HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 8:32 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Opening Day

[IMG]Salesforce Transit Center and Rooftop Park Grand Opening by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Salesforce Transit Center and Rooftop Park Grand Opening by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

I see that there doesn't seem to be much "Salesforce" etched in stone if you will. That's probably a smart move considering I'd give the naming rights about ten years before it just goes back to being known as Transbay, which it already will be for much of the population.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:24 PM

^^ Nice photos viewguysf!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I see that there doesn't seem to be much "Salesforce" etched in stone if you will. That's probably a smart move considering I'd give the naming rights about ten years before it just goes back to being known as Transbay, which it already will be for much of the population.
I believe the deal was $110mil for 25 years.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 6:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

Ugh

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 7:35 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
Exactly. Who builds a public park and hides it from the public?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
If you have street-level entrances, the public can just stumble upon them and wander in. Entrances inside the terminal and tower mean that unless you have business in one of those buildings are specifically heading for the park, you're not just going to wander up there on a whim.

It'll get plenty of use without a street-level access, but not as much as if it did have one. You'll lose most of the random people who don't know of its existence, and being 50 feet in the air that'll be a fair number of people.
I was thinking of this ongoing discussion from 2012, when there were numerous posts about park access, the funicular (now gondola), and the park not being well used. I never thought that would be a problem and now think we have a destination place, similar to but different from, Manhattan’s High Line. It’s going to be a knock out, including the gondola.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 7:40 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Ugh
The name is utterly irrelevant as long as the Center and Park are well maintained. Come experience it and you’ll see what a treasure it all is. Salesforce is a positive force for San Francisco, even though none of us are particularly fond of corporate naming rights.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The name is utterly irrelevant as long as the Center and Park are well maintained. Come experience it and you’ll see what a treasure it all is. Salesforce is a positive force for San Francisco, even though none of us are particularly fond of corporate naming rights.

Thank you so much for posting those beautiful pictures. I no longer live in SF so I'm grateful to get to experience the city through posts here. You did a great job of expressing the feel of the new park and terminal. I think it's a wonderful addition to the city.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 10:19 PM

Amazing pictures!

I tried to check out the park yesterday, but it was at capacity, and the line was around the block. I really believe this is going to be a huge attraction for locals and tourists alike.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Amazing pictures!

I tried to check out the park yesterday, but it was at capacity, and the line was around the block. I really believe this is going to be a huge attraction for locals and tourists alike.
Exactly. I will definitely use it for running before and after work.

I'm planning to make a "walk through" video of 1 lap of the park for anyone that's interested. I'll be using my stabilizer so the footage will be smooth.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 10:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
I get it, I just wish they had gone the "TT sponsored by..." or "TT brought to you by..." route instead of a private corporation completely renaming this admittedly impressive piece of public infrastructure, a civic temple in many ways, and disposing of decades of colloquial familiarity, even if it isn't the original structure. That's my opinion and while to most the argument that it really makes little difference and few care may seem convincing, I still feel it is a mistake to engage in a corporate sponsorship [naming rights] of a public transportation facility of this scale (or any scale) and cannot get around the fact that it just feels icky and sets a somewhat disturbing precedent, at least to me.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Exactly. I will definitely use it for running before and after work.

I'm planning to make a "walk through" video of 1 lap of the park for anyone that's interested. I'll be using my stabilizer so the footage will be smooth.
Please do - your last video was awesome!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
My guess is Saleforce doesn't care too much what the terminal is called. What they wanted and got was some control over its security and maintenance so they can keep something so integral to their tower from becoming a homeless hangout and being trashed.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of this ongoing discussion from 2012, when there were numerous posts about park access, the funicular (now gondola), and the park not being well used. I never thought that would be a problem and now think we have a destination place, similar to but different from, Manhattan’s High Line. It’s going to be a knock out, including the gondola.
Let's wait a few months to a year. Part of how well used it may be will involve the rental of the commercial spaces and so far that isn't going well (probably because the potential tenants aren't too sure about foot traffic either).

Right now it's a new wonder that everybody, inclduing me, wants to see. I even had a friend who does not share my fascination with development and tall buildings (let's call him a dedicated NIMBY) asked me about it with interest. But once they've seen it, a lot of these people may or may not ever be back.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 12:14 AM

Looks really nice. Glad to see that it finally opened. What is the timeline for the rail component? Isn't it essentially a glorified bus station at the moment?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 12:56 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Let's wait a few months to a year. Part of how well used it may be will involve the rental of the commercial spaces and so far that isn't going well (probably because the potential tenants aren't too sure about foot traffic either).

Right now it's a new wonder that everybody, inclduing me, wants to see. I even had a friend who does not share my fascination with development and tall buildings (let's call him a dedicated NIMBY) asked me about it with interest. But once they've seen it, a lot of these people may or may not ever be back.
There will be no problem with this. The retail space is 43% locked up (including the largest space for the gym), with discussions for every space underway. This is before the blowout two days of visitors we have seen before the first weekday service has even started. I have seen a remarkable change in foot traffic, especially during the weekends, in this area in just six months of living down here. Even now as I look out my apt window at the park with Karl having arrived it is incredible how many people are out there.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:01 AM

How do electric trolley buses navigate it? Are there overhead power lines on the ceilings of the bus teminal?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
How do electric trolley buses navigate it? Are there overhead power lines on the ceilings of the bus teminal?
Yes--you can see them here--but not excactly on the cieling and on the ground level only:

My photo

If you aren't familiar with Bay Area transit, be aware only Muni in the city uses electric trolleys. The diesel and/or hybrid busses that AC transit and others will use the second deck of the center don't need overhead electric lines.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
There will be no problem with this. The retail space is 43% locked up (including the largest space for the gym), with discussions for every space underway. This is before the blowout two days of visitors we have seen before the first weekday service has even started. I have seen a remarkable change in foot traffic, especially during the weekends, in this area in just six months of living down here. Even now as I look out my apt window at the park with Karl having arrived it is incredible how many people are out there.
Given the turnover even at someplace like Embarcadero Center, I think it's rash to make predictions about this terminal. I agree there's heavy foot traffic in the area from people working there--many of them at Salesforce it seems from overheard conversations--and many living there in the new towers, but there are plenty of food options on surrounding streets that don't require entering the terminal or going to upper levels. Even if they fill up the retail options now, doesn't mean there won't be high turnover and a future problem. Besides Embarcadero, I'm reminded of the problem keeping retail in the downtown Muni stations which had some when I first came to San Francisco but eventually it all closed up. Those stations are very crowded.

Count me waiting and hoping you turn out to be right.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchicity View Post
Looks really nice. Glad to see that it finally opened. What is the timeline for the rail component? Isn't it essentially a glorified bus station at the moment?
Essentially it is right now with some stores located in the first and second floor in the future.

The rail component is estimated to be finished (if everything is approved) 2028 with CalTrain + High Speed Rail connecting, as well as BART's underground tunnel

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 4:11 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
My guess is Saleforce doesn't care too much what the terminal is called. What they wanted and got was some control over its security and maintenance so they can keep something so integral to their tower from becoming a homeless hangout and being trashed.
I agree and also think that was their main reasoning, though I understand Busy Bee’s thoughts too. The Salesforce Gondola really takes the naming rights and symbols a step further.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development