Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 7:09 PM
Community Guy

The green-building impact on employees

The green-building impact on employees

SARAH BOESVELD

Special to Globe and Mail Update

Published Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2010 10:32AM EDT

Sometimes, as her working day comes to an end, Julia Sakas watches a beautiful sunset fall behind the skyscrapers of downtown Toronto. The LEED-certified offices at the Ontario Realty Corp. are lined with windows – a bright change from the old location at Queen’s Park, where 120 executive workspaces along the walls kept the light out.

The 20th floor of ORC’s new offices at One Dundas Street West is awash with natural light and otherwise lit by smart motion-sensor lights. It’s heated and cooled with clean energy systems. These features make a big statement that the company is committed to sustainability.

But it isn’t just a statement, says Ms. Sakas: The building has affected her working life, too. “It feels so nice to be in here,” she says, looking around the vast open space with frosted glass and wood trim around the boardrooms. She feels more productive at work, she says – at ease and happy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...1765013/print/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 6:34 PM
Community Guy

No thoughts? comments?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 7:05 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

my senior project was about how architecture/buildings affect emotions and lifestyles.

i had a few roadblocks on proving that green buildings could improve productivity (only finding sources), but overall i was sure that they did. 'green' buildings usually have better air flow, constantly recycling dirty with fresh air rather than just circulating and making it colder. workers also increase productivity by just knowing it's a green building. not to mention that green buildings are usually new which also increase productivity. larger windows, chemical free/recycled materials, better lighting, everything (in the building whether it's at home or work) can have an effect on our productivity and habits.

anyways, i read a few articles a while ago about the matter.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture