HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 3:50 AM
Come As You Are

I could forgive the cheap-looking cladding, the disproportionate forms and the sheer dominace over the most important site for the muslims if the building just wasn't so asymmetrical
I mean, the top looks skewed to one side from some viewpoints.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 7:19 AM

Do you guys really think that muslims would be "insulted" by this? I'm sure they're extremely proud of it. After all, the whole building is designed around glorifying their god, just look at the crescent moon at the top and the "allah akbar" written on its clock face. It just does it in a sort of... tacky way (to us), but whatever, the sheer size of the thing is incredible and lends to this glorification. Verticality naturally inspires heavenly thoughts, for example in cathedrals, and they're just doing their own take on that in a way.

You can almost imagine all of the Muslims leaving Mecca after visiting the Kabbah and going "Did you see that huge building looming over us the whole time?! That thing was incredible!" Most of them have probably never seen anything like it before unless they live in cities with supertalls, which many do, but those are the definite minority when looking at the group as a whole, and if it's your first time seeing a supertall, it's hard for it to not have an impact on you.

Is it innovative? It's arguable, but only tenuously for the 'pro' side. Is it awe inspiringly huge? Absolutely. As for taste.... opinions opinions...

Islam rejects all western culture, it's in its nature, and this building is a perfect example of that, hence the reason why most of us can't stand it. Even if you wanted to go see the building and try to be fair in your judgment of it, if you're not a muslim, you're not getting in, and that's exactly how they want it. This is for them and their god - not for the world of architecture, and CERTAINLY not for us.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
Islam rejects all western culture, it's in its nature, and this building is a perfect example of that, hence the reason why most of us can't stand it. Even if you wanted to go see the building and try to be fair in your judgment of it, if you're not a muslim, you're not getting in, and that's exactly how they want it. This is for them and their god - not for the world of architecture, and CERTAINLY not for us.
Amen to that.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 7:35 AM
Hala Wal'la

Would not say i agree with all your points Spantik , but one point i do agree with is this Building does not insult us as muslims but we really do NOT think of Allah or relate it to anything religious while looking at it.

The Prophet muhammed PBUH mentioned that one of the major signs of the coming of the end of the world is when bare foot bedouins start racing for the skies with buildings. So actually we might go "wow this is big eh, the prophet was right though" type of thing.....

Yum

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 9:51 PM
Imster

Lightbulb Straight talk

Islam rejects all western culture, it's in its nature, and this building is a perfect example of that, hence the reason why most of us can't stand it. Even if you wanted to go see the building and try to be fair in your judgment of it, if you're not a muslim, you're not getting in, and that's exactly how they want it. This is for them and their god - not for the world of architecture, and CERTAINLY not for us.[/QUOTE]

Lets get something straight Islam DOES NOT REJECT ALL Western culture - in fact much of the western civilisation has borrowed much from Islam - do your research . Please this is a Skyscraper forum for all those like you and me who admire and respect Skyscrapers. I agree the building is not the best looking in the world - it may be the largest in floor size but I like the buildings going up in China they are awesome. I believe any large skyscraper going up has to look good and compliment the buildings around it and the enhance the image of the city. I believe this building will grow on some and not on others. The Arabic scripture stands high on the building is a nice feature. Perhaps one day you might go there one day

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
Perhaps one day you might go there one day
It all depends on the rules. How inclusive will the site be in the future?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:24 AM

How?

How are they gonna fill up all those rooms. My opinion is that it will look weird because there isn't really skyscrapers in Mecca so a huge building like this wil just look awkward don't ya think?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_88 View Post
How are they gonna fill up all those rooms.
-
That Hajj thing

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_UAE View Post
Would not say i agree with all your points Spantik , but one point i do agree with is this Building does not insult us as muslims but we really do NOT think of Allah or relate it to anything religious while looking at it.
See, that's simply not true from my perspective, as the words "God is Greatest" are written on the sides of the building, and the giant golden crescent moon is on top as well, obviously attempting to inspire Islamic religious thought. It's not even done ambiguously either, they literally plastered the words on the sides of the clock tower for people to read and obey. Also, one could argue that because of its positioning, by default religious connotation is attached to it. It's a stones throw from the Kabaa, the most important site in Islam. It doesn't "insult" Muslims, but rather serve as a massive monument to the power of Islam and demonstrate that Mecca is a rapidly developing city, and one that has the tallest of tall buildings, something which has long been seen as a sign of power and prestige for any city or country lucky enough to have them. It would be solely that if the building weren't covered in religious symbolism, but that's not the case.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 5:47 PM
Hala Wal'la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
for people to read and obey..
Obey ? sounds like cattle you are referring to haha , i know it was not your intention but i just found it funny.

I am not here to convince you otherwise , i am just giving you my opinion as an Arab and Muslim and also someone who has been to makkah several times.

It is just a modern building. Nothing Holy about it. It is as holy as the toilets you can find in Makkah all over the place. Ofcourse i am only referring to the building itself and not the religious scripture they decided to plaster all over it

To keep it simple for you. The prophet mohammed PBUH instructed us that mosques for example need to be simple (nothing fancy) which is totally the opposite to what is happening nowadays, but that is a different issue.

Islam and i would assume any religion is what you hold in your heart and not something materialistic

Yum

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This might be the most grotesque and offensive project I have ever seen.

It basically insults the 1.7 billion Muslims at their holiest site, while producing a caricture of a design that offends anyone with functioning eyes.
This.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 12:52 PM
Imster

The building may not be elegant in design - but its built now and certainly quite imposing. It does not insult Muslims - I explained before the entire Mecca site in going through massive expansion and construction. Personally I feel the building is too close to the Haram. At Least Saud is going to take the title of the Worlds Tallest building around 2017 from Dubai. A skyscraper that will look good

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 2:36 PM
Imster

This building will grow on people - just give it time

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 5:49 PM

This is just wierd, I usually find myself hating buildings that most people like and loving buildings that most people hate. This is yet another example.

Yes I think it's location is terrible, yes I think it's way too tall. But the overall architecture of it is alright. Not the best I have seen certainly, heck not even a building I really like all to much but it's certainly not a monstrosity in my opinion.

Last edited by marvelfannumber1; Sep 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 7:32 PM
Ω

Looks like it would fit perfectly in Blade Runner or Rouge City.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 8:33 PM
BANNED

Wow, i wonder if they will eventually surround that central point with rich peoples highrises like this one, keeping the poors far away.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive