HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:34 AM

I think this would technically be Lakeview (on Broadway) I was riding North up to that other highrise construction thing south of Rogers Park and completely forgot Walmart was moving into this building.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:40 AM
TL;DR

The one at Chicago/Franklin is opening soon, too.

At this point, I don't see how Wal-Mart will be the unbridled evil everyone keeps saying. Walgreens and CVS have already done the "crappy products at dirt-cheap prices" thing. Target has also been welcomed into the city with open arms (their store experience might be nicer but business practices are very similar). Wal-Mart, in fact, is breaking new ground by launching full-on into older, existing spaces and paring down their square footage.

Target for all of their city stores so far has insisted on copious amounts of parking and nearly full-size stores in purpose-built spaces. Sullivan Center, if it ever opens, will be the first one to break this pattern.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The one at Chicago/Franklin is opening soon, too.

At this point, I don't see how Wal-Mart will be the unbridled evil everyone keeps saying. Walgreens and CVS have already done the "crappy products at dirt-cheap prices" thing. Target has also been welcomed into the city with open arms (their store experience might be nicer but business practices are very similar). Wal-Mart, in fact, is breaking new ground by launching full-on into older, existing spaces and paring down their square footage.

Target for all of their city stores so far has insisted on copious amounts of parking and nearly full-size stores in purpose-built spaces. Sullivan Center, if it ever opens, will be the first one to break this pattern.
Well, the unbridled evil has left its path. CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target, whatever....the more densified parts of the city have filled to the brim with chains. I can't say for sure whether it's helped the city or not as far as an increased tax base and new residents. What I do know is the retail scene has become increasingly less diverse.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:29 AM

I find absolutely nothing to dislike about this project. In fact, save for Target moving to the Sullivan center and CVS in the polish triangle bank building, I'm hard pressed to find a more exemplary new project for a national chain in Chicago. Greets the street with active windows, saves a worthwhile building, hell I like it.

Face it, these retailers are a part of modern life. We can either reject them outright and complain or try to encourage them to rethink some of their land use stances. If the choice is between this Walmart Express or the new Walgreens at Irving Park and Sheridan, I know which one I'm choosing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
I find absolutely nothing to dislike about this project. In fact, save for Target moving to the Sullivan center and CVS in the polish triangle bank building, I'm hard pressed to find a more exemplary new project for a national chain in Chicago. Greets the street with active windows, saves a worthwhile building, hell I like it.
Not even the ridiculous amount of signage draped all over the terra cotta facade? Or the huge cheap lit up vinyl Walmart sign facing South? Or yet another surface lot when there is another 200 feet up the street?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:30 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Not even the ridiculous amount of signage draped all over the terra cotta facade? Or the huge cheap lit up vinyl Walmart sign facing South? Or yet another surface lot when there is another 200 feet up the street?
The signage is small and easily removable, both the plaques and the banners. The sign on the side is okay, and the surface lot was pre-existing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Uhhhh ohhhhh!

One block west from my old apartment. I always wished the building could be turned into lofts and the parking lot redeveloped. I guess this looks ok (the windows are nice), but I hadn't realized the conversion was already finished and open. Is the retail only on the first floor? I'm curious what does a Walmart Express sell? Is it clothing? Is it grocery items? Produce? I see a sign for a pharmacy, which probably isn't good news for the Walgreens next door. I wonder if the Walgreens closes, will Walmart attempt to expand into that space as well and create a bigger store (though I'm not sure if the smaller building in between the two is currently in use)?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
The City

While this Walmart Express looks fine, my only true fear here is that Walmart, now having a foothold in good areas of the city, may try to slowly go on a land grab to expand the footprints of their stores. If so, you may see them buying up neighboring buildings and perhaps even demo'ing them for parking lots or ugly suburban-style expansions.

If this were another city I wouldn't be worried as much, but this is Chicago--where property is cheaper, politicians can be bought and the car is king. So lets be wary.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
While this Walmart Express looks fine, my only true fear here is that Walmart, now having a foothold in good areas of the city, may try to slowly go on a land grab to expand the footprints of their stores. If so, you may see them buying up neighboring buildings and perhaps even demo'ing them for parking lots or ugly suburban-style expansions.

If this were another city I wouldn't be worried as much, but this is Chicago--where property is cheaper, politicians can be bought and the car is king. So lets be wary.
I'm pretty sure Walmart is entering most of these locations as a tenant leasing the spaces. I'm not really sure what kind of land grabs you think they might accomplish from that standpoint.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
I don't know how the AMLI River North project could possibly claim that retail space would be difficult to lease. That whole area is possibly the hottest area in the city for clubs/bars, restaurants, or high-end furnishings. If the city demands retail space at that location, that demand is in no way unreasonable. The Clark/Polk project also has proximity to a somewhat successful retail area running down Polk from State.

AMLI 900, on the other hand, is on a particularly barren stretch of Clark St with little pedestrian traffic. I don't think they should be forced to put in retail there. The only way it would work is if the retail was auto-oriented with significant parking provided.

What other projects has AMLI done in the downtown area?

900, River North, and their other planned project on Clark in the S. Loop are the only 3 I can think of, as most of their history has been dominated by suburban, 'garden-style' apartment communities across Chicago's suburbs and other markets nationally (although now they are ramping up diversification into cbd/other urban submarkets). While I certainly agree that one needs consider each project individually in its setting for appropriate/feasible incorporation of retail, my dismay is overwhelmingly about AMLI, and its leaderships' general attitude toward development and dense urban settings, and retail/streetlife components, as conveyed by Putz's comments. Not good, especially considering they currently really like downtown Chicago's prospects for further apartment development. These concerns of mine might come close to my general disgust with the 'architecture' of their projects, which is deplorable.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:18 PM
THAT Guy

It's too bad the top floors are being used for public storage.

Quote:
Target for all of their city stores so far has insisted on...nearly full-size stores...
This is just my opinion, but I think that's what many city dwellers want (huge selection in each product category) and why Target's urban strategy will be more successful. Right now Walmart Express is basically a small grocery store/pharmacy in somewhat inferior locations competing against the likes of Aldi, Trader Joe's, CVS and Walgreens (which is making a push towards fresh groceries/prepared food).

Speaking of which, CVS is opening a large new store in the Century Centre mall on Clark, I guess to compete with the proposed Walgreens flagship across the street. I also heard something about an urban JCPenney in that area but that could just be a baseless rumor.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
900, River North, and their other planned project on Clark in the S. Loop are the only 3 I can think of, as most of their history has been dominated by suburban, 'garden-style' apartment communities across Chicago's suburbs and other markets nationally (although now they are ramping up diversification into cbd/other urban submarkets). While I certainly agree that one needs consider each project individually in its setting for appropriate/feasible incorporation of retail, my dismay is overwhelmingly about AMLI, and its leaderships' general attitude toward development and dense urban settings, and retail/streetlife components, as conveyed by Putz's comments. Not good, especially considering they currently really like downtown Chicago's prospects for further apartment development. These concerns of mine might come close to my general disgust with the 'architecture' of their projects, which is deplorable.
The attitude makes sense. If you're doing hundreds of developments across the country, you become good at identifying waste and cutting it out.

AMLI has decided that retail makes sense, at least for Clark/Polk. AFAIK the city is not requiring it - Burnham Pointe across the street has far more units with no retail.

On the other hand, I can see overzealous planners in Houston or Denver mandating to AMLI that they include retail in an area with very little pedestrian traffic. And, thus far, most of AMLI's projects have been in these (urbanistically speaking) second-tier cities.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 4:32 PM

Quote:
The signage is small and easily removable, both the plaques and the banners. The sign on the side is okay, and the surface lot was pre-existing.
Being small and removable doesn't change the fact that there is too much of it and that it breaks up the visual continuity of the facade. Have you see the vinyl sign in person? Its not good.

And yes the surface lot was pre-existing, but to be used by a national chain all but guarantees its existence for as long as the store itself is operating.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:01 PM

Just clarify, I like the Lakeview Walmart. I was being facetious. Though I don't shop at Walmart, this is certainly a breath of fresh air seeing an old building like this find a second life instead of being torn down. Take notes Walgreens

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Just clarify, I like the Lakeview Walmart. I was being facetious. Though I don't shop at Walmart, this is certainly a breath of fresh air seeing an old building like this find a second life instead of being torn down. Take notes Walgreens
I strongly suspect Walgreens is going to bring it's A game to the Diversey/Broadway/Clark location with what they've learned from Duane Reade and blow CVS out of the water. Most of the foot traffic doesn't even go by the Century Center, it's E-W on Diversey and N-S on Broadway / Clark (south of Diversey). Hopefully this will indicate them revisiting more urban locations and redoing the concepts.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 7:45 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
AMLI has decided that retail makes sense, at least for Clark/Polk. AFAIK the city is not requiring it - Burnham Pointe across the street has far more units with no retail.
No, Burnham Pointe has nearly 200 feet of retail frontage.

AMLI brought in Friedman to do the leasing of the new retail at Clark & Polk. I haven't checked, but it's possible that AMLI is doing ground-floor retail there because it's required by the underlying DX-7 zoning and they want to avoid going through the PD process.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I strongly suspect Walgreens is going to bring it's A game to the Diversey/Broadway/Clark location with what they've learned from Duane Reade and blow CVS out of the water. Most of the foot traffic doesn't even go by the Century Center, it's E-W on Diversey and N-S on Broadway / Clark (south of Diversey). Hopefully this will indicate them revisiting more urban locations and redoing the concepts.
Yeah, I noticed CVS is moving into the Century Center. Seems like it just gets more and more empty. Really it's just a few ground level stores and the theaters.

I'm trying to imagine how it could be fixed, but a remodeling almost seems impossible. I think the theaters are a good addition to the area. If I could keep the facade preserved and start over, I'd have ground floor retail, the theaters, and a hotel.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 10:34 PM
Urbane observer

^A hotel with no windows?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed CVS is moving into the Century Center. Seems like it just gets more and more empty. Really it's just a few ground level stores and the theaters.

I'm trying to imagine how it could be fixed, but a remodeling almost seems impossible. I think the theaters are a good addition to the area. If I could keep the facade preserved and start over, I'd have ground floor retail, the theaters, and a hotel.
You would have to gut the whole place except the facade and the parking structure/health club. It looks like when it was done the old theater exterior walls were retained and they built up the mall inside and on top of them for the mall and theaters.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^A hotel with no windows?
Yes. That's exactly my plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development