HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
I hope you are correct that Philadelphia is being considered, but there is no mention of Philadelphia or Pennsylvania.

http://www.courant.com/politics/capi...123-story.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ge-nears...ers-1441931084
Yeah. You'd think there'd have been some news if there was any attempt to land GE here. The three candidates mentioned in the first article (NY, Boston, and Fairfield) all make sense. If they don't remain in Conn., then the two closest metropolitan areas are the most likely choices. However, the cost of living is so much lower here by comparison, that anyone not making a pitch is wasting a golden opportunity.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 8:58 PM

Nutter announces $10 Million dollar study to cap 95 at Penn's Landing. NBC10

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 10:10 PM

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...363834061.html

The transition to SEPTA Key has officially COMMENCED!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 6:08 PM

Long time lurker, new poster. I think a third Comcast tower is the probable " hush hush" Brandywine project.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaj View Post
Long time lurker, new poster. I think a third Comcast tower is the probable " hush hush" Brandywine project.
Comcast towers are developed by Liberty Property Trust, not Brandywine. I think we all are pretty sure that a third Comcast tower is inevitable, so the fact that Brandywine may be developing a new tower (pure speculation) is a good thing.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 6:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Comcast towers are developed by Liberty Property Trust, not Brandywine. I think we all are pretty sure that a third Comcast tower is inevitable, so the fact that Brandywine may be developing a new tower (pure speculation) is a good thing.
Oops! Thanks for the correction! Yes even better speculation than I had thought.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 10:32 PM

It seems Mayor Nutter's parting gift is a cap of the I-95 near Penn's Landing, or at least a study of it:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...363927151.html

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 12:02 AM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daario View Post
It seems Mayor Nutter's parting gift is a cap of the I-95 near Penn's Landing, or at least a study of it:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...363927151.html
Would rather cap more (as much as possible, really) of 676 before bothering to move on to 95. But long term its the only way we can connect the waterfront so I guess a study can't hurt.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 4:56 AM

Philly's unemployment rate drops to lowest level in 7 years

Quote:
Philadelphia's unemployment rate dropped to 5. 9 percent in November – the lowest rate in the city in more than seven years.

The number of Philadelphians employed rose to 650,108, a rise of 6,224 since October 2015, according to preliminary data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Along with more Philadelphians employed in November, the city also boasts more jobs.

Since October 2015, 4,300 have been added to the city's economy upping the total to 691,800 – which is 40,000 more than when Nutter began leading the city, according to the Offices of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor for Economic Development.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...st-nov215.html

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 1:57 AM

Brandywine Trust also has a pool of local companies that could move back into the city; Sun (Sunoco) Lincoln Financial & Vanguard as well as a number of tech companies that have corporate offices along the 202 corridor. However, let's hope they can poach a large bank or in fact a GE, Pepsi or Kodak from New York state.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 10:37 PM

Building Philly posted some updates on Facebook regarding some possible site prep at 23rd and Cherry.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 12:40 AM

Word on the street is I hear they are building a mega wendys there...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:15 AM

Slow last few days on the thread during the holidays...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Slow last few days on the thread during the holidays...
Always is. Things will pick back up again this week.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 12:55 PM
Register This

Story on philly dot com about SLS and smaller tower.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...mpetition.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper121 View Post
Story on philly dot com about SLS and smaller tower.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...mpetition.html
I read that. I was hoping for more details on when SLS will start but nothing was mentioned. Just says 2017 opening- Which seems like a stretch for something that isn't yet underway. Is it just me or does the image of the SLS look changed from what was proposed in 2014?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I read that. I was hoping for more details on when SLS will start but nothing was mentioned. Just says 2017 opening- Which seems like a stretch for something that isn't yet underway. Is it just me or does the image of the SLS look changed from what was proposed in 2014?
It certainly does look different to me. Also, buried in this article, is potentially bad news on the Family Court renovation as a Kimpton hotel. It sounds like Kimpton may no longer be involved.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 5:32 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
It certainly does look different to me. Also, buried in this article, is potentially bad news on the Family Court renovation as a Kimpton hotel. It sounds like Kimpton may no longer be involved.
Which is ACTUALLY OK. BECAUSE: the second runner up was J.W. Marriott, a brand that would instantly take over because they wanted to be so close to their Mormon brethren. Yes Marriott is connected to the church.

The reason this is good for us is because J.W. Marriott is a proven AAA Five Diamond brand. Granted not all their properties have garnered Five Diamonds, but neither has every Four Seasons or every Ritz-Carlton. But I believe the ambitions for the Family Court Building were a Five Diamond caliber hotel on Logan Square? Circle? and a Five Diamond hotel for Philadelphia. Kimpton is a Four Diamond brand. I would have to research it but I don't believe they have ever earned a fifth diamond and this transformation would have just been an attempt by them. Or, even worse, they would set their goal at Four Diamond.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Which is ACTUALLY OK. BECAUSE: the second runner up was J.W. Marriott, a brand that would instantly take over because they wanted to be so close to their Mormon brethren. Yes Marriott is connected to the church.

The reason this is good for us is because J.W. Marriott is a proven AAA Five Diamond brand. Granted not all their properties have garnered Five Diamonds, but neither has every Four Seasons or every Ritz-Carlton. But I believe the ambitions for the Family Court Building were a Five Diamond caliber hotel on Logan Square? Circle? and a Five Diamond hotel for Philadelphia. Kimpton is a Four Diamond brand. I would have to research it but I don't believe they have ever earned a fifth diamond and this transformation would have just been an attempt by them. Or, even worse, they would set their goal at Four Diamond.
Good point about the Marriott family connection to Mormonism. That could be a boost to getting this project done, if Kimpton is indeed out. If the LDS church gets involved, the project will surely happen, as they've proven to be "can do" folks. I've never stayed at a JW Marriott, but their reputation is indeed high-end. I was hoping that the old Four Seasons would become one (although The Logan looks like it's going to be great), and I think our city should absolutely have a hotel of that calibre. However, I wonder if the Family Court building is suitable? I guess so, because you suggest that JWM was a contender in the bidding won by the Kimpton project. Kimpton seemed like a good fit since they do a lot of projects in old, quirky buildings. Even if not a JW Marriott, maybe another Marriott brand would go there. Although not as "posh," I've been in some interesting Residence Inn and Courtyard conversions of old buildings.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
It certainly does look different to me.
It doesn't appear to be different to me, just a facade (southern) that wasn't shown in the original renderings at the beginning of the SLS thread. If you compare this rendering to those in the SLS thread, you'll see that this appears to be the southern facade continuation of the design of the western and northern facades shown in those renderings. The color of the vertical architectural fins (or whatever they are) in the base does appear to be a bit different than the reddish brown color shown in the original renderings, but that could be just a shadow effect. The color of the glass in the tower portion of the SLS, however, looks to be essentially the same in both the images of the Hyde and the original renderings of the SLS:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations