HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:42 PM
TL;DR

^ Agreed that the design of Jung is very underwhelming. The second round of furnishings was an improvement but still definitely not world-class design IMO in either contemporary or traditional. Plenty of other hotels in the city have been killing it, heck even the Hyatt Regency built that dope spiral stair when they renovated a few years back. I can't speak for NOPSI, but I doubt the patio will ever look like the Bulldog, it's hard to get a lush green when surrounded by highrises on all sides.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Agreed that the design of Jung is very underwhelming. The second round of furnishings was an improvement but still definitely not world-class design IMO in either contemporary or traditional. Plenty of other hotels in the city have been killing it, heck even the Hyatt Regency built that dope spiral stair when they renovated a few years back. I can't speak for NOPSI, but I doubt the patio will ever look like the Bulldog, it's hard to get a lush green when surrounded by highrises on all sides.
NOPSI has nothing to do with Jaeger but my concern is the guy has been buying properties and not finishing them out. The Jung isnt finished, he hasnt started on 1630 Canal or Plaza Tower, he owns the power plant and is part of the convention center development team, and now hes a part of the Matthews SOuthwest team for Old Charity. Its a lot on someones plate judging from The Jung...he still doesnt even have the rooftop signs on The Jung yet

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:00 PM
TL;DR

Just because he's on a development team doesn't mean he oversees every aspect. The design of the project is probably one of the last things he's concerned about, he exists mainly to broker deals between his out-of-town partners and local politicians, contractors, unions, etc because that's how NOLA works. He's basically just a fixer who stands to pocket a very nice cut when all is said and done.

For those projects where he is part of a larger team, I expect the design will be dictated by the out-of-town partner, Matthews in a few cases, and whoever they select for their design team.

Agreed that the projects he does himself, sans an out-of-town partner, are pretty meh...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:21 PM
-

Quote:
Just because he's on a development team doesn't mean he oversees every aspect. The design of the project is probably one of the last things he's concerned about, he exists mainly to broker deals between his out-of-town partners and local politicians, contractors, unions, etc because that's how NOLA works. He's basically just a fixer who stands to pocket a very nice cut when all is said and done.

For those projects where he is part of a larger team, I expect the design will be dictated by the out-of-town partner, Matthews in a few cases, and whoever they select for their design team.

Agreed that the projects he does himself, sans an out-of-town partner, are pretty meh...
this just isnt true if you know people who work with him.. hes a micromanager in the extreme.. i hear from people that he does projects with.. trust me hes not just a money man... hes involved in everything down to decor or lack there of

for example the Joy Theatre was losing money for years because he wouldnt allow anyone else to rent the theatre out... finally his partners convinced him to change that and the theatre is doing very well

that said Im hopeful his partnerships with Matthews Southwest means better things than what Ive seen from The Jung so far.. remember the Jung was heavily funded by the EB5 program too so he does have investors in that project as well.. they are just all smaller investors with not much of a say in anything

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
this just isnt true if you know people who work with him.. hes a micromanager in the extreme.. i hear from people that he does projects with.. trust me hes not just a money man... hes involved in everything down to decor or lack there of

for example the Joy Theatre was losing money for years because he wouldnt allow anyone else to rent the theatre out... finally his partners convinced him to change that and the theatre is doing very well

that said Im hopeful his partnerships with Matthews Southwest means better things than what Ive seen from The Jung so far.. remember the Jung was heavily funded by the EB5 program too so he does have investors in that project as well.. they are just all smaller investors with not much of a say in anything
couldnt agree more. Everything i have been told from employees and partners corroborates that he is an epic micromanager. If there were plants and landscaping planned for the outdoor spaces at the Jung that arent there by opening, you can be nearly 100% certain that is because Joe changed his mind on the plants 6 times and/or wanted to make 5 iterations to the landscape design plans.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
couldnt agree more. Everything i have been told from employees and partners corroborates that he is an epic micromanager. If there were plants and landscaping planned for the outdoor spaces at the Jung that arent there by opening, you can be nearly 100% certain that is because Joe changed his mind on the plants 6 times and/or wanted to make 5 iterations to the landscape design plans.
When the jung was under renovation an electrician there told me he changed all the rooms to something else that he just saw in a hotel room in Tokyo like the week before so yeah hes in charge of everything

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
It's my understanding that this project is hopelessly underwater. Have you heard anything different?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 7:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
It's my understanding that this project is hopelessly underwater. Have you heard anything different?
Im guessing it is... but theres a value there even in a fire sale... i think Investar was the financing bank for this? looks like a nice enough design though

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Any word on this moving forward? They started construction years ago and than just stopped. Did it change hands?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Any word on this moving forward? They started construction years ago and than just stopped. Did it change hands?
Not a thibg! Kind of a strange situation! Construction has def aropped but nothing says its for sale or anything either

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 8:45 PM

Convention Center Plans

There's a more detailed rundown of the Convention Center's 5-year plan, including a few new (?) renderings. It says the transit center will start construction in August, the linear park should start construction this year, and they'll be building smaller meeting spaces into the center as well.

https://www.nola.com/expo/news/erry-...ans_conve.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:38 PM
-

At least we finally know for sure that the linear park will run all the way to poydras.. think thats key as a real connector..still hope they have little cutouts for ride share drop offs all along the street too... otherwise will be a lot of stop and go unless there are plenty of dedicated stopping/loading zones

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 6:42 PM
-

MSY North Terminal Photos

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:51 PM
-

Permanent Canal Pumps

Final link in New Orleans-area flood defense completed, creating 'most robust' system in city's history

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:59 PM
-

The Eliza Jane

History paid homage at CBD's Eliza Jane hotel

http://www.travelweekly.com/North-Am...iza-Jane-hotel

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:16 AM
TL;DR

^ See, now that's what a well-designed hotel should look like these days...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:

I agree.

For what it's worth, not every new hotel needs to resemble a trendy blog post, but when I hear that Jaeger or Kailas is managing partner on a project, I know to lower my expectations.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
I agree.

For what it's worth, not every new hotel needs to resemble a trendy blog post, but when I hear that Jaeger or Kailas is managing partner on a project, I know to lower my expectations.
well to be fair to Kailas they have actually stepped their game up.. Four Winds is nice and Im sure the Hard Rock will be beautiful (though Hard rock is in full control)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:35 PM
-

Quote:
like someone hired a professional and they had a concept and they executed it! who knew? lol

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 3:09 PM
-

2619-2629 Tchoupitoulas St·Conditional Use · Project #ZD067-18 · Ref Code: MNWAJB
Download (22) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Conditional Use
Applicant:
Tchoup Party Stop LLC
Staff Report
Date Filed:
3/19/2018
Closed:
No
Description
ZONING DOCKET 067/18 – Request by Tchoup Party Stop, LLC for a conditional use to permit a mini-warehouse in an MU-1 Medium Intensity Mixed-Use District and an HU-MU Neighborhood Mixed-Use District and an EC Enhancement Corridor Design Overlay District, on Square 24, Lots 4-A or A-3, B-2, 4, W, D or 25, Pt. 27 or 26, Pt. 27 or 27, and 28, in the Fourth Municipal District, bounded by Tchoupitoulas Street, Third Street, Fourth Street, and Rousseau Street. The municipal addresses are 2619-2629 Tchoupitoulas Street, 412-418 Third Street, and 2612-2630 Rousseau Street. (PD 2)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations