HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:09 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow, nice job to both of you guys! Tanster, I really like your memorial with the replica twin towers with names engraved, that's a wonderful idea!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:50 AM
i like stuff

i made a plaza for my building 2 but it looks a lot like tansters so now i feel like it would look like im copying but here it is anyway

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:29 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanster View Post
Thats ALL hope you liked my WTC models
Looks like someone had fun with my textures from my New WTC model on 3d warehouse.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:33 AM
Desert Dweller

Wait! Can you please extend the due date, just 1 more day! I just need to add a little bit more to my model, and I need just a little bit more time

Last edited by Patrick; Feb 7, 2007 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Looks like someone had fun with my textures from my New WTC model on 3d warehouse.
your textures I dont even know where i got them

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:23 AM
Desert Dweller

Well they look a lot like my NewWTC model from 3D Warehouse, but your plan still looks great anyways!

So yeah Dac150 please one more day, this has been a very busy week, I did manage to complete the model, but I dont have enough time to make renderings and make a description.

All I have is this preview shot.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:19 AM

Hmmm....I have to say I am impressed. Please allow me to comment...

Tanster, I really like your concept of having a miniaturized replica of the WTC with names engraved in them made of marble. For me that resembles the tomb stone for the tower itself. That's quite a moving yet an ingenius thing to do. I admire the way you have applied plenty of green open space, trees, that allow free movement through space. I am shocked how you have decided to elevate the footprint of the WTC...for me that means something.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about the building designs, I really like your second design (the blue tower) but in the interest of its exterior context I just don't feel it magnifies/personifies/complements the city well enough, something that the original WTC towers did quite effectively. Then again, no tower can really replace the original towers, and so I have to praise you on your efforts. I liken to your idea of having a memorial as a seperate building, and by looking at it, would appear that it attempts to relate itself with the older styles in the city, again linking back to a historical context. Nevertheless I am skeptical about this and I do not feel it works quite well in this instance. With the other buildings again, I am not sure. Another question I asked myself is, what is the purpose of the elevated yellow platform other than to situate an american flag on there? Elements of having the american flag? I feel it is up to the american people to decide on that one. I originally thought it was for sitting on which would have been perfectly fine, until I compared them to the size of the people... Finally, although I respect the way you have used natural elements such as grass and trees, I felt the way you situated them was a little too rigid, and grid like. Even though much of NYC conforms to the grid, it would have been nice to see some curves, some twists, and a lot more natural flows towards the design.

MiKeR, I looked at yours and thought it was Tansters until I saw your name lol. Now seeing that you have used the same idea as Tansters with the tower engravings, all I can really comment on is how I really like the way you have used the element of water. I truly feel that this is extremely effective and it is probably one of the natural elements designers would otherwise forget to use. Water is very, very important... it signifies so many things... Also I see that you have used a... meandering path! Finally I can breathe... Going back to the WTC engravings, it appears that it is made out of glass...if that was your intention then I will comment by saying that it would be a magnificent idea indeed.

Well that is all I have to say in relation to the work that has been presented here sofar. Remember that I'll only comment those I see fit, and I would do it with brute honesty, even to the extreme when necessary.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 2:53 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I'll have an entry in, tomorrow, too.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperar View Post
Hmmm....I have to say I am impressed. Please allow me to comment...

Tanster, I really like your concept of having a miniaturized replica of the WTC with names engraved in them made of marble. For me that resembles the tomb stone for the tower itself. That's quite a moving yet an ingenius thing to do. I admire the way you have applied plenty of green open space, trees, that allow free movement through space. I am shocked how you have decided to elevate the footprint of the WTC...for me that means something.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about the building designs, I really like your second design (the blue tower) but in the interest of its exterior context I just don't feel it magnifies/personifies/complements the city well enough, something that the original WTC towers did quite effectively. Then again, no tower can really replace the original towers, and so I have to praise you on your efforts. I liken to your idea of having a memorial as a seperate building, and by looking at it, would appear that it attempts to relate itself with the older styles in the city, again linking back to a historical context. Nevertheless I am skeptical about this and I do not feel it works quite well in this instance. With the other buildings again, I am not sure. Another question I asked myself is, what is the purpose of the elevated yellow platform other than to situate an american flag on there? Elements of having the american flag? I feel it is up to the american people to decide on that one. I originally thought it was for sitting on which would have been perfectly fine, until I compared them to the size of the people... Finally, although I respect the way you have used natural elements such as grass and trees, I felt the way you situated them was a little too rigid, and grid like. Even though much of NYC conforms to the grid, it would have been nice to see some curves, some twists, and a lot more natural flows towards the design.

MiKeR, I looked at yours and thought it was Tansters until I saw your name lol. Now seeing that you have used the same idea as Tansters with the tower engravings, all I can really comment on is how I really like the way you have used the element of water. I truly feel that this is extremely effective and it is probably one of the natural elements designers would otherwise forget to use. Water is very, very important... it signifies so many things... Also I see that you have used a... meandering path! Finally I can breathe... Going back to the WTC engravings, it appears that it is made out of glass...if that was your intention then I will comment by saying that it would be a magnificent idea indeed.

Well that is all I have to say in relation to the work that has been presented here sofar. Remember that I'll only comment those I see fit, and I would do it with brute honesty, even to the extreme when necessary.
Thats why i put two towers i knew not everybody would like it . The socond tower kind of has a mix of all the actual proposed towers in one

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:38 AM
Desert Dweller

Ok Here is my design.

New York City, needs Twin Towers, its just not New York without them. New York City needs the USA's tallest buildings, Dont you agree?

THE PLAN

North Tower - 1776 Feet High, 121 Floors
South Tower - 1776 Feet High, 121 Floors, Observation Deck
Memorial Center - Museum for Original WTC & 9/11
Transportation Hub - The New Subway Station
5 WTC - Most Southern Tower, not exactly part of the project
6 WTC - Midrise Marriott Hotel which occupies part of the South Tower
7 WTC - Currently Existing Tower

Field - Relaxing Green Field for concerts/festivals/relaxation
Reflecting Pools - In the location of the Original Tower's footprints
Memorial Wall - A huge wall with the names of all who died that day

THE TOWERS

The Two Towers rise 1776 feet high, makeing them the tallest buildings in the USA, well until the Chicago Spire. Both Towers would be 120 Stories High. The North Tower would have an observation deck, like the original.

THE PLAZA

The Footprints of the towers would become huge reflecting pools, with fountians in the middle. Every Tuesday, the middle would shoot bright beams of light torwards the sky, as like they do every September 11th.

A memorial center would be built north of the footprints. There would be several exibits on the Original Towers and 9/11. This way, they would never be forgotten.

Views

Last edited by Patrick; Feb 8, 2007 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:41 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I'll have an entry in, tomorrow, too.
Oh god, I think I already know who won

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:43 AM

wow I like it nice

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 3:50 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Oh god, I think I already know who won
Heh, thanks.

I didn't make any fancy models, though, I think you'll probably take this one.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:00 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow Patrick, amazing job! The towers are beautiful, I love the idea of keeping twins. Also, having pools in the original foundations is an excellent plan!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:37 AM

Patrick... that's absolutely incredible. I totally love the way you've made fountains out of the footprints there, that's brilliant. And probably where other architects have failed, I feel you've made your new twin tower designs stand out very well in relation to the city. Another thing I like is that there's plenty of whiteness and clarity to the concrete ground, I think that's nice. I'd personally make it out of white marble, though it could be fairly blinding in daylight, but whatever. The tomb stone with name engravings is cool, I'd be more inclined to curve it, and make like a doorway (obviously without doors but I am sure you know what I mean) leading and connecting to a new dimension. Or you could simply seperate it in two parts and you can just walk through the middle while looking up to the sky, so you can experience the act of moving through the forms. There's also plenty of space, maybe for a sculpture or two, that is very good.

The Footprints of the towers would become huge reflecting pools, with fountians in the middle. Every Tuesday, the middle would shoot bright beams of light torwards the sky, as like they do every September 11th.

^^ Masterpiece *thumbs up* PS. Will water come shooting out simultaneously with the light? I'd really, REALLY like that

There are a few problems that startle me which I would certainly like to point out. One is, why on earth would you have 5 possibly more, megawide, giant visual advertisement screens attached to the sides of the memorial center!? To me, that doesn't make sense AT ALL (you'll have to forgive me however for my pessimistic view on the media), and having that next to a place where thousands died could be considered slightly out of order there perhaps even disrespectful, and even if it is to good cause, for example showing the history of NY, the WTC, how it was destroyed, etcetc...it just wouldn't by my cup of tea. Secondly, although I quite like the style of the twin towers which match superbly wth the rest of the city they just seem to repeat themselves in the other buildings, perhaps it would be nice just to tweak it a bit and give the other buildings a lttle more flavour by varying the styles in relation to the twin towers. Third and lastly, the rooftops of the lower buildings could also do with a little more whipped cream to them, with extra spice. GREY tops are a big, big problem for me (infact anything grey is a problem for me), but that's just me. Apart from that everything is ace!

Last edited by Imperar; Feb 8, 2007 at 8:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 1:27 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperar View Post
^^ Masterpiece *thumbs up* PS. Will water come shooting out simultaneously with the light? I'd really, REALLY like that

There are a few problems that startle me which I would certainly like to point out. One is, why on earth would you have 5 possibly more, megawide, giant visual advertisement screens attached to the sides of the memorial center!? To me, that doesn't make sense AT ALL
In the center squares the lights would shoot up, as well as beams of water, but they would only go up 50 feet or so.

And those arent advertisment screens. Those are huge museum like posters of the World Trade Center. They would be changed, depending on the main exibit. Some would be electronic screens, showing aerials of New York before 9/11, but those would face torwards West Street, so they dont distract from the memorial plaza.

And thanks guys!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 2:53 PM

Quote:
In the center squares the lights would shoot up, as well as beams of water, but they would only go up 50 feet or so.
You sir, have made my day.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 4:52 PM
Senior Committee

This is my entry.

My main idea was to design something that symbolized the regrowth of the city.

Height 800m
100 floors
Roof tops out at 400m.

Looking up:

Last edited by John Hinds; Feb 8, 2007 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 6:51 PM

The concept is fascinating, if only we had the technology to construct this structural craziness. I don't think it suits the city very much either. I like the idea of regrowth, but I am sure it would pose too much challenge to build let alone so much of the space is wasted to the urban leaves that seem to flap outwards and have no inherent practical use apart from being looked at by an observer. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't appeal to me in this case related to the competition, it is just far from having the ability to be realised.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:54 PM
World Machine

And the Winner is..................

Patrick

Everyone, job well done and thank you to all who submitted entries. Congrads Patrick; your design was well thought out and it blended well with the city. Thanks for coming through with an excellant design!

This thread can still keep going allowing people to submit their designs for fun and viewing pleasure. Thank you everybody and good job!

-Dac150

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art