HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:42 AM

A century ago.......the second city of the Empire shines

Now I shouldn't be even saying this, as a Sydney-sider it's not the done thing to acknowledge Melbourne let alone praise it. But I came across these pictures recently at the same time i learnt that in 1900 Melbourne was the second city of British Empire. I've enjoyed myself thoroughly with the old photos of American cities i've seen on this site and marveled at just how grand they were for so long ago, they become even more poignant given the decline of some.

Australia's a long way from anywhere and it is not a country that looks back at it's history that much, so I was simply unaware of the wealth and grandeur of Melbourne. At the time it was larger and much more important than Sydney and on January 1st 1901 became the capital of the new country of Australia, a title it lost to Canberra in the thirties. The buildings may not be as tall as American cities around the same time, the industry not quite as dynamic, but I think that everyone who appreciates cities and especially those historical snapshots will find something to enjoy here.

There may be a few outliers but the vast bulk come from between 1890 and 1920, leaning towards the first decade of the century.

All photos are from

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/gal...ian/index.html

except the last which is from

http://doubleconvexphotography.com/c...rom-melbourne/

Believe it or not I don't know much Edwardian Melbourne music so you'll have to have this anachronistic little ditty

Video Link

That'll do pig, that'll do....

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 3:22 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

wow! thanks for sharing.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 9:32 AM

I do find Melbourne's skyscrapers particularly ugly but in spite of that, it's one of the more beautiful cities in the world. A great find. Cheers.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 11:19 AM
Red October standing by

damn, i thought from the title this would be pics of Glasgow. oh well, Melbourne looks nice too.

-

-fflint

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:10 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Wow, how did it and Sydney break 1 million so fast? Wow!

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 2:03 PM
Ex Houstonian

I was just reading the history of Melbourne and in the 1830s Batman was the first person to explore the area that would become the city.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 3:59 PM
Look at me!

Definitely more grand and inspired than it's Canadian counterparts.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:39 AM

The whole time I'm looking at these pics I can't help but think this makes Canada's counterpart - Montreal - look like a steaming turd. Montreal wasn't founded on a giant pile of gold, however, so all things considered, she's not too shabby. Toronto? I won't even bother...

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
The whole time I'm looking at these pics I can't help but think this makes Canada's counterpart - Montreal - look like a steaming turd. Montreal wasn't founded on a giant pile of gold, however, so all things considered, she's not too shabby. Toronto? I won't even bother...
Montreal also had teeming masses from the Quebec countryside (made of the "wrong type of people" (in imperial thinking of the day anyway) descend upon the city by the tens of thousands, and who had to be housed somewhere. This also had a profound effect on how the city developed and appears today. Whereas places like Melbourne developed more "by design".

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:03 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Melbourne apparently had like 500 000+ people at the time, Montreal was a bit below 400 000, that's a fair difference.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 2:28 PM
video et taceo

what the wave of "undesirables" did give montreal, however, is a pattern of residential density that continues to inform its urban structure. had they been richer, they would have wanted semi-deatched houses or something of the sort, and we'd be like a smaller toronto.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 3:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
what the wave of "undesirables" did give montreal, however, is a pattern of residential density that continues to inform its urban structure. had they been richer, they would have wanted semi-deatched houses or something of the sort, and we'd be like a smaller toronto.
Early Melbourne tended to have a much larger share of the "right people" in its population. Which led to, yes, less urban density, but also a more generalized grandeur all over the city.

Toronto, for its part, was not necessarily destined to be Canada's keystone city, and so it lost out on grandeur on places like Melbourne (and even Montreal in the Canadian context) on much of the investment in this area that might have been made had it been clearly designated as Canada's metropolis much earlier - say, sometime in the mid to late 1800s.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos