeed a subway station

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:58 PM

Here's one for you. When Halifax and Dartmouth were separate cities, Halifax had (typically) an "early closing bylaw" that prevented stores from opening after 6PM. At first there was an exception for Friday nights; later that was extended, first to Thursday, then to Wednesday. Naturally this was a boon to Dartmouth retailers since they had no such restriction and could open 6 nights a week. This led to much retail development in Dartmouth.

A couple of memories: despite it being pretty crappy even for the times, the Dartmouth Shopping Center at the end of the MacDonald bridge did good business. It wasn't hurt by the fact that the Halifax electric trolley line crossed the bridge and had its terminal in the DSC lot. There was a Dominion grocery store there (where the Save Easy is now) and a Zellers at the opposite end, roughly where the Shoppers Drug Mart now sits. I remember going there with my parents one time to buy some rollup window shades. Those had to be custom cut to width, a pretty standard thing I gather. The sales clerk didn't know how to do it but paged the guy who could. This fellow appears smoking a large cigar, gets the instructions, clamps the stogie between his teeth and cuts the blinds! Hilarious.

The other big development that occurred in the 60s was the establishment of KMart on Tacoma Drive, where the Sobeys/NSLC is now. That was really out in the sticks at the time but was incredibly busy in its early years. It had discount pricing of a kind that this market apparently had not seen previously. One of the cool things about it was that they had a little food section just past the main doors where you could buy baked goods, some deli items, etc. They had a donut machine there with a window in the side where you could watch the donuts being made - the machine would drop a ring of batter into the hot oil, and a paddle would slowly push it around a circle in the frying oil until it reached a flipper device that would eject it from the machine into a hopper. I think there might also have been a device that flipped them over halfway around. They might not have been the best donuts in the world, but they were sure fresh.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
A couple of memories: despite it being pretty crappy even for the times, the Dartmouth Shopping Center at the end of the MacDonald bridge did good business. It wasn't hurt by the fact that the Halifax electric trolley line crossed the bridge and had its terminal in the DSC lot. There was a Dominion grocery store there (where the Save Easy is now) and a Zellers at the opposite end, roughly where the Shoppers Drug Mart now sits.
I remember there was a lunch counter in that Zellers, with spinning stools. Much fun! I also liked that it was an enclosed Mall at DSC, but I think it was first opened as an outdoor plaza, then later enclosed (only to be turned back into a plaza as it currently stands). This made for an interesting main hall with an elbow turn at its midpoint and a sloped grade from the top (up by Zellers) to the bottom (down by Dominion).

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:23 PM

I remember before Metro Transit, that Hfx and Dart both had their own bus system; there was a #11 bus that went from Scotia square to the Dart Shop. centre; the Dart. drivers could make change for the fare. Between the bus lanes at the dart terminal was a fast food shop.

I remember that when i went to Dal, I lived at the Lord Nelson hotel, a single room for $275/month. I remember going to the Dominion next to the LNH one day to buy apples and Ravi Shankar and his wife were in line next to me buying fruit.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:57 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I remember that when i went to Dal, I lived at the Lord Nelson hotel, a single room for $275/month. I remember going to the Dominion next to the LNH one day to buy apples and Ravi Shankar and his wife were in line next to me buying fruit.
You must have been financially well-off for a student. In 1979, I had a basement, bachelor-style apartment at 5261 Kent Street (a 4 storey apartment building) that cost about $165/month. My memory isn't good enough to remember the address that far back, but I was able to find the building and address with Street View since I remembered the general area (what a great resource all these map services are!).

I remember the time when if you wanted to find a particular news story you would have to read newspapers or scan the TV news (it was always so frustrating to just miss a story on the TV or radio). Now getting any news story on the internet takes just a matter of seconds, or minutes at the most.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I might be mixing things up, but wasn't there an paintball thing in that parking on Quinpool for a brief while? About a decade ago when paintball was new and all the rage?

Incidentally, I remember that subway. I was a real little kid back then and I remember going by it in the car and asking my mom if Halifax had a subway system. Didn't have cable and really didn't watch much tv when I was little (raccoons and fraggles) so I really didn't get exposed to much advertising. To me, subways were for trains and had nothing to do with sandwiches! Funny to look back on now given that HRM won't even consider light rail!
Yes, splatshot indoor paintball was locatede there for a short period , until the owners got into legal trouble I belive, but not 100% on that. I remember it was also an indoor skateboard park as I spent all my time as a youth out skateboading and still do at 30 it was quite the nice park,very profesional as well, but it went bankrupt and the ramps were sold off ,I belive Truro bought them(cheap) and put them outside where expensive wood ramps do not belong.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:40 AM

I remember when forest fires in Quebec turned the sky completely orange and black , it looked like the appocalypse was here, also it was the last day of school before summer vaccation that woulda been a terrible day for the world to end.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:03 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
I remember when forest fires in Quebec turned the sky completely orange and black , it looked like the appocalypse was here, also it was the last day of school before summer vaccation that woulda been a terrible day for the world to end.
I remember that, I was 5 years old and did think that the world was going to end. Vivid memory of being on North Street and looking up.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
You must have been financially well-off for a student. In 1979, I had a basement, bachelor-style apartment at 5261 Kent Street (a 4 storey apartment building) that cost about $165/month. My memory isn't good enough to remember the address that far back, but I was able to find the building and address with Street View since I remembered the general area (what a great resource all these map services are!).

I remember the time when if you wanted to find a particular news story you would have to read newspapers or scan the TV news (it was always so frustrating to just miss a story on the TV or radio). Now getting any news story on the internet takes just a matter of seconds, or minutes at the most.
'House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.'

not really well off, just ate apples and peanut butter, lost 30 pounds in four months. Did you have any floors in that place on Kent? $165, wow

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:10 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZET View Post
'House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.'

not really well off, just ate apples and peanut butter, lost 30 pounds in four months. Did you have any floors in that place on Kent? $165, wow
It was an actual apartment building at 5261 Kent Street (probably built in the mid 1900's) at $165/month where I lived in 1979/1980 (university year). Here is the Street View link. It was fairly good and had no rats. It was on the ground floor/basement with a separate door directly to the outdoors.

In 1978 I lived for a few months in a rooming house on Cogswell Street (the green house) - link for $15/week which had no rats just rat poison under the hot water radiators. Then for the second half of the university year I lived in a 2nd floor flat on Almon Street for $145/month (with very little water pressure and a few rats that would chew into my cereal boxes until I started keeping all my food in the fridge - if only I had a cat at the time).

My best apartment while attending university was in 1977/78 on the 16th floor of Fenwick Towers with two other students in a 3 person apartment (I forget how much the rent was). My first year 1976/77 was good also being in the Dalhousie dormitory - Howe Hall (I think Cameron House). PS: I think that it was actually Smith house - the western wing along Coburg Street.

Last edited by fenwick16; May 31, 2011 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:58 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZET View Post

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 3:00 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I remember that, I was 5 years old and did think that the world was going to end. Vivid memory of being on North Street and looking up.
Yeah it was late June 1991... just shy of 20 years ago now!
I was working that summer in downtown Saint John, and I remember that it was a hot day and they had to shut down the air conditioning in public buildings because they didn't want to draw the smoke in so the buildings were stupidly hot and muggy.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

76/77 I was in Howe Hall, 3rd floor Henderson for 4 months, and then had an attic apt on Brenton st for 4 months. There was photo studio at the other end of Brenton; Sherman Hines. He also had a studio on Brunswick st, an old house next to the dutch church that had beautiful stained glass in the door.

Last edited by JET; May 31, 2011 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

76/77 I was in Howe Hall, 3rd floor Henderson for 4 months, and then had an attic apt on Brenton st for 4 months. There was photo studio at the other end of Brenton; Sherman Hines. He also had a studio on Brunswick st, an old house next to the dutch church that had beautiful stained glass in the door.
Howe Hall is a great place for first year students being right on campus, and since it has a large cafeteria students won't go hungry. Dalhousie University is a very scenic university in a great setting (south-end Halifax).

I think I said the wrong dormitory house though - I think now that it was actually Smith House. It was the wing on the right in the picture below which I now think is Smith House (directly on Coburg Street on the west side of Howe Hall).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:35 PM

I remember when they were building the trade centre and there was the plywood perimeter with a hole that you could look in. Beside the hole someone had written: "Uniters of the world, WORK." Funny

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 4:54 PM

I remember E.T playing at the Hyland Theatre at the Armdale Rotary; the Quinpool McDonald's being THE place to go as one of the only McDonald's in Hfx; I remember when the parking garage for Simpsons (the Bay) now (?) was built and I thought the whole building was odd as it looked pink!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 5:35 PM

I remember going Christmas shopping with my grandmother @ the Eatons in MicMac Mall, and when the Coles there, was the book store for the area. I also remember the Downtown Dartmouth Natal Day festivities, the Moosehead Grand Prix, and when Admiral Westphal was a rival Jr. High.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolopiccollo View Post
I remember E.T playing at the Hyland Theatre at the Armdale Rotary; the Quinpool McDonald's being THE place to go as one of the only McDonald's in Hfx; I remember when the parking garage for Simpsons (the Bay) now (?) was built and I thought the whole building was odd as it looked pink!
jolopiccollo; welcome to the forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues