HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Avis Returns! View Post
LOL there's nothing third rate about my beautiful and safe upper middle class suburb you can't afford like most leftists! I get why you want to visit though and have a great night with pretty little me .
Pretty little you is FIRST RATE in my book, Dr. Avis.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:34 PM

...and we're back.

The occasional forum bug is gone.

The Cultural District project looks nice and again, the Arena one would be amazing.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
There are plans to connect Morningside/Highland Park to the trail via a Heth's Run greenway trail (where the massive zoo parking lot is).
I'm aware of this project. But if you look at the planned route map, the infill trail along the south bank of the Allegheny seems to stop without intersecting with the Brilliant rail-to-trail project.

Honestly, if I had a continual trail on the south bank, I wouldn't have to cross the river as part of a bike commute anyway, but it would be nice to have an easy way to ride to Aspinwall.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:20 PM

Tried to count the floors on that AE7 tower plan. Definitely well over 60, so I'm guessing yes, that would have been a new tallest. I always wondered why AE7 was in town... they're a big deal. I knew it wasn't just to work on a redesign of the bayer sign into a spa.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 6:32 PM

Don't think I saw this here yesterday; the Post Gazette had an article up about what's going on with the old Macy's site. I walk by that building daily and its appearance is in a sorry state. I am not the only one feeling that way apparently though as the city has said they've gotten complaints from other about how it looks and they are now pressing Core to start taking care of the exterior. They supposedly have been doing work though on the inside and the Even Hotel part of the development should get going quickly soon as financing has been secured.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201707200048

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:14 PM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
These are amazing! I assume they're not real?... and the BIG one is? I actually like this proposal better. A new tallest for Pittsburgh?? Yes, please!
I would not say tallest but maybe 3rd tallest. The US Steel Tower is 841' and the BNY Mellon Building is in the 700s. US Steel's bulk makes it appear shorter than it truly is. The US Steel building is one of the larger skyscrapers as far as square footage per floor (1 acre per floor).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Turns out the AE7 website is a bit of a treasure trove. There are also renderings of a large mixed-use structure on the Syria Mosque site. You may recall that Pitt owns the site and announced plans to build a tech-focussed mixed use structure (a la CMU).

http://ae7.com/app/uploads/2016/03/S...w_20140926.jpg

http://ae7.com/app/uploads/2016/03/A...a_20140926.jpg

http://ae7.com/app/uploads/2016/03/S...a_20140926.jpg

http://ae7.com/project/confidential-project/
WOWzers! This is an amazing project. This will blend well with the hotel planned for the lot adjacent to the Athletics Association building. Soldiers and Sailors will be sandwiched between new mid rises.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I would not say tallest but maybe 3rd tallest. The US Steel Tower is 841' and the BNY Mellon Building is in the 700s. US Steel's bulk makes it appear shorter than it truly is. The US Steel building is one of the larger skyscrapers as far as square footage per floor (1 acre per floor).
IDK... the one rendering made it look like a new tallest:
http://ae7.com/app/uploads/2016/03/V...a_20140706.jpg

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:33 PM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
By my eye, the AE7 hill tower looked to be about the same height as US Steel form ground to roof. Remember though, that spot on the hill is significantly higher elevation than Grant Street. The building would probably appear to be ~900 ft in the skyline.
Yup! This is why I want a taller building built in this area. Further up Bedford would really make an impact.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 10:29 PM

It's hard to count, but the top tier has like 10 floors.

The amount of floors above the first "divider" appears to be 14(x4). I can't imagine this is accurate. And there's the few floors at the bottom.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 10:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

Jesus, I don't look at this thread for a day and theres all these brand new fancy renderings and proposals and I missed Dr. Avis Return, darn.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
It's hard to count, but the top tier has like 10 floors.

The amount of floors above the first "divider" appears to be 14(x4). I can't imagine this is accurate. And there's the few floors at the bottom.
I count roughly 70 floors, excluding the top mechanical, so even if it is mostly condo/apt floor height vs office floor height, this tower would be at least as tall a BNY/Mellon and likely very close to US Steel. Certainly, the elevation difference and angles of the renderings leave a lot to be speculated.

Last edited by fonzi; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I count roughly 70 floors, excluding the top mechanical, so even if it is mostly condo/apt floor height vs office floor height, this tower would be at least as tall a BNY/Mellon and likely very close to US Steel. Certainly, the elevation difference and angles of the renderings leave a lot to be speculated.
I assume that it's office as there are no balconies, not that there has to be of course.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 12:09 AM

Is it just me, or is anyone else not confident that a building that size will be erected in uptown?

Wasn't there also a plan to build a 20-story building on the surface lot next to One Oxford Centre? Any news?

Any progress on the plan to put apartments in Chatham Center?

The ALMONO master plan is way late. It was supposed to be out the end of 2016, then Spring 2017. Bad news?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Turns out the AE7 website is a bit of a treasure trove. There are also renderings of a large mixed-use structure on the Syria Mosque site. You may recall that Pitt owns the site and announced plans to build a tech-focussed mixed use structure (a la CMU).

http://ae7.com/app/uploads/2016/03/S...w_20140926.jpg

http://ae7.com/app/uploads/2016/03/A...a_20140926.jpg

http://ae7.com/app/uploads/2016/03/S...a_20140926.jpg

http://ae7.com/project/confidential-project/
Wow...check out those overhangs on steroids. I see that fad is still entrenched. Like carports in the sky. They diminish rather than enhance to me. Just so contra to the fussy jumble of styles going on below.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 3:09 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This looks pretty darn good:

With respect to the Lower Hill renderings, that's not the design for the deck-park that was recently proposed, but it is fun to imagine what it would look like with a big tower there. And in fact I am OK with being patient with that lower end of the site because that might make something like that possible. But hopefully they will in fact get going on the housing for the upper parts.
Yes, the towers look good, sure. But that's a huge mass of parking too. I suppose if it has street level retail and greenspace on top that's better but I am wishing that whole remaining area would be a master plan of several towers and park space like in the original Riverparc rendering.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 1:39 AM

Drove through Uptown for the first time in a bit and noticed steel going up on a decent sized structure by PPG Arena, between Our Way and Colwell St and West of Stevenson St. Anyone know what this is? Maybe the new power plant for Mercy?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary R. English View Post
Drove through Uptown for the first time in a bit and noticed steel going up on a decent sized structure by PPG Arena, between Our Way and Colwell St and West of Stevenson St. Anyone know what this is? Maybe the new power plant for Mercy?
It's a new hotel development. I really don't like how it's tucked away off of Fifth Ave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations