HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 9:22 PM

https://www.facebook.com/BroncoNationNews

Quote:
Boise State University has announced that they will be replacing the blue turf with the traditional green turf. Go Broncos!

So not funny! Even though it was a nice April fools joke. Actually fooled me for about 30 seconds until my blonde head put two, and two together.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:37 AM
Dare Mighty Things

I'm not sure there's an issue I'm more torn on than the blue turf.

On the one hand, blue turf IS Boise State. Boise State IS blue turf. It's become so tied to our football identity that changing it seems like it would do a tremendous disservice to our brand and could really hurt not just Boise State, but the city of Boise in the long run. Recruits often say the best part of tripping to Boise is stepping on that turf. It's become a Boise landmark, easily the most nationally recognizable icon this city has.

On the other hand... That green turf rendition looks very, very sharp. I can't say enough how gorgeous that would look. Just the combination of blue, orange set against that green... Man! I'd even go as far to say that our logo, color and uniforms match green turf better than most schools. Plus you look at our standard home uniform, the all-blues -- just watch the 2010 and 2011 Las Vegas Bowl where we wore those on green turf and tell me that look wasn't beautiful. I loooooved that look.

Would I be disappointed to see the blue turf stay? Not at all! There are excellent reasons to have it stay. But would I be disappointed to see it replaced with a green turf? Eh, I don't think so. But that's just my two cents, I completely understand why many folks would hate to see it go.

By the way, Hawk! Speaking of Hawk, the Boise Hawks unveiled a new logo and uniform today.

There might've been some more designs I missed, but I'm happy that they kept the red and green. They tweeted earlier that they were looking at switching to a red and blue color palette... BORING! Thank goodness they didn't!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:46 AM
Certified Idahoan

The thing about that rendering that would have worried me had it been real is the WAC branding on the field. Heehee. And I have to say I am one the few Boiseans that wouldn't shed a single tear for the blue turf if it went away. Though it is the closest thing we have to an icon it just doesn't look good on T.V. I think it looks fantastic in person, but on T.V. it looks horrible.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
The thing about that rendering that would have worried me had it been real is the WAC branding on the field. Heehee.
This actually would have been the funnier April Fool's joke.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:28 PM

The entire article at the link:

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Boise-201332861.html

Boise playing great host city for Davis Cup
KTVB.COM
Posted on April 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Updated yesterday at 6:15 PM

So far, 8,500 tickets have been sold, with a few thousand left to fill the roughly 11,000-seat Taco Bell Arena.

Fisher says that's about average if you compare Boise to other U.S. cities that have hosted the Davis Cup.

So while the matches haven't even begun yet, the impression being made is one that will be remembered.

"I can already tell you this is one of those markets, so from on down from our players to our staff that has come out here, again the city has welcomed us like hardly any others that we've been to and it's been great to see," said Fisher.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:34 PM

click the link for the entire article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/sp...s05.html?_r=1&
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
Published: April 4, 2013

How Djokovic Came to Play in Boise, Idaho

But Boise is no tennis wasteland. It has more than 80 public outdoor courts and particularly active recreational adult leagues. It was also once home to the Idaho Sneakers, a World Team Tennis franchise whose lineup once included the American doubles stars Bob and Mike Bryan.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 11:32 PM
All man. Half nuts.

recent elections have reignited the rumor of a downtown boise ballpark for the hawks becoming closer to reality, but i'll believe it when they "play ball" in the thing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 1:09 PM

I was wondering what happened to the ballpark idea. I hope it happens. The Hawks need a new, updated, and more urban place to play imo.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 3:54 PM
All man. Half nuts.

anyone know if Simplot Stadium in caldwell is getting a facelift for the upcoming football season?

now that the 'yotes football program has been revived, i know the college is building a whole new football facility. didn't know if they're also updating old Simplot Stadium, too.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:27 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
anyone know if Simplot Stadium in caldwell is getting a facelift for the upcoming football season?

now that the 'yotes football program has been revived, i know the college is building a whole new football facility. didn't know if they're also updating old Simplot Stadium, too.
I haven't heard of any improvements, but they are sorely needed.

Right now it is a multi-use stadium...football, baseball, soccer, concerts, etc.

If memory serves, it seats about 4,200. If they were to build a matching grandstand on the opposite side, and make it primarily for football, C of I would have a decent little facility that would seat around 8,000~8,500.

This would also make it just about the perfect size to host the State high school football Championships.

Simplot Stadium could definitely use a bigger press box as well, as you can see the current one is not much bigger than an average SUV:

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:42 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

Here are a few renderings I found from an Idaho Press Tribune article dated April 2011.

C of I shows off plans for baseball stadium enhancements

Quote:
On the relatively new artificial turf infield at Wolfe Field in Caldwell, representatives of the College of Idaho and city of Caldwell talked about their combined efforts for additional improvements to the baseball field.

This time, the improvements will surround the playing surface that has been in use by the College of Idaho, American Legion and youth baseball teams the past three seasons.

“Certainly the students, including the American Legion and the high school students, along with the (C of I) team that use this facility have enjoyed that very much,” College of Idaho president Marvin Henberg said. “I’m not so sure our spectators have enjoyed it as much.”

Source: http://www.idahopress.com/sports/c-o...tml?mode=story

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 1:32 AM
All man. Half nuts.

some news on Les Bois Park undergoing some renovations in time for the new racing season. from ktvb:

Quote:
The dirt track has undergone its annual resurfacing, the upscale Turf Club continues to undergo renovation, and more video screens have been installed throughout the facility for viewing and betting on remote races. A new track side pub under the grandstands has also been completed.

"There is a lot of activity at the track right now," said race secretary Shorty Martin. "We've got a lot of training going on. We've got some remodeling going on. We've getting the monitors set up inside here to watch the Kentucky Derby live."

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 9:50 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Could Boise Be the Home of a New USL Pro Soccer Team?

http://boisetopia.com/?p=725

Quote:
Today it was announced that St. Louis has been awarded an expansion franchise to begin play in 2015 of the fast growing men’s soccer league USL Pro. From what I’ve gathered this adds fuel to the fire that the Seattle Sounders of Major League Soccer will be forming their own USL Pro team for the 2015 season.

My curiosity was provoked when I heard that Boise was mentioned as a potential city for the home of this new Sounders-affiliated USL Pro team. According to Sounders GM and part owner Adrian Hanauer, the list of cities being looked at include Bellingham, Everett, Spokane, and Boise. Then, on a fan poll at SounderAtHeart.com, the question was asked “Where would you like the Sounders to put a USL Pro team?” At the time of this writing, Boise is the overwhelming favorite, with 72% of the 1860 votes.
See also: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...pro-squad-2015

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 12:05 AM

Here is the latest: Making the case for USL Soccer

http://www.sounderatheart.com/thefut...usl-pro-market

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:16 AM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basco View Post
Here is the latest: Making the case for USL Soccer

http://www.sounderatheart.com/thefut...usl-pro-market

i'm all for adding another franchise to the metro, though being a football fan i'd rather see the Boise Burn rise up from the ashes (pun intended).

the three main issues i see with this proposal are:

1 - where will they play? seems like a new venue would be best
2 - where will the financing come from? maybe the hawks owners will find soccer investors to help fund the multi-purpose facility (though i personally hate multi-purpose facilities with the exception of basketball/hockey arenas)
3 - will the team's schedule conflict with youth soccer?

the schedule issue could be a big one. i can see how a soccer team here would be a huge draw for families who have kids in the youth programs, but if the team's home games conflict with youth schedules, it could make a big impact on attendance.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 2:22 PM
All man. Half nuts.

so, Bronco Stadium is now Albertson's Stadium.

sadly, it sounds like the money from that agreement won't go to stadium expansion, but rather to help fund athletic stipends to keep up with the NCAA.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 2:26 PM
All man. Half nuts.

new turf at Simplot Stadium going in....

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 3:45 AM

Some news about the Hawks

Quote:
A source close to the team said Thursday night that the Chicago Cubs will not renew their agreement, which is set to end at midnight. MLB teams had until Thursday to renew agreements. The next step for the Hawks is to negotiate with other teams seeking new affiliates, and can reach agreements from Sept. 16-Oct. 7. MLB will pair unaffiliated teams after that.

The Hawks had been the Cubs' short-season Class A affiliate since 2001. The teams that are likely to be the next parent club are the San Francisco Giants, Chicago White Sox, Colorado Rockies, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim or San Diego Padres.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...#storylink=cpy
Maybe it's time to build that new Stadium...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:22 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Maybe it's time to build that new Stadium...

a new facility is about 20 years past due. the current state of hawks stadium bad for a single-A short season rookie league... that's pretty darn embarrassing. i'd be surprised if other teams (giants, athletics, mariners) would want to be affiliated with the team unless a new one is built.

truth is, boise needs better baseball and a better facility. this is not a single-A market. we should have a triple-A team with a downtown facility to match.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 1:14 AM
Certified Idahoan

fingers crossed for new facility AND please let the new affiliate be the Rockies! them's my boys

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West