HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 1:24 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ncart_breaking

Quote:
Retired Nike exec stakes claim to bring Major League Baseball to Portland
Updated 6:13 PM; Posted 3:54 PM

By Gordon R. Friedman gfriedman@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

A retired Nike executive connected to a group seeking to bring a Major League Baseball team to Portland has formed a company to facilitate deal-making and to lobby local officials.

Craig Cheek, a former vice president at the footwear giant who oversaw training, baseball and football operations, acknowledged Monday that the company, Portland Diamond Project, is baseball-related but declined to comment further. John McIsaac, who said he has been retained as a spokesman for the would-be baseball management group, acknowledged Cheek's connection to group, which includes former Portland Trail Blazers announcer Mike Barrett.

Portland Diamond Project was founded last July, according to its articles of organization. No owner or manager is listed. But Cheek's name appears on paperwork the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission showing it sought to raise $6 million and had already sold equity worth $500,000 to two unnamed investors. Cheek is listed as Portland Diamond Project's executive officer and director, and records show the company is registered at the address of his riverfront home in Lake Oswego.

The company's website went online in July of last year, domain registration records show. The entire site is a landing page showing only a circular blue, black and white logo, with a calligraphy-styled capital "P" in the center.
...(continues)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:05 AM

I’m not a baseball fan at all but sitting at a game drinking some beers in the middle of July sounds absolutely delightful. I’d be thrilled if this happened.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:18 AM
A before E

I am so excited for this because this is starting to really looking like the rights cards are getting into place to make this happen. Portland is a fast growing market, and MLB is looking at the possibility of potentially moving two teams, and expanding two more teams but there isn't many cities on the list they can go to. Portland is definitely in the top 4 choices which would in turn mean that we are more than likely going to see that happen in the near future. Plus it would be in MLB's best interest to invest in the Northwest rivalry.

Or as I like to say, guess who isn't in the playoffs this year, the Sonics.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 2:51 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...2box_targeted_

Quote:
Major League Baseball backers offer to buy two close-in Portland sites for stadium
Updated 6:51 PM; Posted 4:06 PM
By Gordon R. Friedman gfriedman@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Backers of bringing a Major League Baseball team to Portland say they have submitted formal proposals to purchase one of two potential ballpark sites close to downtown.

One is Portland Public Schools' headquarters, located in the Rose Quarter just north of the Moda Center complex and valued at more than $100 million, according to county assessor records.

Backers said only that the other location is an industrial site in Northwest Portland. Heavy manufacturing company Esco owns a large property like that -- on Northwest Vaughn Street between 24th Avenue and 26th Avenue -- and has said it wants to sell the portion that houses a large out-of-commission foundry. Its Vaughn Street property has an estimated value of $14 million, assessor records show.
...(continues)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:07 PM

As part of Design Week Portland there's an open tonight at the TVA Architects office. Might be worth checking out...

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
That would super cool if it happened. I wonder how hard John Stanton will lobby against it.

Ive always thought NFL football would be much easier to function in Portland as it only needs to fill a stadium 8 times a year for regular season home games, and sell ads and tv packages for the 16 total. Verses baseball that needs to attempt that 10 times over.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:10 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
That would super cool if it happened. I wonder how hard John Stanton will lobby against it.

Ive always thought NFL football would be much easier to function in Portland as it only needs to fill a stadium 8 times a year for regular season home games, and sell ads and tv packages for the 16 total. Verses baseball that needs to attempt that 10 times over.
The difference is baseball uses its stadium over a longer period of time than football. So baseball can also have more value tickets to attract people to the games similar to what happens with NBA, which we have no problem filling the Moda Center for every Blazers home game.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:11 AM

I'm not a big baseball fan but I like that they're only looking at building a ballpark that seats 32,000. The North Portland site seems a lot better to me since access is much easier without having to find money to build a new streetcar up to Montgomery Park.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:33 PM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
The difference is baseball uses its stadium over a longer period of time than football. So baseball can also have more value tickets to attract people to the games similar to what happens with NBA, which we have no problem filling the Moda Center for every Blazers home game.
Exactly this. NFL games are only 10 times a year (don't forget the 2 pre-season games) and that is only 10 days of the year that a primary tenant is using the facility and drawing a crowd.

Baseball has 81 home games and even if not sold out, average attendance would be similar to a blazers or timbers game. Thats money also spent in and around the stadium on food, drinks and merchandise 81 times a year versus 10. Also, that size of venue could attract bigger events that simply won't even look at Portland currently from concerts to motocross to big time international soccer, etc.

I know people think baseball is a dying sport and to the average sports fan in the country, interest may not be there, but baseball is a regional sport. It is big in the cities/areas that have teams minus a couple markets. Oakland and TB come to mind

Just look outside today and tell me if there was a MLB game in town that you wouldn't enjoy it? This would be a win win for the city, especially if its virtually privately financed and adds 8000 housing units. It will totally reinvent the neighborhood for the better where it ends up. Just take a look at the example from San Diego here:
https://twitter.com/boomskie/status/...567114752?s=21

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:06 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Exactly this. NFL games are only 10 times a year (don't forget the 2 pre-season games) and that is only 10 days of the year that a primary tenant is using the facility and drawing a crowd.

Baseball has 81 home games and even if not sold out, average attendance would be similar to a blazers or timbers game. Thats money also spent in and around the stadium on food, drinks and merchandise 81 times a year versus 10. Also, that size of venue could attract bigger events that simply won't even look at Portland currently from concerts to motocross to big time international soccer, etc.

I know people think baseball is a dying sport and to the average sports fan in the country, interest may not be there, but baseball is a regional sport. It is big in the cities/areas that have teams minus a couple markets. Oakland and TB come to mind

Just look outside today and tell me if there was a MLB game in town that you wouldn't enjoy it? This would be a win win for the city, especially if its virtually privately financed and adds 8000 housing units. It will totally reinvent the neighborhood for the better where it ends up. Just take a look at the example from San Diego here:
https://twitter.com/boomskie/status/...567114752?s=21
Another thing to keep in mind is the 8000 units they would want to develop with it would basically be like building 30 Civic Buildings in a district around the stadium. That would be a huge development for the city, especially with the inclusionary rule.

Hearing about what has been going on with the A's, I really think that is the top chance for a team with this group making a stadium offer and putting together an investors group. My guess is the A's owner is going to be putting the team up for sale with option to move, Portland being a west coast city would keep the A's on the west coast, plus add another team to the northwest would be a good deal. Also, they would be able to keep the team in Oakland until a stadium was built up here.

My only hope is if it is the A's we get, I kind of want the name to stay in Oakland. If they ever get a team again, they can have the A's name back. I would rather any team move here be called the Portland Beavers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:19 PM
RCTID

As to the name A's, I feel the same about a new name but I think they would be inclined to keep the name. The franchise moved from Philly to KC then to Oakland and kept the name.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:38 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
As to the name A's, I feel the same about a new name but I think they would be inclined to keep the name. The franchise moved from Philly to KC then to Oakland and kept the name.
That was a long time ago, I would be more in favor of the A's name staying in Oakland.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment