HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Hello!
So i heard some rumors that Monte's on Rio Salado and Mill ave was opening up again and I knew that the new One Hundred Mill site with the office and Kimpton hotel was slated to land there. Does anyone have updates on where that development stands at the moment?

http://onehundredmillavenue.com/
Website posted for reference.
If Monte's reopens, I sure hope it's run by some folks who understand how to cook.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:49 PM

It was an April Fools joke. Hope they do something worthy with that corner.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 5:32 PM

Few observations from cruising around Tempe:

The Greek Village at Terrace/Rural, even though it's pretty generic looking, actually seems to work pretty well and I think is an improvement over the old tower-in-the-park dorms. The community center comes out and meets the corner at Terrace/Rural well. ASU's website says that the community center will have a retail component as well, which is great. Doubt it will ever happen given the backlash from reducing auto travel lanes on the less busy McClintock, but it would be awesome if they reduced Rural to two lanes in each direction, widened the sidewalks and added bike lanes. The new developments along Rural are all at least someone pedestrian oriented and it would be nice to start to change the complexion of Rural to match that.

Also noticed that there is some signage up around the Union showing that they already have some retail tenants lined up--I noticed Starbucks, Insomnia Cookies (who already have the new location up on their website) and Nekter Juice. I have no idea how there is a market for another Starbucks in the area--off the top of my head I can think of the one at Mill/5th, the one in Marina Heights, the one in the Chase offices, the one in the engineering dorms, and 2-3 on the main campus within walking distance. But they would know better than I. Hope there are more diverse retail tenants filling up the other spots.

ASU Surplus at Rio Salado/101 is having a moving sale, so it looks like Broadstone project there is moving forward. That once always seemed to me like a relatively easy one to build, so I suspect that will go relatively quickly.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Few observations from cruising around Tempe:

The Greek Village at Terrace/Rural, even though it's pretty generic looking, actually seems to work pretty well and I think is an improvement over the old tower-in-the-park dorms. The community center comes out and meets the corner at Terrace/Rural well. ASU's website says that the community center will have a retail component as well, which is great. Doubt it will ever happen given the backlash from reducing auto travel lanes on the less busy McClintock, but it would be awesome if they reduced Rural to two lanes in each direction, widened the sidewalks and added bike lanes. The new developments along Rural are all at least someone pedestrian oriented and it would be nice to start to change the complexion of Rural to match that.

Also noticed that there is some signage up around the Union showing that they already have some retail tenants lined up--I noticed Starbucks, Insomnia Cookies (who already have the new location up on their website) and Nekter Juice. I have no idea how there is a market for another Starbucks in the area--off the top of my head I can think of the one at Mill/5th, the one in Marina Heights, the one in the Chase offices, the one in the engineering dorms, and 2-3 on the main campus within walking distance. But they would know better than I. Hope there are more diverse retail tenants filling up the other spots.

ASU Surplus at Rio Salado/101 is having a moving sale, so it looks like Broadstone project there is moving forward. That once always seemed to me like a relatively easy one to build, so I suspect that will go relatively quickly.
The Starbucks at the Union is going to be the largest Starbucks in Arizona. Not sure on the Sq. Footage of the retail space but must be pretty big! The greek village center could use a nice coffee shop or juice bar. Even though there is a dutch bros nearby, an indoor seating area for a spot for students to hangout in between classes would be ideal.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:23 PM

Another development that I came across is the Millennium at Rio Salado project next to the Rio 2100 development. It consists of a 260, 4 story apartment with a food court style retail center on the frontage of rio salado. I saw the red notice sign out there. Ill try to get a picture of it today. Anyone have further information or news on that?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
The Starbucks at the Union is going to be the largest Starbucks in Arizona. Not sure on the Sq. Footage of the retail space but must be pretty big! The greek village center could use a nice coffee shop or juice bar. Even though there is a dutch bros nearby, an indoor seating area for a spot for students to hangout in between classes would be ideal.
What? How do you know its going to be largest starbucks in Arizona?

That is crazy if true.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manorastroman View Post
What? How do you know its going to be largest starbucks in Arizona?

That is crazy if true.
Union Tempe facebook page posted about it. Scroll down a few posts from April 12.

https://www.facebook.com/UnionTempe/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 12:56 AM

Mirabella

One of you construction types Riddle me this. What are they doing at this site with the flooding and moving around of dirt? Is their gear not stout enough (being sarcastic) to drill through the hard earth that they had to soak it or just what are they doing out there? Looks like someone playing tractor or something. Please advise!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Another development that I came across is the Millennium at Rio Salado project next to the Rio 2100 development. It consists of a 260, 4 story apartment with a food court style retail center on the frontage of rio salado. I saw the red notice sign out there. Ill try to get a picture of it today. Anyone have further information or news on that?
They gave a powerpoint to the Development Review Commission a few days back that is available here:

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=62669

Pretty bland to me, but it definitively not a landfill.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 1:39 AM

Just a few random pics of the downtown area from the roof of my parking garage.

Hopefully there should be a at least couple more cranes going up in the next few months as well

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:03 AM

^^ some very snazzy pics there thanks for sharing! i drive by this site every (ugh) day...but different perspective in glossy 2D :-)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:09 AM

Speaking of cranes. I took the bike next to the Pier site. It appears to have a walkway around the crane base which I don't recall seeing before. Does that mean they are ready to erect it? I also saw a trailer office which I had not seen before. Although I hadn't been by the site in a few months.

Last edited by ciweiss; Apr 18, 2018 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:26 AM

Found a new potential development on Terrace and Orange Street. Calls for a 7 story apartment with 271 units. On the site of the current College Town and Crossroads apartments. Should bring a similar look to Terrace like the Sterling 920 and vertex across the street. Can anyone located the plans/elevations? address is 1010-1044 E Orange Street. Finally bringing some life back to that area!

I tried to post a picture of the Red Public notice sign but I cant figure out how from my camera roll, any suggestions is appreciated!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Found a new potential development on Terrace and Orange Street. Calls for a 7 story apartment with 271 units. On the site of the current College Town and Crossroads apartments. Should bring a similar look to Terrace like the Sterling 920 and vertex across the street. Can anyone located the plans/elevations? address is 1010-1044 E Orange Street. Finally bringing some life back to that area!

I tried to post a picture of the Red Public notice sign but I cant figure out how from my camera roll, any suggestions is appreciated!
Nice find. I can't help with pictures off camera roll, but I did cruise by this morning and snap my own picture:

Based on the addresses, the acreage and the location of the red signs, I'm guessing this is just Crossroads and not College Town as well that's being redeveloped?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:47 AM

Yes based on the information available now I believe that is the case. I was hoping for it to be parallel with Terrace like the Sterling 920 to give that whole street a dense urban style of living feel. Next to go is hopefully the run down mini mart or a redevelopment of the retail center on the SW corner of Lemon/Terrace. Could use a facelift!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
One of you construction types Riddle me this. What are they doing at this site with the flooding and moving around of dirt? Is their gear not stout enough (being sarcastic) to drill through the hard earth that they had to soak it or just what are they doing out there? Looks like someone playing tractor or something. Please advise!
I was thinking the same thing!!!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
I keep wondering the same thing as well. I look at the webcam everyday for pieces of a crane or a base, but it's always more of the trucks playing in the sandbox.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I keep wondering the same thing as well. I look at the webcam everyday for pieces of a crane or a base, but it's always more of the trucks playing in the sandbox.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe
Based on the imagery and my experience in the early stages of development my assumption is that they are preparing the site by doing G&D (Grading and Drainage) while also relocating utilities off or on the site to provide an established connection. The excess dirt will soon be either relocated, or spread out evenly over the whole site to provide a flat base to begin the foundation. Drilling for utilities to run vertically up through the building.

Thats my best guess but a pretty common first step for site prep! cant wait for it to start going vertical!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 2:42 PM

Thanks for that explanation, but

Quote:
Based on the imagery and my experience in the early stages of development my assumption is that they are preparing the site by doing G&D (Grading and Drainage) while also relocating utilities off or on the site to provide an established connection. The excess dirt will soon be either relocated, or spread out evenly over the whole site to provide a flat base to begin the foundation. Drilling for utilities to run vertically up through the building.

Thats my best guess but a pretty common first step for site prep! cant wait for it to start going vertical!
What you stated is most probably valid but to say it is a pretty common step is simply not true. I have been watching high rise construction projects on this site for years from their inception and this is the first time I have ever seen this particular procedure so no it is not common. Just to clarify.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:22 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
What you stated is most probably valid but to say it is a pretty common step is simply not true. I have been watching high rise construction projects on this site for years from their inception and this is the first time I have ever seen this particular procedure so no it is not common. Just to clarify.
I was referencing the process of Grading and Drainage is common. I apologize for the confusion/misinterpretation. The particular way they are preparing the site may be unusual but my best guess is thats what it is for. ASU does have their own way of doing things after all!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest