HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Who said it will have an observation deck? I've never heard that. It's also completely an office tower with no residential element. Are you sure you aren't confusing this Pelli tower with the SOM proposal?
Whoops lol.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:38 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted:

Quote:
Unlike the version of the plan that was selected with fanfare in 2007, this one has no obvious public link between the plaza at the tower's base and the 5.4 acre park that will sit atop the new Transbay Terminal next door, 70 feet in the air.

----

The one direct connection between the tower and City Park would be a fifth-floor bridge. Other than that, the only way to reach the park on opening day in 2017 will be from within the transit center.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN231NKVL4.DTL

Very disappointing. People aren't going to want to go through the transit center or the transit tower to get to that park. There needs to be a direct entrance from street level, or most people will never find a way in.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:28 PM
DENNAB

why is that dissapointing?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Seriously?

"Very disappointing. People aren't going to want to go through the transit center or the transit tower to get to that park. There needs to be a direct entrance from street level, or most people will never find a way in."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:37 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with you. I thought those funicular things were somewhat cheesy and gimmicky (a tribute to the cable cars I'm guessing?), and looked like they would be less efficient than simple stairs and escalators. The fact that you need to go through the building to get to the roof shouldn't be much of a problem, though having access from the outside too would be better. What's the worst case scenario? The park is slightly less crowded on average? I'm pretty sure it will be a popular place regardless for nearby office workers, residents, people waiting for trains/buses, tourists, etc.

edit: On second thought, it would be kind of confusing for many tourists I think...but my point is I think the park will still see plenty of use.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 6:16 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
Seriously?

"Very disappointing. People aren't going to want to go through the transit center or the transit tower to get to that park. There needs to be a direct entrance from street level, or most people will never find a way in."

I still fail to understand how entering the park directly from the street rather than cutting through a building is dissapointing. Either way, you enter the park. I don't really think that merits the word "dissapointing."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 7:49 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
I have to agree with you. I thought those funicular things were somewhat cheesy and gimmicky (a tribute to the cable cars I'm guessing?), and looked like they would be less efficient than simple stairs and escalators. The fact that you need to go through the building to get to the roof shouldn't be much of a problem, though having access from the outside too would be better. What's the worst case scenario? The park is slightly less crowded on average? I'm pretty sure it will be a popular place regardless for nearby office workers, residents, people waiting for trains/buses, tourists, etc.

edit: On second thought, it would be kind of confusing for many tourists I think...but my point is I think the park will still see plenty of use.
I'm not concerned if the funicular is included or not, but I think not creating direct access to the park from that plaza (be it stairs, ramps, funicular or whatever) is a missed opportunity -- a pretty serious one at that. That should be the grand entrance to the park, IMO. However, we have to remember that there will be a street-level access point on the far corner (by 2nd and Howard) so not everyone will have to go through the center itself or the tower. Unless of course that part of the plan has been changed as well.

I'll admit, I'm warming up to the design a little after seeing those two detailed views that 1977 posted. It should be an attractive and high quality building, and I can be happy with that even if I prefer what might have been. Someone on Socketsite brought up the idea of adding an observation deck. I wish they would consider that, and a restaurant too. They could add a couple more floors and keep the same overall height, then the crown wouldn't seem like such an artificial attempt to make the building appear taller (that's a pet peeve of mine).

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I still fail to understand how entering the park directly from the street rather than cutting through a building is dissapointing. Either way, you enter the park. I don't really think that merits the word "dissapointing."
it's a barrier to entry

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 8:38 PM

I am very worried with the recent comments against the building on this thread recently. If everyone thought like them people would have never went past the stone age.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:43 AM
DENNAB

^What do you mean?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:51 AM

Quote:
^What do you mean?
The passing through the skyscraper to get to the park, the it won't be an icon thing. It's negative and I don't like it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 10:55 PM

If you have street-level entrances, the public can just stumble upon them and wander in. Entrances inside the terminal and tower mean that unless you have business in one of those buildings are specifically heading for the park, you're not just going to wander up there on a whim.

It'll get plenty of use without a street-level access, but not as much as if it did have one. You'll lose most of the random people who don't know of its existence, and being 50 feet in the air that'll be a fair number of people.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
If you have street-level entrances, the public can just stumble upon them and wander in. Entrances inside the terminal and tower mean that unless you have business in one of those buildings are specifically heading for the park, you're not just going to wander up there on a whim.

It'll get plenty of use without a street-level access, but not as much as if it did have one. You'll lose most of the random people who don't know of its existence, and being 50 feet in the air that'll be a fair number of people.
Exactly. Who builds a public park and hides it from the public?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

A construction update (albeit from an old phone):

I found this interesting because you can see how the train box fans open on the western end to allow the trains to make the final turn into the station. That corner to the left of the shot sits on the far side of Natoma's old path.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
A construction update (albeit from an old phone):

I found this interesting because you can see how the train box fans open on the western end to allow the trains to make the final turn into the station. That corner to the left of the shot sits on the far side of Natoma's old path.
Thanks Peanut Gallery! It's great to see so much construction around town again.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

So true! I was counting cranes the other day and lost count just around MB, SOMA and the greater Civic Center area. I'm really happy for everyone in the construction business. I know it was tough for a lot of them for a long time.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:13 PM

Great news for office development:
San Francisco leads the nation in commercial rent growth

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...s-decline.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:00 AM

Here's a few shots taken on my phone this afternoon from a conference room in my office on 2nd x mission. you can see the most interesting action is right at the western edge. those large pipes that are diagonal are below ground level, but it looks like that structure they are building above them is just about at ground level. its hard to say from sure, as i haven't seen it up close.

well, it turns out i'm an idiot, or for some other unexplained reason cannot seem to properly embed photos...anyway, here are the links to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79204353@N05/6946102818

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79204353@N05/6946103048

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79204353@N05/6946103238/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79204353@N05/6946103368/

Last edited by jbm; Apr 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:10 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice shots, jbm. That's an interesting vantage point. Looks like you'll have a decent view of Foundry Square III as well. I worked in FSIV for years, waiting for the day they'd start that and the terminal. It figures: I change buildings and all this stuff starts!

I can post them inline or you:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:27 AM

thanks. i was following the instructions on posting images, but for some reason they were not appearing on my screen. just blank below the text.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development