HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 12:39 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
How do you figure it's amazingly inexpensive? If anything it's pretty expensive. The Met in NY is way bigger and better, and it's free with a suggested donation.

The Louve is much bigger and better and is only 15 euros.
The 5 museums in Berlin on Museum Island together are only 18 euros.
My favorite museum The Prado in Madrid is only 15 euros.

I'm not interested in Asian art. Most of the contemporary art they buy is a huge rip off! Millions for a couple paint splatters on a huge canvas, a neon sign with a snarky comment, or some random photos that look like something any art student could come up with.

The Reina Sofia National Art museum in Madrid is my favorite modern art museum, It has a very excellent quality collection of Modern art. It's only 10 euro
Just checked on admissions policies at the Met, and yes, NY, CT, NJ residents are still suggested donation only. Non-residents of these three states are $25 admission. And again, I think this is a very fair price for such a ridiculously prestigious museum.

As for the specific artworks in the AIC's (or Met's, or Louvre's, etc...) collections, well, different strokes for different folks, right? I'm a huge fan of relatively contemporary pieces, plus impressionism. Give me Monet, give me Van Gogh, give me some Picasso, give me something like American Gothic, give me some Lautrec, etc., I'm a happy boy. I do happen to also like the more historical stuff like Asian, African, Oceanic, etc... etc... Not everything needs to be a bunch of Renaissance works.

Regardless, my point is that on nearly every world rankings list, the AIC is definitely right up there with the world's great art museums. And I don't think $20 is unfair in terms of admissions cost, especially when there are so many free and reduced-fee days for Chicago/Illinois residents.

Aaron (Glowrock)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest