HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 7:28 PM

All of these pictures have passed the commons. There is no issue with copyright. Permission has been granted according to a friend. i guess we'll see what happens

Last edited by Peter_johnns; Jul 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 11:53 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_johnns View Post
All of these pictures have passed the commons. There is no issue with copyright. Permission has been granted according to a friend. i guess we'll see what happens
Your image already has a warning that it will be removed in a week...

You need to have direct written permission from the owner of each image in order to use them, so I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no issue with copyright". The only way there is no issue is if you took all the pictures yourself and therefore have the right to release them to public domain.

Unless the images you used are taken by "amateur" photographers or their copyright is expired (over 100 years old I think) then you most likely will not convince the copyright holder to release the image to public domain.

As I said before your best bet is to simply take your own pictures and use them

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 9:43 AM

FYI these are images that are available on Flickr released under a Wikipedia-compatible free license

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sain...0&mt=all&adv=1

But still it's probably less hassle to just take the photos yourself and release them to the public domain.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:45 AM

Surprised nobody has made a post about the (negative) press the city is receiving for booking Chris Brown at Harbour Station.

If I wanted to go see a toolbox I'd go to Home Depot.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 1:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Surprised nobody has made a post about the (negative) press the city is receiving for booking Chris Brown at Harbour Station.

Fairly certain that the municipality did not book Brown for the concert itself but rather the promoter and the facility.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:29 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post

No such thing as bad publicity

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:48 PM

From CBC
Saint John moves closer to $100M development deal
Development deal for old Coast Guard site could be announced in a few weeks

Saint John plans waterfront redevelopment

A major waterfront development deal could be announced in the next few weeks, according to the general manager of Saint John Waterfront Development.A major waterfront development deal could be announced in the next few weeks, according to the general manager of Saint John Waterfront Development. (CBC)
Saint John is closing in on a development deal that could be worth an estimated $100 million on the former Coast Guard site, according to the general manager of Saint John Waterfront Development.

Kent MacIntyre said he expects an announcement with a major Canadian developer will be made in the next few weeks.

The commercial and residential development will be located on the 2.4-hectare property, which is now known as Fundy Quay.

He said the property tax revenue from the development will be worth more than $1 million a year once it is complete.

Pending that announcement, the city will be asked to invest $200,000 for an environmental cleanup and seawall repair to prepare the old Coast Guard site for the developers.

"They weren't interested in an environmental cleanup, they weren't interested in the seawall. They said look, ‘You just give us a buildable site, we'll come to your city and build,'" MacIntyre said.

"So part of presenting them with a buildable site was presenting them with a site that did not have the contamination issues."

An environmental study earlier this year showed some on-site contamination. MacIntyre said he expects the cleanup costs to be less than $1 million.

He said the pending deal will also see the city keep ownership of the seawall. But the struction requires roughly $3.5 million worth of upgrades.

There have been plans for a major development on the former Coast Guard site for several years.

Saint John purchased the prime waterfront property from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans for $2.8 million in 2011.

The city completed payments on the site in 2012 and there was discussion of a pending commercial and residential deal at that time.

Coast Guard moving
The Coast Guard says it's planning to move its offices and helicopter pad from Saint John's waterfront as the announcement of the development deal draws closer.

Stephen Bornais, a Coast Guard spokesperson, said the organization is actively trying to find a new home.

"We're looking at a number of locations in the greater Saint John area," Bornais said.

The proposed development project will be built over several years, giving the Coast Guard time to relocate its offices.

The Coast Guard’s lease agreement runs until 2017.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:49 PM

Harper announced he is cutting Saint John's coast guard weeks ago. How can a port city not have a coast guard?? It's ludicrous

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:05 PM

LOL I had dejavu when I saw the headline. It was Oct last year Ken said an announcement was "imminent" within weeks - and that was the second carrot in that year. Here's hoping this announcement will come to fruition seeing how its been going on since 2005.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
LOL I had dejavu when I saw the headline. It was Oct last year Ken said an announcement was "imminent" within weeks - and that was the second carrot in that year. Here's hoping this announcement will come to fruition seeing how its been going on since 2005.
Markets have always dictated when Fundy Quay will happen. Perhaps in anticipation of the pipeline developers have been taking more initiative

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
in anticipation of the pipeline
Quick the city is about to lose more jobs, lets invest!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Markets have always dictated when Fundy Quay will happen. Perhaps in anticipation of the pipeline developers have been taking more initiative
Hard to imagine that the timing of the two projects is not linked. The pipeline and the investment around that is going to generate a large number of jobs and should bring a significant number of new folks to the region. Seems like a good time to build a new residential complex to me.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Hard to imagine that the timing of the two projects is not linked. The pipeline and the investment around that is going to generate a large number of jobs and should bring a significant number of new folks to the region. Seems like a good time to build a new residential complex to me.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Hear, hear

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Fairly certain that the municipality did not book Brown for the concert itself but rather the promoter and the facility.
You know what I mean

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:06 PM

CALGARY – The economics of TransCanada Corp.’s plan to send Alberta crude as far as Canada’s east coast are “compelling,” a Scotiabank commodities analyst says.

Patricia Mohr said the proposal, which could send up to 850,000 barrels of oil a day along portions of TransCanada’s cross-country mainline natural gas system beginning in 2017, would open up valuable new outlets for Alberta and Saskatchewan crude oil in Eastern Canada and in export markets via tanker shipments from Quebec City and Saint John, N.B.

TransCanada last week said it expects to finalize agreements with prospective shippers backing the conversion of parts of its 14,000-kilometre mainline system to carry oil in the next two weeks. The pipeline could ship crude as far as the east coast by 2018, the company has said.

Initial flows along the pipeline, dubbed Energy East, would likely comprise light oil or upgraded synthetic crude from Alberta’s oil sands, displacing imports priced off more expensive Brent crude into Quebec refineries owned by Suncor Energy Inc. and Valero, Ms. Mohr said in a report.

Transportation costs, known in the industry as tolls, on Energy East to Quebec would be approximately $6 a barrel and $7 to Saint John, compared to $5 a barrel on Kinder Morgan’s expanded Trans Mountain system and $6 to $8 a barrel from Alberta to Texas, she said.

Related

TransCanada’s Energy East pipeline closer to reality as shippers back project
Keystone XL critics claim pipeline will cause four times the emissions than previously estimated
“Had the pipeline [Energy East] been available in the first half of 2013, the cost of Edmonton Par crude from Alberta delivered to Montreal/Quebec City would have been US$14.85 per barrel cheaper than imported Brent,” Ms. Mohr said.

TransCanada has yet to disclose the economics of Energy East, but Ms. Mohr said greater access to supplies of domestic crude would improve the financial viability of current refineries and “could eventually encourage development of a larger domestic refining industry in Quebec and Atlantic Canada.”

The refining sector in the Atlantic basin has struggled in recent years amid overcapacity and high prices for imported crude. Imperial Oil Ltd. earlier this year said it would close its 88,000-barrel-a-day refinery in Darmouth, N.S., eliminating nearly 400 jobs, after it failed to find a buyer for the plant.

Ms. Mohr noted refiners in India are interested in importing Alberta blended bitumen. She estimated tanker charges from Quebec City and Saint John to India’s west coast average US$4.20 per barrel in a Suezmaz vessel.

A marine terminal at Saint John would be ice-free year-round, she added, and could accommodate very large crude carriers of 350,000 deadweight tonnes, a reference to the cargo carrying capacity of a vessel. The larger ships would cut transport costs to India to US$3 a barrel, she said.

Assuming a US$3 per barrel quality discount, Western Canada Select, the heavy oil marker in Alberta, “could have earned a much higher price in India than actually received” in the first half of 2013 based on the price of Saudi Arabian heavy crude delivered to India, she said.

Oil prices in Alberta have strengthened as new pipelines and continued rail shipments clear a supply glut at the storage of hub of Cushing, Okla.

Ms. Mohr predicted prices for WCS would jump to US$90 per barrel in July, up from US$75.41 in June. The Alberta heavy blend would average US$89 in the third quarter, compared to US$62.37 in the first quarter, she said. For the year, WCS prices should average US$78, from US$73.21 last year.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 12:28 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Welp, my crappy phone botched this skyline photo, but I'll post it anyway. Next time I'll remember to take a real camera with me when I go out, haha.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 2:52 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Welp, my crappy phone botched this skyline photo, but I'll post it anyway. Next time I'll remember to take a real camera with me when I go out, haha.

Still a nice pic...thx for posting it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 3:04 AM

Flew out of Saint John this evening and managed to get a clear view over Uptown on my phone.

Instagram Link: http://instagram.com/p/caEnlZrMY7/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:59 PM

Google Earth

New images of the Saint John Area are now up on Google Earth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces